PDA

View Full Version : linn basik plus buggered bearings

karma67
16-02-2015, 17:08
i think mine are shot as when the arm is held between my thumb and finger at the screw points there is play and a slight knocking sound.
ive borrowed my mates linn basik turntable which has the bog standard lvx arm and theres no play at all.
i can buy this deck for £150 which seems to be the cheapest way out of the problem.
what id like to know is how would the failed bearings affect sonic playback? and is there much difference between the linn basik plus and the linn basik lvx arms? on a budget here so please no suggestions regarding spending £300+ on a better arm. :)
cheers guys.

The Barbarian
16-02-2015, 17:16
Hows it happened would be more to the point?

DSJR
16-02-2015, 17:20
The Basik Plus *at the time* was the better arm, the fixed headshell and improved shell-to-arm coupling a definite advantage. The LVX could suffer terribly by over-tightening the headshell lock, the socket working loose and wrecking the sound completely. often fixed with some 'stud-loc' in the joint.

My advice is to ask Johnnie at Audio Origami if he can have a look at the bearings for you (Linn don't support these now) and you never know, he may well get it better than new, as long as the rubbery counterweight insert hasn't all but liquefied yet as many do.

The Basik turntable was an honest enough product with some cost cutting mainly on the finish of certain parts. No comparison with a typical properly set up Rega 3 though IMO.

PLEASE avoid the Akito. Early ones are made of plasticine (it seems), mid period ones are a bit grainy sounding to my ears and the current one is FIFTEEN HUNDRED QUID :lol: :doh: :mental:

Good luck :)

karma67
16-02-2015, 17:23
good question,to be honest it may have been there from when i bought the AR turntable as i was a bit naive about such things,or it may just be one of those things?
ive also read that you should remove the arm to change cartriges as that can damage them,that im guilty off as i only read that last night lol

karma67
16-02-2015, 17:27
The Basik Plus *at the time* was the better arm, the fixed headshell and improved shell-to-arm coupling a definite advantage. The LVX could suffer terribly by over-tightening the headshell lock, the socket working loose and wrecking the sound completely. often fixed with some 'stud-loc' in the joint.

My advice is to ask Johnnie at Audio Origami if he can have a look at the bearings for you (Linn don't support these now) and you never know, he may well get it better than new, as long as the rubbery counterweight insert hasn't all but liquefied yet as many do.

The Basik turntable was an honest enough product with some cost cutting mainly on the finish of certain parts. No comparison with a typical properly set up Rega 3 though IMO.

PLEASE avoid the Akito. Early ones are made of plasticine (it seems), mid period ones are a bit grainy sounding to my ears and the current one is FIFTEEN HUNDRED QUID :lol: :doh: :mental:

Good luck :)

cheers im awaiting a reply to costs involved. yes the basik turntable sounds ok compared to my AR the turntable with the basik plus fitted.