PDA

View Full Version : Prog Rock Thoughts...

Haselsh1
21-08-2009, 15:04
Given that I am a massive Prog Rock fan has anybody any thoughts on Porcupine Tree...??? What should I know about this band and which of their albums would be recommended...?? I've seen a few on Amazon but the ones that appear the best seem to be on DVD-A which is no good for me.

I've not checked to see if any of their material is on vinyl; somehow I doubt it, however I've noticed that there is none advertised on SACD. I need to know more about them.

DanJennings
21-08-2009, 15:12
I really like porcupine tree...
they constantly insist on not being called prog rock, but of course they are.

I really like the album 'Stupid Dream' and I reckon it's a good one to start with...
They kind of remind me of post Fish Marillion, but better.... very melodic.

Think Radiohead crossed with Spock's Beard

Spectral Morn
21-08-2009, 15:17
Given that I am a massive Prog Rock fan has anybody any thoughts on Porcupine Tree...??? What should I know about this band and which of their albums would be recommended...?? I've seen a few on Amazon but the ones that appear the best seem to be on DVD-A which is no good for me.

I've not checked to see if any of their material is on vinyl; somehow I doubt it, however I've noticed that there is none advertised on SACD. I need to know more about them.

Hi Shaun

Keeping well I hope.

Porcupine Tree are a fairly prolific band and have put out a lot of material over the years. It ranges from fairly spacey to the more recent hard rock style. The DVD-A albums come with a CD except In Absentia which is CD or DVD-A.

In Absentia was the first album I got by them which sees the beginning of the more heavy music. I actually prefer the earlier material but I am not familiar enough with them yet to talk with much authority. If I am honest I actually prefer a spin off project by Steve Wilson PT's main man and that band is called No Man.

I have loved all of No Man's albums at least those I have been able to track down, but if pushed I would say that Flowermouth and Together we are Stranger are the best. Its a very much more gentle and introspective style of music haunting and ethereal....really beautiful IMHO.

Regards D S D L

DanJennings
21-08-2009, 15:18
you can get some of their stuff on vinyl here.... couldn't see Stupid Dream in there though.
I hear Fear Of A Blank Planet is meant to be very good though
http://www.burningshed.com/store/porcupinetree/collection/93/

John
21-08-2009, 15:33
It will depemd on which period you perfer the last few albums have been a bit heavier so guess you might perfer the earlier work They are a great band perhaps check out some tunes on youtube first

starless and slightly fat
28-08-2009, 01:53
If I had to pick one to start with, it would be 'Deadwing'.

It's not my favorite, that one being 'Fear of a Blank Planet'. However, the DVD-A mix is stellar, as is the PCM track.

Or, take a risk and buy the upcoming 'The Incident' which will be released in September.

-Scott

Beechwoods
28-08-2009, 23:53
I first heard them when 'Voyage 34' came out and got the 12" which I loved. I later discovered that that EP was somewhat atypical of their sound... 'The Sky Moves Sideways' is probably the best of their early long-players, but they were still very derivative of Pink Floyd IMO. I've not heard their stuff since then, though I did check out Opeth on the strength of Steve Wilson having produced their album 'Blackwater Park' and must admit that I liked Opeth a lot more!

DanJennings
29-08-2009, 06:33
I did not know Wilson produced Blackwater Park! I bloody love that album!
One of the best metal albums in recent memory...
you learn something new every day.
Opeth are great though.... and I have to say, one of the earsplittingly loudest bands I've ever seen

John
29-08-2009, 07:24
Yes Blackwater Park is a classic and also perfer this to Porcupine Tree
Looking forward to seeing them again with Dream Theater and POS een awhile since I seen POS
Loudest gig i been to was Yngwie back in about 85 only metal gig i heard people shout turn it down

starless and slightly fat
01-09-2009, 20:20
I did not know Wilson produced Blackwater Park! I bloody love that album!
One of the best metal albums in recent memory...
you learn something new every day.
Opeth are great though.... and I have to say, one of the earsplittingly loudest bands I've ever seen

FYI- Wilson also produced 'Deliverance' and 'Damnation', that latter being their mostly acoustic recording.

Haselsh1
02-09-2009, 08:29
What does anyone/everyone think of this for new music...???

http://www.triomusicgroup.com/

chris@panteg
02-09-2009, 09:26
Well it sounds very self indulgent as only Prog can be ' i quite like it , but my other half detests this sort of music (she has threatened to take an axe to my system) no joke.

Barry
02-09-2009, 13:16
Try doing the Linn 'toe-tapping' test to that, or even trying to hum along!

I thought it was rather good. Suspect however, I would go off it after a while; not sure though - will have to listen to some more.

Haselsh1
02-09-2009, 13:29
Hmmm... Agree with all comments on this new music apart from taking an axe to one's system. I am going to buy the CD as I love seriously disjointed music and totally agree... try toe tapping to it...!!!