PDA

View Full Version : What music gets first listen on your new kit...?

rdpx
12-02-2015, 22:54
Hi

Looks like I may be about to test and then most likely bring home a new pair of speakers tomorrow.

Which made me wonder what music I am likely to take down with me to listen to and also what will be the first thing I play when I set up the new system.

So - a couple of questions for you all:

1. If you could only take ONE record/CD/whatever to test new kit, what would you take?

2. When you finally have the new (insert piece of kit here) all set up and ready to go, what is the first music you play on it?

Off the top of my head, I am thinking that tomorrow I might take along my CD of John Zorn's SPILLANE [nb link to youtube] (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW7BjndJ8QI)

When I get them back home and all is plumbed in I am really not sure. Currently thinking A LOVE SUPREME, so I can hear that bass that I know has been there these past few years.... but I will let you know.

R.

::champagne:

sumday
12-02-2015, 23:08
VAN HALEN..."FAIR WARNING"

when new kit is being checked out I find this album perfect.
the easy bit is of course the pyrotechnic guitar widdle but I find alex van halen's superb drum playing to be a great system tester.
if this album is not on your rock radar I strongly suggest you check it out........the double kickdrum on "HEAR ABOUT IT LATER" is .....ahem...."the bomb"!!!!!

struth
12-02-2015, 23:13
Ralph McTell. Streets vinyl....cd, new favorites Alison Krauss.

Ninanina
12-02-2015, 23:14
The first cd I ALWAYS play with a new bit of hardware is Derrin Nauendorf - Live At The Boardwalk - It's a superb live album and as I've seen Derrin dozens of times live I know what it should sound like...

http://i1036.photobucket.com/albums/a450/ninanina2/Derrin33.jpg (http://s1036.photobucket.com/user/ninanina2/media/Derrin33.jpg.html)

walpurgis
12-02-2015, 23:18
Currently, my regular 'test CD' is 'Are You Shpongled' By Shpongle. It's a superb recording and had some very deep notes at the beginning that most speakers can't reproduce properly. As for vinyl, I'd pick something by Eat Static.

RichB
12-02-2015, 23:49
Robbie Robertson - How to become clairvoyant

Great opening bass from pino palladino, pinpoint guitar solos and hairs on the back of the neck when the backing vocal comes in. If it doesn't do this I know summats up.

rdpx
13-02-2015, 00:15
Robbie Robertson - How to become clairvoyant

Great opening bass from pino palladino, pinpoint guitar solos and hairs on the back of the neck when the backing vocal comes in. If it doesn't do this I know summats up.

All these guitars are making me think I might have to try and find Friday Night in San Francisco... (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3BzAKHCEvo)

I haven't even heard of half the names being touted here, but am liking what I hear so far.

Gordon Steadman
13-02-2015, 07:34
Time out - Dave Brubeck.

jollyfix
13-02-2015, 07:36
Astounding sounds LP, when i first started getting into proper hifi playing this LP i would hear bits in the mix i never heard on my old kit, wind chimes and the like. City of Lagoons main test track, this floyd like track has a very open bass drum,some hate the sound of it and feel its not mixed, dampened etc, for me sounds real. I can tell straight away when i listen to that if the kit is up to scratch.
d22rmKeRVCc

Anthony K
13-02-2015, 08:45
Nils Landgren Funk Unit - Sisters of Arequipa

Audio Al
13-02-2015, 10:19
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tR2_xeM7UI

This track or the album :D

DanJennings
13-02-2015, 18:51
Bjork - Homogenic for me.
Really great recording and fantastic album.

Oldpinkman
13-02-2015, 21:26
Joan armatrading. Love and affection.
Katie melua down & out
Pink Floyd - money
Bach double violin concerto - David oistrach

Audio Al
13-02-2015, 23:55
Joan armatrading. Love and affection.

Oh Yes :)

struth
14-02-2015, 00:45
The 180 gram vinyl of Supertramp's crime of the century is a fantastic test of a system. It is so much better than the cd or the original vinyl press which was crap.

struth
14-02-2015, 14:53
Another recent vinyl is the mfsl recording of Roy Orbison's greatest hits. I am using it at moment to set up and test a new cart as it's a fantastic recording and I now know what it sounds like pretty well.

Desmo
14-02-2015, 18:34
Annie Lennox - Diva This album gives me a clear indication of the impact of any new item I put in the system.

Pete The Cat
14-02-2015, 20:05
Rush "Hemispheres" side two. Partly because I know it like the back of my hand, and partly because it's got most of the sounds you might ever expect to hear on a rock album, from wind chimes down to Rickenbacker bass.

Pete

Tom-Brown
16-02-2015, 20:21
Got a great 1st press mint copy of Rumours by Fleetwood Mac!!! sounds brilliant !!! great to test anything :)

johnB
16-02-2015, 22:36
2011 180gm 45rpm double version of Fleetwood Mac's Rumours is my weapon of choice on first listen to a new component ......mastered from original analog tapes.
Nice

rdpx
17-02-2015, 00:39
Time out - Dave Brubeck.

I've been listening to this all day.

struth
17-02-2015, 00:44
Jazz at the Pawnshop is another excellent test cd or vinyl if your lucky enough to own one.

User211
17-02-2015, 03:04
Currently, my regular 'test CD' is 'Are You Shpongled' By Shpongle. It's a superb recording and had some very deep notes at the beginning that most speakers can't reproduce properly. As for vinyl, I'd pick something by Eat Static.

I hope you are aware of Younger Brother too?

shane
17-02-2015, 10:01
Jazz at the Pawnshop is another excellent test cd or vinyl if your lucky enough to own one.

That's the one I go for every time.