PDA

View Full Version : Rega DAC - impressed

Jason P
11-02-2015, 14:08
Hi all,

Decided to take the plunge and get one of the last silver DACs available to match the rest of the system (Brio-R and Apollo-R). Got it from Moorgate Acoustics who were selling them off for £299 - now a fiver less on the 'Bay, but when S/H versions were fetching much the same I thought that for a few dollars more a new, warrantied version would be the way to go.

Connected all up the other night - Apollo-DAC via SP/DIF using one of the cables that were made by a chap on here many moons ago (forget who it was, but a bloody well made 75ohm cable) and the SBT using the toslink out to the DAC. Powered up, and span some tunes... and... well, TBH it was a bit 'meh'. Very little difference from the analog OP of the Apollo, which has a very nicely balanced 'analogue-y' sound to it. My GF actually preferred the direct out of the Apollo when blind a/b ing it.

Ahh well, distance selling regs and all that... but I thought I'd better get some time on it first so left it playing overnight and the following day.

Blimey - what a difference a day makes, as the song goes. Talk about chalk and cheese - the slight (and I mean slight) opening up of the soundstage that was noticeable on first plugin has really opened up now, and separation, detail and timbre has enhanced massively - it's a real step up from the Apollo outs, and very worthwhile. It still retains the fluid, analogue quality that I like but just 'more of everything', and treble detail has definitely enhanced, without any shrill brightness.

Just goes to show, even though it shouldn't matter to those that measure, burn-in can work wonders. Very happy chap. Just need to get the groovy black stuff sorted now.

Gazjam
11-02-2015, 16:32
Its a great piece of kit.
Owned one previously and only upgraded when I had the chance at something better (at twice the price)

Enjoy! :)

Jason P
11-02-2015, 16:43
I will Gaz, thank you! To be honest I was a bit ambivalent about getting it but thought it might future-proof me for hi-res if and when I can be arsed, I'm actually very glad I took the plunge when I did. Very few silver ones out there now (and it's GOTTA match!)

DSJR
11-02-2015, 18:44
You should find the 'warm-up' will be very quick once everything has bedded in. The amps seem to take around an hour or so, maybe a bit less, and I have no doubt the DAC will do the same once settled in. Best used with a Klotz or Couple though I think.

Jason P
11-02-2015, 19:13
Do you mean a Couple from DAC - Brio Dave? I'm using the old Hitachi I/Cs at the moment. I've heard that there's a certain synergy in all Rega right down to the cables - I missed a S/H couple a few days ago but may well look out for some...