PDA

View Full Version : Phono amp question

Tom-Brown
15-02-2015, 12:17
This is going to show what a total novice that I am!!! At the moment I run my turntable through a phono stage to my amp which does not have a dedicated phono stage input. I'm looking to upgrade my amp in the future.
The question is - If I get a new amp with a dedicated phono stage, can I still use my existing phono amp into the new phono stage input without causing any damage or will it enhance the amp phono stage??

YNWaN
15-02-2015, 12:36
No, you can't.

You could connect your current phonostage to one of the line level inputs, but not the phono input. If you did, it wouldn't in any way enhance it, it would create a very odd balance as the RIAA curve would be applied twice and quite possibly overload the input.

Tom-Brown
15-02-2015, 13:56
Thanks for that, short and to the point :) :)

Graham

DSJR
15-02-2015, 17:23
The main question is also, how many boxes do you want? The enthusiasts here don't care how many boxes their stereo's contain - and that's fine by me as my lash-ups are this way:rolleyes: - but others like a simpler life, so buy an amp or preamp with phono stage built in :)

Good luck in your audio 'journey' and don't forget the music on the way...

walpurgis
15-02-2015, 17:33
If you buy an amp with built in phono stage. You can plug the external phono stage into an AUX input and run two turntables, should it take your fancy.

Gordon Steadman
15-02-2015, 17:46
If you buy an amp with built in phono stage. You can plug the external phono stage into an AUX input and run two turntables, should it take your fancy.

Just what I do plus I use the usually unused radio input for a second phono stage when I fancy mucking about with three of my turntables:)

If I fancy using four, I could use the tape input as well:lol:

Tom-Brown
16-02-2015, 13:51
Oh No!!! Now you've got me thinking!!! TWO turntables :eek::eek:

The Barbarian
16-02-2015, 13:54
The main question is also, how many boxes do you want? The enthusiasts here don't care how many boxes their stereo's contain - and that's fine by me as my lash-ups are this way:rolleyes: - but others like a simpler life, so buy an amp or preamp with phono stage built in :)

Well blow me down i was under the impression you had to break your system down into as boxes as possible to look like you are a proper serious Hi-Fi enthusiast loike..

Justification for doing so ofc is the usual BS

:eyebrows:

YNWaN
16-02-2015, 15:30
Are you having a 'pop' Dave as you know my system has loads of boxes? Even more at present as I currently have two phonostages connected to my pre-amp (six boxes and another two for the pre). However, the second stage is only temporary and will shortly be removed.
----
To play a record (which is usually all you can do in my system) there are 12 boxes (if you include the external crossovers for the speakers) and 8 mains leads. However, I don't think such box count excess in a necessity (as such) or that it means I have 'won' in any way (whatever that means) - but please don't let that get in the way of anybody's preconceptions or prejudices!

For what it's worth I didn't think the OP had anything to do with box count and interpreted it just as wanting to know how existing equipment could, or could not, be used with any new gear.

Tom-Brown
16-02-2015, 15:36
Are you having a pop Dave as you know my system has loads of boxes. Even more at present as I currently have two phonostages connected to my pre-amp (six boxes in total). However, the second stage is only temporary and will shortly be removed.

For what it's worth I didn't think the OP had anything to do with box count and interpreted just as wanting to know how existing equipment could, or could not, be used with any new gear.

:lol::lol: I WAS trying to keep it simple, just bought a new amp!! but now considering 2nd turntable for my "mono" stuff!!!!!! Like most hobbies - the possibilities are only limited by available dosh!!!! :lol: :lol:

YNWaN
16-02-2015, 16:15
And space - box count is a genuine issue for many. The problem is that convenience and performance rarely go hand in hand (though there are exceptions).

DSJR
16-02-2015, 17:12
Are you having a 'pop' Dave as you know my system has loads of boxes? Even more at present as I currently have two phonostages connected to my pre-amp (six boxes and another two for the pre). However, the second stage is only temporary and will shortly be removed.
----
To play a record (which is usually all you can do in my system) there are 12 boxes (if you include the external crossovers for the speakers) and 8 mains leads. However, I don't think such box count excess in a necessity (as such) or that it means I have 'won' in any way (whatever that means) - but please don't let that get in the way of anybody's preconceptions or prejudices!

For what it's worth I didn't think the OP had anything to do with box count and interpreted it just as wanting to know how existing equipment could, or could not, be used with any new gear.

I wasn't even thinking of anyone else, as both my 'systems' have loads of boxes, the office/workshop one especially (two box phono stage, three box DAC plus bulky transport, three power amps [one for everyday and two for backup :rolleyes:], two preamps [one home-made passive and an active one used now for input switching from CD to computer) and that's without the speakers, cheap turntables and so on that are residing in the loft right now...

twotone
16-02-2015, 23:13
:lol::lol: I WAS trying to keep it simple, just bought a new amp!! but now considering 2nd turntable for my "mono" stuff!!!!!! Like most hobbies - the possibilities are only limited by available dosh!!!! :lol: :lol:

Just throw away one of your speakers, job done:cool: