PDA

View Full Version : Someone has been trying to crack my password.

10Y
13-02-2015, 21:33
Worth a mention. Someone has tried 5 times to find out my password. fortunately the forum notified me and has blocked them for 15 minutes.

No the sort of behaviour I would expect from people posting on forums in this type of interest.

Best all be on our guard.

The Barbarian
13-02-2015, 21:42
Are you sure Paul? seems a bit strange since your first post was this one above! Ill be truthful im very observant & i never even noticed you had joined up.Why would someone want a pop at your account?

Marco
13-02-2015, 21:55
Paul from 'Paul', eh? :hmm:

Is it raining there at the moment? ;)

Marco.

P.S Proper geographical location on your profile, please. That is mandatory. Ta!

walpurgis
13-02-2015, 21:55
Would you please give us an intro Paul and tell us who you are and about your interest in Hi Fi. You need a location in your profile. Thanks.

The Barbarian
13-02-2015, 22:13
Maybe Saint Paul Island in da Indian Ocean!

Audio Advent
13-02-2015, 23:19

Marco.

P.S Proper geographical location on your profile, please. That is mandatory. Ta!

I've been through Paul! It triggering the thought of "Mousehole" said in a Mickey Mouse voice.. So I Google Mapped it and found indeed that is what I or someone else said in the campervan we were driving around Cornwall in on seeing the sign. Mousehole is another little place down the road from Paul.

If that sounds confusing, here's the link: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.0890895,-5.5448179,15z

Audio Advent
13-02-2015, 23:22
10Y - you're on the first page of the member's list. Could be someone simply testing to see if people really do use "password" or any of the other easily guessed passwords that are so commonly talked about on Yahoo News etc

Marco
13-02-2015, 23:31
I've been through Paul! It triggering the thought of "Mousehole" said in a Mickey Mouse voice.. So I Google Mapped it and found indeed that is what I or someone else said in the campervan we were driving around Cornwall in on seeing the sign. Mousehole is another little place down the road from Paul.

If that sounds confusing, here's the link: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@50.0890895,-5.5448179,15z

Ok, Sam, noted. The point is, how is the average person (who's never visited there) meant to know that Paul is an actual place, especially when the name being given by the member as being his name is also Paul? It quite naturally sounds like a piss take, which is why 'Paul' isn't enough on his profile, in terms of location details.

In that case it should read as: 'Paul, Sheffield, UK' :)

Marco.

walpurgis
13-02-2015, 23:34
Mousehole is another little place down the road from Paul.

Been there.

It's near Sheffield.

SPS
13-02-2015, 23:55
Paul is also village on the banks of the humber...

Floyddroid
14-02-2015, 06:14
This is apauling tee hee!

Floyddroid
14-02-2015, 06:16
On a more serious note, my website has been down for a week now having been hacked by an Isis hacker. Has anyone else with websites or blogs had similar problems? I have had to inform the Police etc and find it all quite worrying.

Audio Al
14-02-2015, 08:20
Paul

first post yesterday ?

I thought Paul was a film about a alien , made me laugh , funny it was , funny :D

NRG
14-02-2015, 09:32
On a more serious note, my website has been down for a week now having been hacked by an Isis hacker. Has anyone else with websites or blogs had similar problems? I have had to inform the Police etc and find it all quite worrying.

What s/w are you running? My best advise is to keep it up to date like Windows and to delete the obvious admin accounts and create different name replacements. There are a number of anti spammer/ hacker plugins available depending on the s/w, they are not a guarantee against the determined hackers but it's better than nothing...

Andrei
14-02-2015, 11:13
Paul

first post yesterday ?

The conclusion must be that yesterday it was Sep 2011.

RichB
14-02-2015, 11:15

Not good.:(

twickers
14-02-2015, 19:35
:drugs:

struth
14-02-2015, 21:02
Paul

first post yesterday ?

I thought Paul was a film about a alien , made me laugh , funny it was , funny :D

Maybe he only gets to earth every 3 or 4 years;)

Audio Advent
14-02-2015, 21:16
Paul

first post yesterday ?

If you want to look at photos people post up, you have to join. But that doesn't mean you have anything to say... I joined in order to look at some photos in a thread but didn't post anything for about a year.

Audio Advent
14-02-2015, 21:18
Ok, Sam, noted. The point is, how is the average person (who's never visited there) meant to know that Paul is an actual place, especially when the name being given by the member as being his name is also Paul? It quite naturally sounds like a piss take, which is why 'Paul' isn't enough on his profile, in terms of location details.

In that case it should read as: 'Paul, Sheffield, UK' :)

Marco.

I need to fix my profile... My name is actually Dixie London (people call me London) and I'm from a small town called Sam in the Outer Hebrides. Got them the wrong way round... doh.

struth
14-02-2015, 21:59
best putting Sam (O Hebrides) to avoid confusion:)

10Y
15-02-2015, 16:27
Are you sure Paul? seems a bit strange since your first post was this one above! Ill be truthful im very observant & i never even noticed you had joined up.Why would someone want a pop at your account?

It was the forum admin who told me it had been hacked.

10Y
15-02-2015, 16:30

Marco.

Sorry Marco, was just a sleeper membership up to now. I was woken out of sleep by the warning of hacking. Might aswell join in a little now.

10Y is obviosuly a favourite valve of mine.

Marco
15-02-2015, 16:38
Hi Paul,

No problem - at least something positive has come out of hacker-boy's shenanigans! ;)

Hope you enjoy becoming a regular part of the AoS community :cool:

Marco.

SquireC
15-02-2015, 16:47
You're not on your own.
The Mods informed me someone had tried to do the same to me.
The ip address was pointing to a web site in Japan.

Good to see my password is effective enough.

Weird though.
:scratch:

Worth a mention. Someone has tried 5 times to find out my password. fortunately the forum notified me and has blocked them for 15 minutes.

No the sort of behaviour I would expect from people posting on forums in this type of interest.

Best all be on our guard.

Audio Al
16-02-2015, 06:16
Dear Audio Al,

Someone has tried to log into your account on The Art of Sound Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 120.83.5.164

All the best,
The Art of Sound Forum

BTH K10A
16-02-2015, 07:09
So you haven't moved to China then :D

StanleyB
16-02-2015, 07:40
But why hack into the account from Audio Al? Is somebody trying to figure out where he gets his tips on good car boot sales from?

awkwardbydesign
16-02-2015, 09:55
I had a similar email.

The Barbarian
16-02-2015, 10:00
I don't care!

Marco
16-02-2015, 10:26
Some no-life asshole (aparently from China) has been trying for a while to hack into AoS user accounts. Every time it happens, we block the IP address concerned. Eventually the loser will get bored and move on, so just ignore it and make sure that your passwords are tighter than the entrance to Al's wallet! ;)

Marco.

zanash
22-03-2015, 18:47
yes I was notified similarly .............several attemps were made to crack my password ....the admin provided the ip address from which the attack was made ...this was an internet company in china ...

I posted this at the time to warn people

montesquieu
22-03-2015, 20:54
Actually this happened to me, I got an alert:

Dear montesquieu,

Someone has tried to log into your account on The Art of Sound Forum with an incorrect password at least 5 times. This person has been prevented from attempting to login to your account for the next 15 minutes.

The person trying to log into your account had the following IP address: 117.169.1.68

IP given above is a China IP addess

http://en.utrace.de/?query=117.169.1.68

Marco
22-03-2015, 21:01
Old hat, guys - it's all already been discussed to death here: http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?37124-Attempt-to-hack-into-my-account

Let's just ignore the waste-of-air idiots now, as the matter is in hand, so let's not devote any further bandwidth to the issue. Cheers! :)

Marco.

struth
22-03-2015, 21:03
Someone using a vpn to track it to China falsely... These things need better controls tbh. Far to many cowboy outfits running these with no trackability.

I will merge this thread with the others shortly

Marco
22-03-2015, 22:50
Cheers, Grant :thumbsup:

Marco.