PDA

View Full Version : ?? Best cantilever and tip for a Denon 103

Wakefield Turntables
14-02-2015, 15:27
Guys, I have a Denon 103, its rebodied in Aluminium and has equal mV output to left and right channels. I'm in the process of refining my Valve system and would like help/advice with regards what constitutes the best cantilever/diamond setup. All comments and suggestion are most welcome. :)

Tarzan
14-02-2015, 15:36
ESCO:)

NRG
14-02-2015, 18:35
Nah! You'll wait 6 months to get it back. Send it to Goldring along with the original plastic body and ask them to rebuild it and put the plastic body back on. ;) How's that for out of the box thinking!

Marco
14-02-2015, 21:22
Why has this been posted in Past Masters? Honestly, I give up! :doh:

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
14-02-2015, 21:56

Marco.

It's a classic piece of hifi kit.

Marco
14-02-2015, 22:20
Yes, but it's still in current production, daftee... Check out the 'Analogue Art' section, and count how many threads about the 103 already exist there, and that might provide a clue as to where this thread should've also been started! ;)

Marco.

StuN
15-02-2015, 14:08
I use a 103r which is now in an Aluminium body. It cost next to nothing as it had no cantilever, so I sent it to Soundsmith for their alloy cantilever and basic elliptical diamond. My reasoning was that each model of cartridge has a 'voice' and as the original 103r came with an alloy cantilever, that is what I chose for the rebuild. I suppose I was trying to get as close to the original but with better tracking from the new diamond. Is it the best? I doubt it. Would a ruby cantilever be 'better'? Well, almost certainly 'different', but at much greater cost. Do I enjoy it? Most certainly. Would I do it again. Oh yes! I think it is the most cost effective mod to the 103r while keeping nearly all of what we loved about it in the first place.

Tarzan
15-02-2015, 15:09

Marco.

Sheep playing hard to get Marco?

:ner:

Wakefield Turntables
15-02-2015, 15:14
Sheep playing hard to get Marco?

:ner:

+1 the grumpy old bugger. :ner:

anubisgrau
01-03-2015, 22:55
I think no retepper has such a reputation of an expert for Denon 103 like Thomas Schick in Berlin.

Theo
02-03-2015, 11:41
I know that the ESCo recommendation has been smacked down due to timescales in completing the work, but if it's a second cartridge and you're prepared to wait, the sapphire cantilever and Paratrace stylus that ESCo install turns the 103 into a truly wonderful musical communicator: it has the best qualities of the original 103 and gives it steroids. I waited three months for mine (a second one, as the first cantilever was torn off by an errant duster), but it was worthwhile. When I finally wear this tip down, I'll get it retipped again.

Cheap tip: as the aluminium bodied DL103 has no stylus guard, I now use an old opaque 35mm film canister over both cart and headshell to protect that delicate cantilever.

Barry
02-03-2015, 14:38
I know that the ESCo recommendation has been smacked down due to timescales in completing the work, but if it's a second cartridge and you're prepared to wait, the sapphire cantilever and Paratrace stylus that ESCo install turns the 103 into a truly wonderful musical communicator: it has the best qualities of the original 103 and gives it steroids. I waited three months for mine (a second one, as the first cantilever was torn off by an errant duster), but it was worthwhile. When I finally wear this tip down, I'll get it retipped again.

Cheap tip: as the aluminium bodied DL103 has no stylus guard, I now use an old opaque 35mm film canister over both cart and headshell to protect that delicate cantilever.

How much do ESCo charge for such work?

Good tip re using a 35mm film canister as a cartridge protector. :)

Theo
02-03-2015, 17:57
Mine was done 18 months ago: from memory I think it was £250. It's worth giving them a call to find out what the current costs are.

Barry
02-03-2015, 18:05
Mine was done 18 months ago: from memory I think it was £250. It's worth giving them a call to find out what the current costs are.

Thanks Theo.

dario1954
07-06-2015, 18:55
I had a 103 heavily modified by Torlai from Italy, boron cantiler, Geyger 2 diamond, resulting in a very good sound.

Torlai offers different rebuild/upgrade options, everyone should find what's suits own needs.

BEWARE:
I'm in no way related to Torlai, I can speak ONLY about what he did for me.

kor952
18-06-2015, 00:23
This one did my 103R with alu cantilever and shibata for less as 150 Euro about 18 months ago within a month.

http://www.nadelspezialist.de/index1a.htm

dhemen
18-06-2015, 19:01
Does retiping changes the characteristic of the denon's sound ?