PDA

View Full Version : me and danjennings are having a good day!!

The Vinyl Adventure
21-08-2009, 10:39
i went in to cash converters to look for sl1210's the other day they had 3 pairs

1 tatty pair for £259 (one of them had a busted arm)
1 pretty nice looking pair for £440
and 2 individual units in very nice condition in flight cases marked up with one lable saying £250 .. i made the asumtion that these were £250 each and moved on

the next day i went back and thought id be cheeky and ask if the price applyed to the pair or individual, thinking he was going to laugh and say individual. he didnt actually know, so he called over his superviser who without really looking said "for the pair". without really taking a second to think i said what do you need for a deposit. £50 was his response.. i tried to remain cool, walked up to the counter signed the bit of paper and gave the man £50
that was 2 days ago. i have since scraped the money together collected dans half, and this morning went into the shop and paid the rest off! i, at one point, pushing my luck, asked the man how much profit they make on the kit they sell.. he said "normally we take something in for £10 and sell it for £20", he then looked rather sheepish and said "in the case of your decks we took them in for... well... lets just say ... over £200"
i think i might have got me a good deal. they are in very good nick haveing apeared to have spent thier lives in flight cases

please excuse the below par images, the iphone is a bit poo at photos in any light.. so low light are ... well you can see how crap! il crack out the proper camera when i get them home from the shop later!

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/e0b5e864.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/827b9e92.jpg

price i got both for:

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/2432b2db.jpg

no grime in the places the other decks were grimey

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/ca5be32b.jpg

flight cases.. should make a few quid back on these

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/9ad5e16f.jpg

the price i think they were meant to be sold for.. good job they didnt spot that price lable

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/8580cb65.jpg

... feeling a bit smug today.. theres nothing like getting a good deal

The Vinyl Adventure
21-08-2009, 10:43
...p.s. does anyone wanna sell me a lid at some point.. im sure my cats would be able to do any damage but i think i might like to play it on the safe side!

Alex_UK
21-08-2009, 10:43
You lucky, lucky barstewards! Enjoy them!

Spectral Morn
21-08-2009, 10:44
BARGAIN of the year so far well done. The flight-cases alone are worth probably about £400 new or a bit more.

This is what happens when you employ rubbish staff your profits walk out the door.

Anyway Hamish you and Dan have done very well and are now on that very slippery road to Marco land.....

Regards D S D L

DanJennings
21-08-2009, 10:51
I have literally just been staring at those pictures for about 5 minutes!
I am a little bit excited! I can't wait to actually spin a little piece of plastic with a hole (whoa!) it's been so long....

Mike
21-08-2009, 11:01
I'm moved this out of 'Private Exhibitions'... That area is basically a 'For Sale' section. ;)

Unless of course you're offering them to us for £250? :lol:

Marco
21-08-2009, 11:03
Well done, guys - you have truly scooped a great deal! :)

Enjoy! You have a huge pool of knowledge and experience here of modifiying the Techy to tap into should you need it :cool:

We expect to see lots of write-ups on how things are progressing when you get round to spinning some tunes at home!

Marco.

The Vinyl Adventure
21-08-2009, 11:17
.. year sorry didnt mean to put it in private exhibision am just a bit over exited...
think i might stick those cases on ebay then.. £400 new eh.. i did get us a good deal didnt i?!
i already have my oc9 removed from the roksan and sat on a oc headshell ready to be mounted when i get home.
gotta get em home yet mind, i nearly killed my self walking from cash converters to here, it turns out sl1210's in flightcases are rather weighty!!

Spectral Morn
21-08-2009, 11:39
.. year sorry didnt mean to put it in private exhibision am just a bit over exited...
think i might stick those cases on ebay then.. £400 new eh.. i did get us a good deal didnt i?!
i already have my oc9 removed from the roksan and sat on a oc headshell ready to be mounted when i get home.
gotta get em home yet mind, i nearly killed my self walking from cash converters to here, it turns out sl1210's in flightcases are rather weighty!!

I said maybe about £400 anyway if you want them modded by Dave Cawley and the like I can't think of a better way to ship gear about the country than in a flight case....keep them.

Regards D S D L

Ammonite Audio
21-08-2009, 11:58
...p.s. does anyone wanna sell me a lid at some point.. im sure my cats would be able to do any damage but i think i might like to play it on the safe side!

You can get a new one for a reasonable sum:

http://www.qualitydj.co.uk/spares-technics-1210-spares-c-29_31.html

The Vinyl Adventure
21-08-2009, 12:05
I said maybe about £400 anyway if you want them modded by Dave Cawley and the like I can't think of a better way to ship gear about the country than in a flight case....keep them.

Regards D S D L

that, is a very good point!
expecially as they are "swanflight" cases at £49 new... its def worth keeping!

Spectral Morn
21-08-2009, 12:20
that, is a very good point!
expecially as they are "swanflight" cases at £49 new... its def worth keeping!

Thats cheap for flight cases I was told once that these cost much more new....:doh: I smell a con, I didnt fall in to it. Maybe it was because they were custom cases and not production ones Ummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Regards D S D L

DSJR
21-08-2009, 14:13
Alex, no point in trying Cash Converters in Ipswich, they never seem to have any decent audio gear there, although I only look in about three or four times a year.....

I've seen lid + hinges for these on eBay and still think the arm is good for most things, if not the best for a Denon 103. the arm-height adjustability may just reduce rigidity though, although re-wiring, re-footing, re-supplying and re-matting works wonders even before you've changed arms.

Good luck and hope you get most of the funds back from flogging the Thorens :)

The Vinyl Adventure
21-08-2009, 14:38
Alex, no point in trying Cash Converters in Ipswich, they never seem to have any decent audio gear there, although I only look in about three or four times a year.....

I've seen lid + hinges for these on eBay and still think the arm is good for most things, if not the best for a Denon 103. the arm-height adjustability may just reduce rigidity though, although re-wiring, re-footing, re-supplying and re-matting works wonders even before you've changed arms.

Good luck and hope you get most of the funds back from flogging the Thorens :)

cheers! im very happy to have got one of these decks now.. i feel like spending money on it will bever be a waste/dead money .. and thats quite a nice feeling!

im going for a mat first i think .. then save up for a power supply! loads of fun!!

Alex_UK
21-08-2009, 15:20

That is so spooky - you read my mind! I'm scared now! :sofa:

The funny thing is, before I found this forum, I had no idea they are "in vogue" by audiophiles - I could never understand why the SL1210's were "frowned upon" by hi-fi types years ago - for my sins I used to DJ around Norwich/Norfolk (nothing glamourous, I can assure you!) but some of the clubs/bars I worked had them, and I always thought they sounded great, compared to the Dual I had at home at the time. I even had a pair for a while, but only ever used on the road - sold them for a lot less than you've just paid boys, but it was about 17 years ago!

Damn you lot... you don't 'arf get me thinking... Anyone wanna buy a Pro-Ject RPM 4? :eyebrows:

The Vinyl Adventure
21-08-2009, 15:55
bloody hell i wish today would go quicker...
...after all this i really hope i do actually like how this thing sounds!