PDA

View Full Version : Bristol Hifi Show

Reffc
10-02-2015, 12:35
Starts next Friday (20th) and goes on through the weekend.

I'll be there along with Will from Radford Revival. Anyone else showing up?

Beobloke
10-02-2015, 12:58
I'll be there Friday and Saturday.

Marco
10-02-2015, 13:13
Nope, Paul, much as I'd love to meet you (and Will again) and listen to your gear, and will do it soon, I won't be going. My issues with the Bristol show are as follows:

1) It's a more than decent trek from where I live, although do-able if I considered it was worth the effort. However, I don't because:

2) There isn't enough 'proper' 2-channel hi-fi demonstrated, certainly of the niche/bespoke (mainly analogue and valve) variety that interests me.

3) It's a TOTAL MARE to park within easy reach of the venue - and when you can, expensive!

4) It's too near in date to the Scalford Hall Wam show, which interests me rather more. Ditto with Cranage Hall in June, which is almost on my doorstep.

Anyway, I hope that Will and you (and all other AoS traders) have a great show and make lots of interesting and productive new contacts! :cool:

Marco.

YNWaN
10-02-2015, 13:16
Too far for me I think - expensive with petrol, parking, entry etc.

Marco
10-02-2015, 13:22
Precisely, and so I'd rather allocate the dosh for Scalford. Hope everyone who goes to Bristol has a good show, though! :)

Marco.

Floyddroid
10-02-2015, 13:44
Ditto, a tad too far for me too. Apart from that i feel that better such events are more interesting and a little easier to get to. The Wam show would interest if it wasn't for the fact that i am banned from the site and as a consequence wouldn't be welcome there. TBVH I have my own excellent hifi show every year albeit none trade.
Nope, Paul, much as I'd love to meet you (and Will again) and listen to your gear, and will do it soon, I won't be going. My issues with the Bristol show are as follows:

1) It's a more than decent trek from where I live, although do-able if I considered it was worth the effort. However, I don't because:

2) There isn't enough 'proper' 2-channel hi-fi demonstrated, certainly of the niche/bespoke (mainly analogue and valve) variety that interests me.

3) It's a TOTAL MARE to park within easy reach of the venue - and when you can, expensive!

4) It's too near in date to the Scalford Hall Wam show, which interests me rather more. Ditto with Cranage Hall in June, which is almost on my doorstep.

Anyway, I hope that Will and you (and all other AoS traders) have a great show and make lots of interesting and productive new contacts! :cool:

Marco.

Reffc
10-02-2015, 14:33
It has one of the highest footfalls of all the UK shows and is a great place to see new gear (forget any meaningful listening sessions). There's a lot of 2 Ch shown Marco but granted, it's a long way for some people. I usually take the train down as it's an easy walk from the railway station so no parking headaches. For those driving some distance, you can always park at Bristol Parkway (park and ride) and get the train to Templemeads. Easier than crawling round the city looking for a multistorey.

Perhaps bump into you Friday Adam.

Marco
10-02-2015, 15:06
Ditto, a tad too far for me too. Apart from that i feel that better such events are more interesting and a little easier to get to. The Wam show would interest if it wasn't for the fact that i am banned from the site and as a consequence wouldn't be welcome there. TBVH I have my own excellent hifi show every year albeit none trade.

You been a bad boy then, Steve? :eyebrows:

If that's the only thing stopping you, mate, I wouldn't let it worry you, as I've been banned from the Wam for years (long before AoS was born) and it hasn't stopped me exhibiting there four times and attending as a visitor, since the show's inception, or chatting/having a beer with many of the Wammers, including James himself.

Such things matter not a jot, when it comes to Scalford - and apart from anything else, how exactly are they going to recognise you? You ain't that 'famous'! ;)

If you can make it, I'd thoroughly recommend that you go, as it's the most meaningful 'audio show' of any, for the genuine (non-trade) enthusiast.

Marco.

Marco
10-02-2015, 15:22
Hi Paul,

It has one of the highest footfalls of all the UK shows and is a great place to see new gear (forget any meaningful listening sessions). There's a lot of 2 Ch shown Marco but granted, it's a long way for some people. I usually take the train down as it's an easy walk from the railway station so no parking headaches. For those driving some distance, you can always park at Bristol Parkway (park and ride) and get the train to Templemeads. Easier than crawling round the city looking for a multistorey.

Good points about transport, especially the park and ride, and I'm sure that some folk will have noted that.

It's just a personal thing with me, but I dislike being at the beck and call of any form of public transport. I like to be able to arrive at and leave shows when I wish, and hate hanging around waiting for delayed trains, should that happen, so would always take the car. Also, I'm not sure how direct the train connections would be from Wrexham...

High footfall is not a selling point for me, as it simply means bigger crowds to manoeuvre around! ;)

New gear is largely not of much interest to me, unless it's of the non-mainstream bespoke/analogue variety, preferably relating to turntables, valve amps and massive speakers with huge drive units [lol]. Last time I was at Bristol, there wasn't a lot of that there, unless it's changed.

TBH, my main motivation for going to shows these days is to meet up with fellow AOS-ers and/or get the opportunity to buy some new vinyl, from Diverse or Stamford :)

Marco.

Beobloke
10-02-2015, 16:16

Sounds like a plan. If you have trouble finding me I can often be found in my favourite room at the show with an experession of rapt concentration and delight on my face.

It's called the "bar" and is on the Terrace level... :D :cool:

Reffc
10-02-2015, 16:31
Sounds like a plan. If you have trouble finding me I can often be found in my favourite room at the show with an experession of rapt concentration and delight on my face.

It's called the "bar" and is on the Terrace level... :D :cool:

What a coincidence...that's my favourite room too! See you there Adam.

CageyH
10-02-2015, 16:36

I thought you had to pay to park at Parkway? Better bet is to park near Abbey Wood station (Filton Ave area), and get the train in from there.

Reffc
10-02-2015, 16:50
I thought you had to pay to park at Parkway? Better bet is to park near Abbey Wood station (Folton Ave area), and get the train in from there.

Yes. You do, but it's a small price to pay for the stress relief of being whisked in by train whilst having secure parking. Yes, you can take the chance and leave your car in the Abbey wood area.

CageyH
10-02-2015, 16:52
It's not that rough round there. ;)

ReggieB
10-02-2015, 18:10
+1 for rail being an easy way to get to the Bristol Hi-Fi show. I tend to get the train from Cheltenham.

Floyddroid
10-02-2015, 19:04
Mmm, if i can find someone to go with i might just go this year. You talked me into it. I will use one of my disguises and call myself Loretta.
You been a bad boy then, Steve? :eyebrows:

If that's the only thing stopping you, mate, I wouldn't let it worry you, as I've been banned from the Wam for years (long before AoS was born) and it hasn't stopped me exhibiting there four times and attending as a visitor, since the show's inception, or chatting/having a beer with many of the Wammers, including James himself.

Such things matter not a jot, when it comes to Scalford - and apart from anything else, how exactly are they going to recognise you? You ain't that 'famous'! ;)

If you can make it, I'd thoroughly recommend that you go, as it's the most meaningful 'audio show' of any, for the genuine (non-trade) enthusiast.

Marco.

MCRU
10-02-2015, 19:32
Mmm, if i can find someone to go with i might just go this year. You talked me into it. I will use one of my disguises and call myself Loretta.

It's a brilliant show for bagging a deal that's for sure.

Plenty vinyl stores more added this year.

The best thing about the show though is you get a chance to meet me! :lol:

brian2957
10-02-2015, 19:53
Loretta Floyddroid :eek: , that shouldn't draw any attention to you Steve :lol:

Marco
10-02-2015, 23:18
+1 for rail being an easy way to get to the Bristol Hi-Fi show. I tend to get the train from Cheltenham.

"Easy" being relative, depending on where in the country you're travelling from! ;)

Marco.

Marco
10-02-2015, 23:25
You talked me into it. I will use one of my disguises and call myself Loretta.

Perfect... As it's a Sunday, I'll be in my usual 'weekend attire', and so will join you as Matilda. Don't dare clash with my outfit though, or I'll scratch your eyes out! :nono:

Marco.

Beobloke
11-02-2015, 11:19
"Easy" being relative, depending on where in the country you're travelling from! ;)

Marco.

Well, the A41 - M54 - M5 - M4 - M32 route isn't exactly complex. I reckon 3 hours, even in your tractor-fuelled chariot! :D :)

Marco
11-02-2015, 15:51
Lol... He was talking about trains, daftee! Besides, that'd be six hours (return) of my life I wouldn't get back ;)

Honestly, I can think of far better ways of wasting that time.

Marco.

Mr. C
11-02-2015, 17:22
Bristol is the most attended audio show in the UK period has been for many years.

As Dave (MCRU) mentioned lots of busy stores selling a variety of audio products and services plus a great place to meet up with your friends and have a couple of beers :cool:

It may not boast the creme of the hi end, however it will have more genuinely affordable and quality equipment which may float your boat.

Though I believe some of the more enjoyable sounds will be generated in rooms 217 and 218 :eyebrows:

Marco
11-02-2015, 17:27
Is that where you'll be, then? :)

What annoys me is the geographical location of most of these hi-fi shows, as they're heavily biased in favour of those who live in (or towards) the south of the UK. Why, one wonders, has no-one ever thought of holding a major hi-fi show in the UK's second largest city: Birmingham? :hmm:

Would that upset all the Southern softies who insist on everything being held on their doorstep (and who have gotten so used to having that privilege)??

Marco.

Old boy
11-02-2015, 18:47
Hi Tony
What delights await in rooms 217 & 218 this time around ?

MCRU
11-02-2015, 18:55
Lol... He was talking about trains, daftee! Besides, that'd be six hours (return) of my life I wouldn't get back ;)

Honestly, I can think of far better ways of wasting that time.

Marco.

Oh you are so funny dude but I do like you!

Hammering away on your keyboard 24/7, I can think of plenty of better things to do with my time!

Please respect that fact that these shows which you always poo poo are vital for the survival of the entire hifi industry. :)

Marco
11-02-2015, 18:58
Lol - that as may be (although not really), but what's that got to do with my point about Birmingham? Perhaps someone could tell me what would be wrong with holding one of the major hi-fi shows there, as opposed to, say, in Bristol?

What exactly has Bristol got that Birmingham hasn't??

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Marco.

ReggieB
11-02-2015, 22:16

I expect, someone willing to organise it.

There are plenty of suitable venues, and its a good central location that is well served by motorways and rail.

However, the only way something will happen in Birmingham is if some people get together and organise it.

Marco
11-02-2015, 22:21
Indeed, on all counts, Rob... Birmingham ticks many of the right boxes, but I guess it's further away again for the 'southies' to have to travel :rolleyes:

It's about time someone broke into the rather cosy and ingrained 'southern hi-fi show clique', and acknowledged that plenty of audio enthusiasts inhabit other parts of the country, too!!

:exactly:

Marco.

Beobloke
12-02-2015, 10:49

The Clifton Suspension Bridge, the SS Great Britain and a nice shot tower that you can see from the Marriott.

And the Great Western Brewing company... :cool:

jandl100
12-02-2015, 11:07
Hmm - not sure whether to go to Brizzle or not.
Parking is OK if you get there early, ime.
Nice to see some kit, and bump into folks I know - but dems and sounds are usually kerapp. And way too much LOUD AV stuff.

I seem to have talked myself out of it! :lol:

Clive197
12-02-2015, 14:08

Marco.

The Clifton Suspension Bridge. :lol:

Clive

MCRU
12-02-2015, 14:41
Indeed, on all counts, Rob... Birmingham ticks many of the right boxes, but I guess it's further away again for the 'southies' to have to travel :rolleyes:

It's about time someone broke into the rather cosy and ingrained 'southern hi-fi show clique', and acknowledged that plenty of audio enthusiasts inhabit other parts of the country, too!!

Marco.

What about a HiFi Show in Wrexham? :)

Only problem is last time I went to Wrexham it was closed! :ner:

Mr. C
12-02-2015, 18:20
Hi Tony
What delights await in rooms 217 & 218 this time around ?

Hello Kev

You don't have to travel too far these days, you have a TAD dealer on your doorstep (virtually) just outside Ton bridge Wells.

The CE-1's are very busy currently on UK dealer tour, first UK public showing will be at Cranage in June, your images have been circulated to the guys running the room and a strict admission fee policy has been put in force for you guys ;)

Old boy
12-02-2015, 20:03
Hello Kev

You don't have to travel too far these days, you have a TAD dealer on your doorstep (virtually) just outside Ton bridge Wells.

The CE-1's are very busy currently on UK dealer tour, first UK public showing will be at Cranage in June, your images have been circulated to the guys running the room and a strict admission fee policy has been put in force for you guys ;)

The long journey is well worth a good session listening to the TAD equipment playing proper quality music.

I'm looking forward to finally hearing the new CE-1's - I had a brief chat about the CE-1 with Keith Howard at his place few weeks back shortly after he Completed his technical measurements on your pair ... Seemed suitably impressed with them.

Do you know if Peter is having a Ce-1 demo day at some point ?

Look forward to catching up next week.

ReggieB
12-02-2015, 20:07

There's this:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36623-Scalford-Hall-2015-show-Who-is-attending

http://www.thehifishow.com/

It's further north than Brum.

BTH K10A
12-02-2015, 22:39

Marco.

What 'southern hi-fi show clique' :scratch:

There's a pretty average show at Heathrow and then there's the Audiojumble in Tonbridge and thats about it.:ner:

Bristol is in the West and the Midlands are well served by Scalford & Whittlebury. :exactly:

All in all I think it's a fair geographical spread but the Northerners could always resurect the Harrogate show if they feel left out :violin:

Marco
13-02-2015, 18:00
Bristol is in the West...

Yes, the SOUTH west! :ner:

...and the Midlands are well served by Scalford & Whittlebury....

Whittlebury in the midlands? Not on my map it ain't. It's in Silverstone, daftee, hardly what I'd call 'the midlands'. I think that because you're so far down south, tucked away in the Kent outback, for you, 'the midlands' is anything north of London! Lol... The midlands, for most folk and me, is Birmingham, or somewhere like Wolverhampton/Stafford! :exactly:

The more serious point I'm making is that the organisers of these shows should demonstrate some consideration for the fact that not everyone who may wish to attend lives 'in the south', and make allowances for that. In all honesty, if I were a show organiser, I'd take that into proper consideration before fixing a venue.

Like I said, the most centrally located and easiest place to get to, for the majority of people in England and Wales, not just those 'in the south', is Birmingham. Therefore, IMO, that's where the 'Bristol show' should be, although obviously you couldn't call it that :D

Marco.

Marco
13-02-2015, 18:10
There's this:

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36623-Scalford-Hall-2015-show-Who-is-attending

http://www.thehifishow.com/

It's further north than Brum.

Thanks for that, Rob. Having exhibited there (for AoS) and attended as a punter, on many occasions, I'm well aware of Scalford. The venue is about 80 miles or so from me, and takes about an hour and 40 mins to get there, which is an acceptable amount of time to travel to a show. Birmingham is about the same distance away.

Three hours (and thus a six-hour round trip there and back), as it would take for me to get to the likes of Whittlebury, IMHO, isn't.... :nono:

Hey, at least there's the Cranage Hall show in Cheshire! All I'm asking for is some parity, and thus for there to be as many shows in the north of the country, as there are in the south, therefore removing the southern bias that currently exists. That's only fair, surely? :)

And what about the poor folks in Scotland wanting to attend a hi-fi show?? :doh:

Marco.

CageyH
13-02-2015, 18:20

http://www.pieminister.co.uk/

If anybody wants a decent Pie, these guys come thoroughly recommended. A short walk away in Stokes Croft.

No to mention the SS Great Britain, The Mathew, Pubs selling decent cider, the M4 etc.

Marco
13-02-2015, 18:39
Lol - thanks for that! Unfortunately, I'm not a (cold, jellified) pie or 'convenience food' kind of guy, preferring the kind of pie with steak and kidney inside (and an all-butter shortcrust pastry on top), served piping hot with gravy, some lovely creamy home-made mashed potatoes and fresh peas!

Marco.

CageyH
13-02-2015, 18:45
These pies are to be eaten hot.
Trust me, you have to try one. They are one of the best pies you will ever eat.

Marco
13-02-2015, 18:48
I'll take your word for it, and if I ever have the occasion to try one, I'll duly do so.

I'm just uber-fussy when it comes to eating commercially produced pies (and other processed foodstuffs that could be termed as 'junk'), as you never know what kind of shit goes into them, such as rather dubious animal parts... I simply don't 'do' offal.

Anyone for a Ginsters? :spew: :spew:

Marco.

CageyH
13-02-2015, 21:38
These are award winning products. Not to be confused with the like of Ginsters.
They are not particularly cheap, but they use good quality ingredients. Try the Kate and Sidney pie. You won't be dissapointed.

They do mail order. ;)

I brought a total of 21 pies back last night for the "office" order. :D

Marco
13-02-2015, 21:47
These are award winning products. Not to be confused with the like of Ginsters.
They are not particularly cheap, but they use good quality ingredients.

Sounds like the right boxes are being ticked then, so duly noted! :)

Marco.

BTH K10A
13-02-2015, 22:48
Lol - thanks for that! Unfortunately, I'm not a (cold, jellified) pie or 'convenience food' kind of guy, preferring the kind of pie with steak and kidney inside (and an all-butter shortcrust pastry on top), served piping hot with gravy and some lovely creamy home-made mashed potatoes and fresh peas!

Marco.

Sound like the kind of pies found in the South East Pie & Mash shops. ;)

Marco
13-02-2015, 22:55
Hehehehe.... Sounds like the kind of pies my wife makes, and are found on the dinner table at Marco towers! :D

Marco.

montesquieu
14-02-2015, 19:13
Hmmm a rare weekend when I don't have to do anything else. I might just pop over for a bit of fun. I don't generally like hifi shows (very hard to make any judgments about anything and the music is usually :uhho:. But could be nice to meet up with a few people.

Spectral Morn
14-02-2015, 19:57
Thanks for that, Rob. Having exhibited there (for AoS) and attended as a punter, on many occasions, I'm well aware of Scalford. The venue is about 80 miles or so from me, and takes about an hour and 40 mins to get there, which is an acceptable amount of time to travel to a show. Birmingham is about the same distance away.

Three hours (and thus a six-hour round trip there and back), as it would take for me to get to the likes of Whittlebury, IMHO, isn't.... :nono:

Hey, at least there's the Cranage Hall show in Cheshire! All I'm asking for is some parity, and thus for there to be as many shows in the north of the country, as there are in the south, therefore removing the southern bias that currently exists. That's only fair, surely? :)

And what about the poor folks in Scotland wanting to attend a hi-fi show?? :doh:

Marco.

or Northern Ireland - worse for us

Regards Neil

Spectral Morn
14-02-2015, 19:59
There's a pretty average show at Heathrow

You are a bit out of date, not anymore

Regards Neil

Marco
14-02-2015, 20:36
or Northern Ireland - worse for us

Indeed... Not everything should revolve around the needs of the south of England :nono:

It's almost as if nowhere else of any significance exists in the UK.........

Marco.

Marco
14-02-2015, 20:40
You are a bit out of date, not anymore

Yup, Whittlebury replaced that one. Remember the hoo-hah that created when Londoners all of a sudden had to get off of their backsides and travel a few miles?? :doh: :rolleyes:

Marco.

struth
14-02-2015, 20:57
About time they did one up here .....no one would go right enough but it would be cool;)

BTH K10A
14-02-2015, 21:09
Yup, Whittlebury replaced that one. Remember the hoo-hah that created when Londoners all of a sudden had to get off of their backsides and travel a few miles?? :doh: :rolleyes:

Marco.
Pot, Kettle, Black :whistle:

Marco
14-02-2015, 21:14
How so, Andy? How many hi-fi shows in Scotland, Wales, Ireland and in the north/central belt of England are there, compared with how many there are in the south of England (and its environs)?

It's very obvious where the bias exists, and ultimately who has the most travelling to do, in order to go to a decent hi-fi show!

We (in the north) have been forced to travel hundreds of miles for years, as I remember all too well when I lived in Glasgow. You lot are too used to having everything on your doorstep, and something should be done about it ;)

Marco.

montesquieu
14-02-2015, 21:23
How so, Andy? How many hi-fi shows in Scotland, Wales, Ireland and in the north/central belt of England are there, compared with how many there are in the south of England (and its environs)?

It's very obvious where the bias exists, and ultimately who has the most travelling to do, in order to go to a decent hi-fi show!

We (in the north) have been forced to travel hundreds of miles for years, as I remember all too well when I lived in Glasgow. You lot are too used to having everything on your doorstep, and something should be done about it ;)

Marco.

It's not really bias as such ... more about population distribution and the overall demographics of the uk - I imagine some fairly tough calculations are done around location and likely attendance levels. You can be sure that if there was a gap in the market someone would jump in there to exploit it.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01494/uk_1494142i.gif

http://geographyfieldwork.com/PopDistUK.gif

BTH K10A
14-02-2015, 21:35
Marco

As far as hifi is concerned it's now a minority interest and where shows take place has nothing to do with North, South, East or West divides. The location is usually determined by either where the person who is brave enough to organise one of these shows live s as is the case of the Audiojumble or where there is a suitable venue such as scalford.

In reality there are very few shows / events in the south and the only ones that hold any interest for me in the UK are the two audiojumbles in Tonbridge every year. Yes, they are close to me, but I'd still attend if they were in the North just as I've gone to the Munich hifi show in the past because there's nothing comparable in the UK.

BTH K10A
14-02-2015, 21:42
It's not really bias as such ... more about population distribution and the overall demographics of the uk - I imagine some fairly tough calculations are done around location and likely attendance levels. You can be sure that if there was a gap in the market someone would jump in there to exploit it.

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/01494/uk_1494142i.gif

http://geographyfieldwork.com/PopDistUK.gif

Yes, density coupled with disposable income demographics will influence the location for the national shows however I'll stick to my original ascertion vis the smaller shows

Marco
14-02-2015, 21:43
I understand and accept that, Tom, but I think there's more to it than that, and just don't believe much consideration has been given by show organisers for the interests of hi-fi enthusiasts, certainly north of the border, and in the north/central belt of England. Let's not even go there with Ireland...

Yes, population wise, there's always going to be more interest in the south of England for these things, but I also believe that interest elsewhere in the UK for such shows is being significantly underestimated.

For example, let's take the Tonbridge audio jumble... I don't buy the notion that only folk in and around that area are interested in vintage audio equipment, as certainly evidenced by member activity on this forum in the Past Masters section, so why aren't there shows like that dotted all around the UK??

Also, if we're talking about population/demographics, then as I said before, I simply don't get why Bristol has been chosen to hold a major hi-fi show ahead of somewhere like Birmingham? I would honestly like a sensible answer to that.

Who organises the Bristol show? My guess it's probably folk who live in the south of England, and therefore organising other events too far from their 'home patch' would make life more difficult for them.

That's essentially the problem: all the current show organisers are most likely English people (from the south). What we need are Scottish, Irish, Welsh people, or some 'northerners' in general, to organise hi-fi shows, if the needs of enthusiasts in those areas are ever to be properly catered for!

Marco.

Marco
14-02-2015, 21:53
See my last post, Andy.

Yes, they are close to me, but I'd still attend if they were in the North just as I've gone to the Munich hifi show in the past because there's nothing comparable in the UK.

The Munich show is different, because that's held in a foreign country, therefore those attending have to view the exercise more in terms of taking a properly holiday, rather than simply going for a day out, as it would with hi-fi shows held in the UK, although when you've got a 6-7 hour round trip involved, it's not exactly much of a day out, as most of your time is spent sitting in the car! ;)

Quite simply, it shouldn't be like that.

Marco.

P.S Let's be honest, if the Tonbridge audio jumble was held in Manchester instead, how likely would you be to go?

User211
14-02-2015, 21:53
Yeah who does organise it? It's not the Chester group. It been running for 28 years and I have probably been to 24-25 if them at a guess.

Ah - Audio-T and What Hi-Fi.

Marco
14-02-2015, 21:59
And where are they based, I wonder...? :rolleyes:

Marco.

montesquieu
14-02-2015, 22:06
Interesting perspective Marco, as a Scot who lived in the Bristol area for 12-13 years (before the wife's job hauled me reluctantly into the Thames Valley area) I don't see Bristol as being at all part of the South of England. It's West Country and it takes me nearly as long to get there as it takes to Birmingham (much longer if you are actually in London proper). I also used to do Bristol to Brum in 90 minutes which makes them reasonably close too. South East and South West are very different beasts.

Marco
14-02-2015, 22:11
Yup, Tom, but for anyone who lives where I do, or even further north, 'down south' in general is regarded as anywhere that's south of Birmingham (east or west doesn't matter, it's all considered as 'down south') - and like you say, Bristol is still a bloody long way from where lots of people live, not to mention less well connected, in terms of road and rail travel networks, than Birmingham.

So why was Bristol chosen as a venue for a major hi-fi show, ahead of somewhere like Birmingham? I know it's largely a rhetorical question, but I'd honestly love to know the judgement criteria used by whoever was the decision maker for that one....

Marco.

User211
14-02-2015, 22:20
And where are they based, I wonder...? :rolleyes:

Marco.

Well there is an Audio-T in Bristol - it used to be Audio Excellence. It's actually tiny TBH and has never been a large store. It is in Park Street near the Uni.

The Marriot used to be the Holiday Inn. I guess Audio Excellence just started it one year and things just moved on. They probably didn't think about the rest of the country - just "there's a hotel locally who'll let us organise a show". Who knows. 28 years ago the original founders are probably no longer involved.

Marco
14-02-2015, 22:23
Well there is an Audio-T in Bristol - it used to be Audio Excellence. It's actually tiny TBH and has never been a large store. It is in Park Street near the Uni.

Well, aren't WTF based in London? If not, it's in the south of England somewhere, as of course are Audio T.

They probably didn't think about the rest of the country...

You got it in one, muchacho [and there, in a nutshell, is your problem]! :clap:

Marco.

BTH K10A
14-02-2015, 22:24
For example, let's take the Tonbridge audio jumble... I don't buy the notion that only folk in and around that area are interested in vintage audio equipment, as certainly evidenced by member activity on this forum in the Past Masters section, so why aren't there shows like that dotted all around the UK??
Marco.

That's very true Marco, but it seems that there are few people willing to organise such events. John Howes always puts on a good show but the only others I know of have also been around London. I went to a good event in Rickmansworth one year (now defunct) that I think was organised by Graham Tricker and I have heard of a similar event in Leatherhead, although I've never attended.

There is of course the National Vintage Communications Fair held in Birmingham every year. I've attended in the past and whilst it a Radio Fair there is a a fair bit of vintage hifi as well. :)

Marco
14-02-2015, 22:32
I wasn't aware of the Vintage Communications fair, Andy. Does that still take place, and if so, do you know when? :)

But yes, Rickmansworth, Tonbridge, Leatherhead... Where do Graham Tricker and John Howes live, I wonder? You can see the common denominator, and what I'm getting at, can't you? Perhaps this matter is something that others and you here hadn't considered before...

It's always bugged the hell out of me, though.

Marco.

User211
14-02-2015, 22:35
Well, aren't WTF based in London? If not, it's in the south of England somewhere, as of course are Audio T.

You got it in one, muchacho [and there, in a nutshell, is your problem]! :clap:

Marco.

Well that's just guessing... audio-t is actually a large chain of stores. As I say, who knows.

It isn't a great show in terms of SQ - you rarely hear much that really impresses. But sometimes you do. I usually cover it on the web somewhere.

Last years Naim Statement\Focal demo was good. Alternative Audio, when Peter shows up, does it for me usually. Analysis Omegas and some sexy NAT Audio gear usually impresses me. But then I love planar magnetic speakers of reasonable size. Best all round speaker tech out there IMHO. When it is done well. But that IS rare:D

Marco
14-02-2015, 22:54
It isn't a great show in terms of SQ - you rarely hear much that really impresses. But sometimes you do. I usually cover it on the web somewhere.

Precisely (based on past experience), which is why I no longer go.

Marco.

User211
14-02-2015, 23:00

Marco.

If I lived where you do I wouldn't, if that helps:) If you haven't done Munich though you must. Worth it for the Silbatone room alone.

Marco
14-02-2015, 23:18
Munich I defo intend to go to, probably next year.

Del has relatives (cousins) in Cologne, so the plan is to stay with them for a while, then fly down to Munich, and stay there for a few days, taking the show in with that, then return to Cologne, and drive back home to the UK sometime later :)

Marco.

Dingdong
14-02-2015, 23:28
If I lived where you do I wouldn't, if that helps:) If you haven't done Munich though you must. Worth it for the Silbatone room alone.

I think last year was the last time he was taking the large system. Shame, it is a cool room.

montesquieu
15-02-2015, 00:39

Marco.

dare I say it Marco ...it's likely few people up in the frozen wastes North of Stoke on Trent are in quite such a good position to get something off the ground as your good self ....

Audio Al
15-02-2015, 08:29
I will not be attending , sorry to spoil the show for you all :D

prestonchipfryer
15-02-2015, 08:49
I am attending and am looking forward to maybe meeting some AoSers.

Jimbo
15-02-2015, 09:32
Yup, Tom, but for anyone who lives where I do, or even further north, 'down south' in general is regarded as anywhere that's south of Birmingham (east or west doesn't matter, it's all considered as 'down south') - and like you say, Bristol is still a bloody long way from where lots of people live, not to mention less well connected, in terms of road and rail travel networks, than Birmingham.

So why was Bristol chosen as a venue for a major hi-fi show, ahead of somewhere like Birmingham? I know it's largely a rhetorical question, but I'd honestly love to know the judgement criteria used by whoever was the decision maker for that one....

Marco.

Birmingham has also been rated by the 'rough guide' as one of the top ten cities in the world. I have lived in both Bristol, and Birmingham and I would say Brum has a lot more to offer all round, not least its geographical situation. :)

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/birmingham-named-one-of-the-top-10-cities-in-the-world-9933668.html

Marco
15-02-2015, 09:49
Indeed, Jim. I like Birmingham; I also like Bristol.

However, how 'lovely' both cities are (and what they have to offer as tourist attractions, or whatever) isn't the issue - it's why the latter was deemed as being 'ideal' to hold a major hi-fi show, ahead of many other arguably more suitable locations.

I guess we'll never know!

Marco.

Marco
15-02-2015, 09:55
dare I say it Marco ...it's likely few people up in the frozen wastes North of Stoke on Trent are in quite such a good position to get something off the ground as your good self ....

Interesting point, Tom. There are plans to hold an AoS show, once I have sufficient time to dedicate to such a project, in order to make it work, the way I'd want it to work. However, I can assure you that when it happens, my consideration as to where to hold the show won't just be what's most convenient for me, or others who live in my area, but what's best for the majority of our audio community as a whole! ;)

Marco.

BTH K10A
15-02-2015, 09:58
I wasn't aware of the Vintage Communications fair, Andy. Does that still take place, and if so, do you know when? :)

But yes, Rickmansworth, Tonbridge, Leatherhead... Where do Graham Tricker and John Howes live, I wonder? You can see the common denominator, and what I'm getting at, can't you? Perhaps this matter is something that others and you here hadn't considered before...

It's always bugged the hell out of me, though.

Marco.

http://www.nvcf.org.uk

Yes but the common denominator could be that it's only southerners who can be bothered to get up off their ass and arrange an audiojumble :D

Maybe AOS could run one in Birmingham.

Marco
15-02-2015, 10:11
http://www.nvcf.org.uk

Thanks for that - most interesting. I'll defo check it out sometime.

Yes but the common denominator could be that it's only southerners who can be bothered to get up off their ass and arrange an audiojumble :D

Ha - there could be something in that! Maybe there's stuff going on elsewhere in the UK, on a lower-key level, we just don't know about... :hmm:

I think your point is valid, in reference to small events, such as Tonbridge, but when it comes to larger organisations, such as WTF, The Chester Group, etc, holding UK hi-fi shows, their 'shunning of the north' is rather less forgivable!

Maybe AOS could run one in Birmingham.

That's certainly one place we'd look at - another would be Derby :)

Marco.

Jimbo
15-02-2015, 10:16
Indeed, Jim. I like Birmingham; I also like Bristol.

However, how 'lovely' both cities are (and what they have to offer as tourist attractions, or whatever) isn't the issue - it's why the latter was deemed as being 'ideal' to hold a major hi-fi show, ahead of many other arguably more suitable locations.

I guess we'll never know!

Marco.
Interesting that many of the other big shows for other 'Interests' such as BBC Good Food, Motorbike show, Caravan and camping etc are all held at the NEC so seems strange that what is considered a good central location for these is not considered good for a National Hifi show:scratch:

Marco
15-02-2015, 10:23
Good point!

I guess the answer might be that those types of events have a much larger target audience, ideal for housing in a huge venue, such as the NEC, which I can accept. However, what I can't accept is that all the UK's 'hi-fi geeks' live in the south, and so only they should be catered for! ;)

Marco.

Jimbo
15-02-2015, 10:29
Good point!

I guess the answer might be that those types of events have a much larger target audience, ideal for housing in a huge venue, such as the NEC, which I can accept. However, what I can't accept is that all the UK's 'hi-fi geeks' live in the south, and so only they should be catered for! ;)

Marco.

Hi Marco, hope you ok

I thought all the 'hi-fi geeks' lived up north, at least from my experience:lol:

Marco
15-02-2015, 10:32
Hehehehe....which is why you had to travel to Hartlepool to meet some! :D

Marco.

User211
15-02-2015, 10:34
Good point!

Marco.

Face it.

Northerners are just too drunk/lazy to have done anything about it:D

Jimbo
15-02-2015, 10:40
Hehehehe....which is why you had to travel to Hartlepool to meet some! :D

Marco.

It was worth the drive and will come up again next year as it was such an excellent day. I must say I have been to a lot of the big HI-Fi shows over the years and but they dont have the friendly enthusiastic atmosphere of the NEBO:)

Marco
15-02-2015, 10:41
Face it.

Northerners are just too drunk/lazy to have done anything about it:D

:lolsign:

Marco.

BTH K10A
15-02-2015, 10:45
Interesting that many of the other big shows for other 'Interests' such as BBC Good Food, Motorbike show, Caravan and camping etc are all held at the NEC so seems strange that what is considered a good central location for these is not considered good for a National Hifi show:scratch:

The NEC is good for the type of shows you mention and audiojumbles.

But the needs of a hifi show are different which is why they are usually held in hotels. A lot of hotels do not want the disruption caused by a hifi showso the choice of available venues with sufficient suitable rooms may be quite limited.

awkwardbydesign
15-02-2015, 10:45

How would you separate the sound in a hall?

Clive197
15-02-2015, 10:57

Many of you maybe too young to remember the days of the HIFI shows held at London's Olympia hall. I remember queuing for hours to get in and finding the place mobbed, far more than today's efforts. One delight I recall is the introduction of the B&O parallel tracking Beogram 4000.

Clive

Jimbo
15-02-2015, 11:23

Hi Richard,

there are hotels at the NEC but I was just making the point of Birmingham and the NEC being a central location thus many of the big shows are already established there. Its only 10 mins up the line from the NEC to get into Birmingham where there are many hotels which could acomodate a hifi show.

I agree, would be very tricky trying to convert one of the NEC halls to use for a HI-Fi show:) but as I said there is a large Crown Plaza hotel at the NEC.

lurcher
15-02-2015, 11:24

Just a hint what it would be like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_F4hNDDMyA

User211
15-02-2015, 11:56
What much better you mean Nick? Look at all that lurvely h/w:) With all that nicety who cares about acoustics:D

BTH K10A
15-02-2015, 21:32
What's all this about then http://audioshow.co.uk It's in the back of beyond :p

Marco
15-02-2015, 21:43

Lol - pay attention, daftee... I mentioned Cranage Hall about 3 pages back! As the old saying goes, one swallow doesn't make a summer ;)

Marco.

walpurgis
15-02-2015, 21:44

Blimey, you'd need survival supplies and a train of mules to carry it all for the trek to find that. Is it actually mapped? :D

MCRU
15-02-2015, 22:40
Blimey, you'd need survival supplies and a train of mules to carry it all for the trek to find that. Is it actually mapped? :D

It's "up north" as you southern poofters would say :lol:

montesquieu
16-02-2015, 00:26
Hi Richard,

there are hotels at the NEC but I was just making the point of Birmingham and the NEC being a central location thus many of the big shows are already established there. Its only 10 mins up the line from the NEC to get into Birmingham where there are many hotels which could acomodate a hifi show.

I agree, would be very tricky trying to convert one of the NEC halls to use for a HI-Fi show:) but as I said there is a large Crown Plaza hotel at the NEC.

They have hotels in Birmingham? Whatever next.

http://www.puretravel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/10-Worst-Hotels-in-Asia-Revealed-for-2013.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/16/article-2189288-1492F721000005DC-657_634x422.jpg

struth
16-02-2015, 00:52
They have hotels in Birmingham? Whatever next.

http://www.puretravel.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/10-Worst-Hotels-in-Asia-Revealed-for-2013.jpg

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/08/16/article-2189288-1492F721000005DC-657_634x422.jpg

LOOKS LIKE MY BED.....YOU GOT A SPY CAMERA?:eyebrows:

Tarzan
16-02-2015, 06:56
It's "up north" as you southern poofters would say :lol:

That is racist that is.:ner:

Reffc
20-02-2015, 17:52
Nice to meet a few familiar faces at Bristol today.

New Spendor Classic range were the stars of the show for me. The most natural voiced of all the speakers at the show and beautifully finished. A computer doesn't get near the design save for initial driver measurement following which most of the crossover work is done by the designer, Terry Miles, who has the experience and know how to do it by ear...although he admits that his experience knowing exactly how each component will shape the driver response is what counts. A fascinating chap to speak to.

New Harbeths made a showing and Alan Shaw was very willing to discuss their design and the risk taken in altering their most successful model for wider appeal...one that seems to have worked out well for Harbeth so good luck to them, plus some words of encouragement regarding the RFC Raptors which was unexpected and welcome.

Some new kids on the block in the shape of some neat little KT120 PP valve amps (the maker's name escapes me), some interesting speaker designs from Heed Audo.

Didn't take many photos but may post what I did take later on. A very enjoyable day, mostly down to the people I met and spoke with rather than the kit although those lovely Spendors were memorable.

jandl100
20-02-2015, 18:50
I went for a 3 hour planned visit and stayed for just 90 minutes.

Nice to meet up with a few folks, including my old boss at Hifi Pig, Stu Smith!

Overall very little of interest in terms of kit, though, I thought.

I agree with Paul that the Spendor Classic speakers were sounding good, very nicely voiced, although whether they present the usual Spendor dynamic drabness is a longer term thing.

For me, the star of the show were the Eclipse 'bullet shaped' speakers, with a bloody great sub between them. Exceptional transparency and stereo focus, good 3d depth, too. I really enjoyed Blues for Klook on them!

But overall the Show disappointing for me. It's been a few years since I went to the Brizzle show, I doubt I'll want to go again.

Roll on Scalford next month and the National Audio Show in the autumn! They are much more my cuppa char.

Lee Henley
20-02-2015, 19:44
I went for a 3 hour planned visit and stayed for just 90 minutes.

Nice to meet up with a few folks, including my old boss at Hifi Pig, Stu Smith!

Overall very little of interest in terms of kit, though, I thought.

I agree with Paul that the Spendor Classic speakers were sounding good, very nicely voiced, although whether they present the usual Spendor dynamic drabness is a longer term thing.

For me, the star of the show were the Eclipse 'bullet shaped' speakers, with a bloody great sub between them. Exceptional transparency and stereo focus, good 3d depth, too. I really enjoyed Blues for Klook on them!

But overall the Show disappointing for me. It's been a few years since I went to the Brizzle show, I doubt I'll want to go again.

Roll on Scalford next month and the National Audio Show in the autumn! They are much more my cuppa char.

Did you manage to get to the Audionote room Jerry ?

Reffc
20-02-2015, 20:09
Did you manage to get to the Audionote room Jerry ?

Don't know about Jerry but I did. Big disappointment. Very average sounding and compared with the Spendors, coloured and no-where near as naturally voiced. Violin was rather harsh as well, but who knows, that may have been the recording.

jandl100
20-02-2015, 21:08
Yep.
I agree with Paul - fairly appalling really - horribly coloured and muddled.
I usually enjoy the AN room at shows -- maybe I'm growing up. :D

I'm usually pretty upbeat about shows, cutting a fair bit of slack for show conditions etc - but it really wasn't cutting the mustard this year, for the most part, imho.

ReggieB
20-02-2015, 21:45
New Spendor Classic range were the stars of the show for me.

Thoroughly agree with that. It was worth visiting the Harbeth rooms too. I just love the BBC derived designs.

ReggieB
20-02-2015, 21:48

I first heard the Eclipse speakers last year at Bristol. It was good to get another chance to hear them. They are wonderfully transparent as you say.

ReggieB
21-02-2015, 10:48
Oh! Are the basement rooms the most queued for underwhelming experiences of the show?

awkwardbydesign
21-02-2015, 10:56
Most of it was underwhelming. I enjoyed the Technics room the most, mainly because I was initially the only one in there, I put my own music on and they gave me the remote! The system wasn't "exciting", but it's faults were mainly of omission. And the meters were cute (I like silly meters!). I could see someone being quite content with it all.
Not me of course, not enough valves. :D
The biggest disappointment for me was the Wilson Benesch sound. The technology is fascinating, but there was one note bass; I had them play my own CD to check.

YNWaN
21-02-2015, 11:42
Whatever happened to the idea of the AoS show?

Marco
21-02-2015, 11:47
It’s been left at the idea stage, for the moment. However, once I have certain more important things out of the way going on in my life, it will happen :)

From the report, (Spendors aside) it doesn’t seem as if I missed much at Bristol, which is why I haven’t gone there for years. Quite simply, there are more interesting shows to attend days for the genuine enthusiast, who’s interests lie somewhat outside of the mainstream arena.

Marco.

montesquieu
21-02-2015, 11:55
I am thinking of heading over for the last half day tomorrow, I have to be in Bristol anyway. Is it worthwhile going say from 1-5 on the Sunday?

YNWaN
21-02-2015, 12:26
I would have gone to Bristol but it's just too far for a one day jolly. I will be going to Scalford Hall and to the Cranage show though.

Reffc
21-02-2015, 12:32
I am thinking of heading over for the last half day tomorrow, I have to be in Bristol anyway. Is it worthwhile going say from 1-5 on the Sunday?

It is probably worth it Tom even if only to get a listen to the Spendors and to browse through the vinyl on sale. They're worth the visit. There's one or two other interesting and decent sounding systems but the basement this year isn't worth the visit imho, Tannoy have no "decent" speakers on show and the rest is quite average. However, the bristol show is and always was more about pressing the flesh and it's one of the most accessible shows to attend for meeting and speaking with some pretty incredible designers. Nick (lurcher) is there too if you wanted to pop in and say "Hi".

Marco
21-02-2015, 12:37
I would have gone to Bristol but it's just too far for a one day jolly. I will be going to Scalford Hall and to the Cranage show though.

Ditto :)

Marco.

montesquieu
21-02-2015, 12:47
Busy the Scalford weekend but having been quite a few years I won't really miss it.

prestonchipfryer
21-02-2015, 12:55
Was going yesterday but my wife is ill and had to look after her. Had the train tickets too.

Marco
21-02-2015, 13:00
Hope your good lady gets better soon, John! :)

Marco.

prestonchipfryer
21-02-2015, 13:02
Thank you Marco. :)

jandl100
21-02-2015, 18:43
Oooo - one highlight I forgot to mention was in the Icon room, a totally OTT but scrumptious tonearm from ProJect.

Lessee if I can find a photo - ah yes, here it is, on the same deck as well ...

http://media.tas.zeitpress.com/articles/images/Pro-Ject_Signature_10.jpg

puddlesplasher
21-02-2015, 22:50
I thought the music/sound in most rooms dire to say the least. Quite liked the Heed Envoy speakers until I was told they cost £10000.

User211
22-02-2015, 13:17
REL - finally they have given up firing bass into the floor. So , now they don't, if you were in this room at the right time, you might well have been impressed. I was. It definitely needed to be loud to show off the capability.

So, trashing many other of the "pussy systems" with no driver surface area, this showed what is possible when high surface area and obviously very strong force per unit area are permitted. Probably quite high excursion drivers too.

If you are an electronic music fan, something like this ProAc setup could well pulverise your ear drums and give you a weeks worth of tinnitus with no effort at all. Just what you need on a Friday night after a hard week and too many beers.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-9J-DLYgzaHo/VOnPAaj1HbI/AAAAAAAACVU/7iDi5AujNys/w898-h506-no/dsc01617-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 13:35
MF M6 CDP, 800 amp and PMC somethings.

Again later on Saturday, playing loud, none too bad at all. Obviously a powerful, capable amp but then it should be at £8K. I'd like to borrow it for a spin on the Apogees TBH. I reckon for its design type it is pretty damned capable. It looks cool - as though it means business and it does, I think. Stacks of power in reserve and headroom like that can easily be heard i.e. effortless at volume.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-sRi5SwgzRQ4/VOnPDKzHPQI/AAAAAAAACVs/NWEHt6ZIF5E/w898-h506-no/dsc01620-qpr.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-wTVk3M_DuwI/VOnPFRrkKQI/AAAAAAAACV0/gKmZdRt9PeA/w898-h506-no/dsc01622-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 13:57
Tannoy sounding much less bass boomy than last year, which was dreadful. This sounded good playing reggae when I was in there. That's half the rub - "when I was in there" is a necessary qualification for all rooms, really. So much depends on what is being played at what volume. It is pot luck you manage to hear something that shows off a system at its best.

Partnered with some of that nice Accuphase kit. Always like the champagne gold colour of it.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-R8rkozB1b3U/VOnPF00ge9I/AAAAAAAACV8/_h3c2JsUYJM/w898-h506-no/dsc01624-qpr.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-33ci1Y9TVAM/VOnPG1SoQ6I/AAAAAAAACWE/kysJpdGLvH0/w898-h506-no/dsc01625-qpr.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-RWfBnGGCmPA/VOnPIWF1mVI/AAAAAAAACWM/veMoqnRRsxs/w898-h506-no/dsc01626-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 14:02
New mini Focals. Unsure of model name. This isn't a serious show report I was too busy talking to take to much model info in etc.

Just sounded dreadful. Really. New driver material. Not sure that was the problem. Uses sandwich technology. Best put sandwiches in your ear before auditioning.

A massive inter-galactic distance away from the Grand Utopia/Naim Statement set up. No surprise there.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SdkxF0N0WTs/VOnPJZ0XmYI/AAAAAAAACWU/0xp2bwUz7LI/w898-h506-no/dsc01627-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WcxwPC1PCKM/VOnPLEtgHtI/AAAAAAAACWk/DO0kIwUYIa4/w336-h596-no/dsc01628-qpr.jpg

CageyH
22-02-2015, 14:10
New mini Focals. Unsure of model name. This isn't a serious show report I was too busy talking to take to much model info in etc.

Just sounded dreadful. Really. New driver material. Not sure that was the problem. Uses sandwich technology. Best put sandwiches in your ear before auditioning.

A massive inter-galactic distance away from the Grand Utopia/Naim Statement set up. No surprise there.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SdkxF0N0WTs/VOnPJZ0XmYI/AAAAAAAACWU/0xp2bwUz7LI/w898-h506-no/dsc01627-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-WcxwPC1PCKM/VOnPLEtgHtI/AAAAAAAACWk/DO0kIwUYIa4/w336-h596-no/dsc01628-qpr.jpg

It's a "flax" sandwich - http://www.focal.com/en/content/557-flax-sandwich-cone

awkwardbydesign
22-02-2015, 14:12
I got sucked into the Teac room, hoping for some champagne, but they had this instead. Cute. Sorry about the stock pic, but my phone camera had a hissy fit.
http://www.cdrinfo.com/images/uploaded/TEAC_AX_501_1.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 14:29
It's a "flax" sandwich - http://www.focal.com/en/content/557-flax-sandwich-cone

It wasn't only me that thought they sounded dire. Just thought I'd say, like:D

The Barbarian
22-02-2015, 14:30
O dear these Hi-Fi exhibitions are my worse nightmare come true..

User211
22-02-2015, 14:36
Maybe my fave room was the Ming Dinger... technically dreadful amps reviewed in the current issue of HFN really sounding very nice with the Art 12 speakers. I've never heard Art speakers sound as good. 80 Watts class A super-huge 4 chassis amps. The room was tiny. Totally unsuitable and yet the sound was very good.

Which makes you wonder about all these people ranting on about rooms all the time. Sometimes I think it is just excuse for sh*te sounding systems , TBH. If such huge speakers can do so well in a small room you have to wonder sometimes.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8GGohIvw6EA/VOnP1aYn1UI/AAAAAAAACbM/zV4cr0Gv4kE/w898-h506-no/dsc01739-qpr.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-51O1whwI64w/VOnP2gvX2dI/AAAAAAAACbU/I50NEZBqnF0/w898-h506-no/dsc01744-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-oE8jVM42Boo/VOnP5GHIUtI/AAAAAAAACbo/guD4zKk9lcc/w898-h506-no/dsc01749-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 14:37
The Systemdek seemed to sound very good indeed too:

VdH/SME maybe...?

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-x1xAvF-x4f8/VOnP7znMvrI/AAAAAAAACb0/bkWYa9Ar8kQ/w898-h506-no/dsc01760-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-BtcevfXM67E/VOnP5tUSE7I/AAAAAAAACbs/ExyJ8j0_Pc4/w898-h506-no/dsc01754-qpr.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_AbmQf2hA4Y/VOnP8sdAzPI/AAAAAAAACcA/D0LPS-doFuQ/w336-h596-no/dsc01757-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 14:40
All black Orbe on a black acrylic base looked all black. Excellent aesthetics I think.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fshSuWFOUFw/VOnQAQ9JoqI/AAAAAAAACcY/rnDRYYXoMKY/w898-h506-no/dsc01767-qpr.jpg

awkwardbydesign
22-02-2015, 14:43
Maybe my fave room was the Ming Dinger... technically dreadful amps reviewed in the current issue of HFN really sounding very nice with the Art 12 speakers. I've never heard Art speakers sound as good. 80 Watts class A super-huge 4 chassis amps. The room was tiny. Totally unsuitable and yet the sound was very good.

Which makes you wonder about all these people ranting on about rooms all the time. Sometimes I think it is just excuse for sh*te sounding systems , TBH. If such huge speakers can do so well in a small room you have to wonder sometimes.
Now that's curious. I was only in there for a minute or two, but thought it sounded "shouty". It would have been interesting to see if we found the same piece of music to sound different to our ears.
BTW, the best sounding room had one angled wall, so less reflections. I just wish I could remember which room it was! :doh::wheniwasaboy:

User211
22-02-2015, 14:44
Spendor D7s and Devialet. Much better than you might think. Quite a bit of resolution not much colouration to speak of. Definitely good. I'd need more scale and bass extension to live with them but for a practical speaker for most people it is very much worth a listen.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-dWWwxET1l40/VOnQAiDu6-I/AAAAAAAACcc/wgvBSqOInAw/w898-h506-no/dsc01770-qpr.jpg

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-n1829jszFBk/VOnQCX90ekI/AAAAAAAACck/yzd8ndtH46M/w898-h506-no/dsc01773-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 14:46
Classic Spendor design but contemporary production I think is the idea here - again good the Spendor man was busy talking to Alan Sircom and wasn't moving. Loved the finish on these. Fantastic grilles too which really complemented the wood. Bass extension on offer less perhaps than the box size would indicate. Again a good speaker and much loved by someone else in the room who was convinced they were the best the show had to offer.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-DxaB54L69Cw/VOnQDr-tSKI/AAAAAAAACcw/tqdw-Fdt0is/w898-h506-no/dsc01779-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 14:52
£18K worth of Technics speaker sounding muffled and bassy in the foyer at low volume. They might leap into action with some Watts behind them. Again reviewed in the current HFN. Why weren't they playing the the Technics room upstairs I wonder? Nice aesthetics on the amp according to some admirers there.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-UApsACENn94/VOnO-359QeI/AAAAAAAACVE/VbSU-2UI9v8/w898-h506-no/dsc01615-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-s0F38FYG92M/VOnO_wdpHEI/AAAAAAAACVQ/Nhhz2J82ya8/w898-h506-no/dsc01616-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 15:12
Now that's curious. I was only in there for a minute or two, but thought it sounded "shouty". It would have been interesting to see if we found the same piece of music to sound different to our ears.
BTW, the best sounding room had one angled wall, so less reflections. I just wish I could remember which room it was! :doh::wheniwasaboy:

Yeah as I say everything is qualified by "when I was in there" but the few tracks I heard did sound very good. Not shouty by any concept of the term I can relate to. But hey differences of opinion make the hi-fi world go round (and cause a lot of upset in the process, sometimes:D).

User211
22-02-2015, 15:20
Wilson Benesch are importing CH Precision. About £20K for an amp or DAC from CH. WB standmounts £25K. One note bass? Didn't hear any material with varied bass enough to judge. However I felt it sounded better in that room than it has done for quite a few years. Much of the glass had been covered up by thick curtains which may have helped.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GESO2LSCby0/VOnPVu0inII/AAAAAAAACXs/1eeh3WmnuAk/w898-h506-no/dsc01639-qpr.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-TuHeoJ7wDSc/VOnPWwYcRWI/AAAAAAAACX0/MXn9EBMVVvc/w336-h596-no/dsc01642-qpr.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-6D3VoDOgPIk/VOnPYLoXGhI/AAAAAAAACX8/EqzYZntM6ZI/w336-h596-no/dsc01645-qpr.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-qwyY7xB5VWc/VOnPZD5qmuI/AAAAAAAACYI/TdDnkaBlGzA/w898-h506-no/dsc01650-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-FEucaIz4xns/VOnPZYXjLrI/AAAAAAAACYM/He-z2etB-NE/w898-h506-no/dsc01653-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 15:21
And from the all important "otherside":D

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-q46_5TpgiXo/VOnPchgfNwI/AAAAAAAACYc/PnrUzitj8dc/w898-h506-no/dsc01658-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 15:23
Couple of nice Luxmans in the Quad room. Well, the everything room, really. Seemed to be about 5 manufacturers in it somehow. Cutting costs?

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-f5pBTtTJtjQ/VOnPbd3zaSI/AAAAAAAACYU/DJsZwdfxAkA/w898-h506-no/dsc01665-qpr.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-X8N4JPs-nLw/VOnPhNuz6cI/AAAAAAAACY0/Nxg-pRTspgA/w898-h506-no/dsc01668-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-65x5MGXyZLU/VOnPfSu3GaI/AAAAAAAACYs/85ek5R6XE_c/w336-h596-no/dsc01676-qpr.jpg

The liddle ribboned Quad won't amaze but was pleasant enough.

User211
22-02-2015, 15:25
Chord/KEF not sounding good but Chord gear very rarely does to my ears. One chap remarked his ears were hurting and he had to get out as I walked in:)

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-xNSTMPgMxZs/VOnPif0qsyI/AAAAAAAACZE/yZr0R3TwdJE/w898-h506-no/dsc01682-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 15:26
Fairly rare Ikeda tonearm appearance.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wwEyLqJDJDY/VOnPlXNjdtI/AAAAAAAACZY/R4npGFEpT38/w898-h506-no/dsc01687-qpr.jpg

User211
22-02-2015, 15:36
Put my ear into the Audio Note room but it sounded coloured beyond belief. It was also packed. They usually manage a good sounding room but not always. I'm not a fair assessment this year as I only got about 10 seconds worth.

Didn't bother with the Naim Statement/ Focal Grand Utopia demo as I heard it last year.

I also didn't take many pics but there are 63 here (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/110178171641889521518/albums/6118649145708671233/6118649329215838594?pid=6118649329215838594&oid=110178171641889521518). Select More->Slideshow for biggish pics but I compressed them to death for an easy upload. We're not talking something like Munich here which is worth more effort.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to post on... maybe:D Might do some more later but there really isn't too much more to say.

Marco
22-02-2015, 15:44
Fairly rare Ikeda tonearm appearance.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wwEyLqJDJDY/VOnPlXNjdtI/AAAAAAAACZY/R4npGFEpT38/w898-h506-no/dsc01687-qpr.jpg

Nice… Now that would’ve been worth hearing! Any idea what the turntable was? :)

Marco.

struth
22-02-2015, 15:46
nothing thatll get into my system there:rolleyes:

The Barbarian
22-02-2015, 15:52
Still Prefer the Fidelity Research arms of the past.

SLS
22-02-2015, 16:21
Many of you maybe too young to remember the days of the HIFI shows held at London's Olympia hall. I remember queuing for hours to get in and finding the place mobbed, far more than today's efforts. One delight I recall is the introduction of the B&O parallel tracking Beogram 4000.

Clive

My last three audio shows have been Whittlebury 2014, Whittlebury 2013 and Olympia 1980. Whatever happened to the Nalamichi tape deck with graphic equaliser? That was worth a trip on the District Line to go and see.

Jimbo
22-02-2015, 16:26
Put my ear into the Audio Note room but it sounded coloured beyond belief. It was also packed. They usually manage a good sounding room but not always. I'm not a fair assessment this year as I only got about 10 seconds worth.

Didn't bother with the Naim Statement/ Focal Grand Utopia demo as I heard it last year.

I also didn't take many pics but there are 63 here (https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/110178171641889521518/albums/6118649145708671233/6118649329215838594?pid=6118649329215838594&oid=110178171641889521518). Select More->Slideshow for biggish pics but I compressed them to death for an easy upload. We're not talking something like Munich here which is worth more effort.

Anyway, that's all I'm going to post on... maybe:D Might do some more later but there really isn't too much more to say.

Just had a look at your 63 pics Justin, superbly photographed as always.

Cheers you have saved me a journey and expense, much appreciated.:thumbsup:

awkwardbydesign
22-02-2015, 16:36

Well, the pics are better than anything I can manage!
I agree about the Audio Note room. I went there first, and it wasn't sounding good. It usually is to my ears, so I was surprised. But the Chord/Kef system DID sound good with the powerful electronic music that was playing when I was there; no idea how it worked with anything else though.
Unfortunately I had to miss at least half the rooms, as I was looking after someone and couldn't move around very easily. I went to the show about 8 years ago and this visit didn't encourage me to go again, sadly. I think I'm the wrong person for consumer shows, as I build or modify most things, on a limited budget, so there was very little of interest for me there.

hifinutt
22-02-2015, 17:18
had an absolutely brilliant time at the show on Friday . good to see a few I know . the music works room was one of the best with some marvellous classical music on those lovely tannoys

well impressed with rega`s new little integrated , the elicit r . it was playing with the dali room and the tannoy room [normally I don`t like tannoy dct at all] the air and space around the music was very very enjoyable . for a 1600 quid amp its a fine effort and the dali rubicon did not disgrace

enjoyed the few minutes I could grab with the kef, people queuing all day , and I just did not have the patience till 4.30 when many had gone home

all in all , an extremely enjoyable day and some marvellous music and great to see so many British representations

awkwardbydesign
22-02-2015, 18:49
had an absolutely brilliant time at the show on Friday . good to see a few I know . the music works room was one of the best with some marvellous classical music on those lovely tannoys

well impressed with rega`s new little integrated , the elicit r . it was playing with the dali room and the tannoy room [normally I don`t like tannoy dct at all] the air and space around the music was very very enjoyable . for a 1600 quid amp its a fine effort and the dali rubicon did not disgrace

enjoyed the few minutes I could grab with the kef, people queuing all day , and I just did not have the patience till 4.30 when many had gone home

all in all , an extremely enjoyable day and some marvellous music and great to see so many British representations
Well, I'm pleased someone really enjoyed it! At least not everyone is a grumpy old sod (like me).

hifinutt
22-02-2015, 19:02
Well, I'm pleased someone really enjoyed it! At least not everyone is a grumpy old sod (like me).

ah we need all sorts on here !!!
it probably made the difference that I have not had time to get to a hi fi show for a few months and absence makes the heart grow fonder !

Lodgesound
22-02-2015, 19:02
Well looked interesting but honestly those PRICES!!!!!!

Seriously...£130 THOUSAND for a pair of speakers?????

OK right...get back to you on that one.....

So we all have to be rich beyond UK property to have good sound do we??

Just silly and laced with complete unrealistic fiscal snobbery.

Because obviously unless you spend 6 figures you cannot possibly have good sound can you...

Tarzan
22-02-2015, 19:04
Yep.
I agree with Paul - fairly appalling really - horribly coloured and muddled.
I usually enjoy the AN room at shows -- maybe I'm growing up. :D

I'm usually pretty upbeat about shows, cutting a fair bit of slack for show conditions etc - but it really wasn't cutting the mustard this year, for the most part, imho.

Was it an upmarket AN system Jerry?- The reason l ask is l always find their integrated amps and lower speakers K/J ( OTO SE, MEISHI etc ) sound better than their megabucks amps and megabucks loudspeakers.

Just curious.:)

ReggieB
22-02-2015, 20:39

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-8GGohIvw6EA/VOnP1aYn1UI/AAAAAAAACbM/zV4cr0Gv4kE/w898-h506-no/dsc01739-qpr.jpg

Those photos don't give quite the impression of how huge those valves are! They are big beasts.

ReggieB
22-02-2015, 20:41
Classic Spendor design but contemporary production I think is the idea here - again good the Spendor man was busy talking to Alan Sircom and wasn't moving. Loved the finish on these. Fantastic grilles too which really complemented the wood. Bass extension on offer less perhaps than the box size would indicate. Again a good speaker and much loved by someone else in the room who was convinced they were the best the show had to offer.

They were my favourite of the show!

Marco
22-02-2015, 20:53
So WHY haven’t we got a piccy of these (supposedly) awesome Spendors, JUSTIN? :ner: :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

jandl100
22-02-2015, 20:56
Was it an upmarket AN system Jerry?- The reason l ask is l always find their integrated amps and lower speakers K/J ( OTO SE, MEISHI etc ) sound better than their megabucks amps and megabucks loudspeakers.

Just curious.:)

Hi Andy

I was not alone in my assessment of the AN room as you can see from later posts than mine.

TBH I'm not sure of the versions on dem - but I do agree with you with regard to the AN speakers getting worse as the price goes up! More colouration wanted, sir? - no problem, that'll be an extra £10k. :eyebrows:

Beobloke
22-02-2015, 21:07
Nice… Now that would’ve been worth hearing! Any idea what the turntable was? :)

Marco.

Marco, it's an EAT Forte S.

Some interesting comments and great pictures, but no comments on the best sounding rooms I heard - interesting! ;)

Marco
22-02-2015, 21:14
Ah, cheers for that, Adam. Nice T/T. I think that Ikeda arm would be a killer! ;)

Marco.

User211
22-02-2015, 21:20
Ah, cheers for that, Adam. Nice T/T. I think that Ikeda arm would be a killer! ;)

Marco.

Well I missed the live demo totally. See below.

"There is a great opportunity to have your MC phono cartridges retipped in front of you, by A. J. van den Hul during the Sound & Vision Bristol Show 2015.

You will be able to watch through a monitor the repair work A.J. van den Hul will carry out on your cartridge and then have it tested on our demo EAT Forte S turntable fitted with an IKEDA IT-407 12” tonearm. In room 404, AJ will be carrying out repairs throughout the full 3 exhibition days making it possible for you to have your cartridges repaired without the usual waiting time of a few weeks.

Typical prices for the retipping service offered are (a) £ 250.00 inc VAT for a retipping with the VDH type I stylus on an existing Aluminium or, Boron cantilever and (b) £ 385.00 inc VAT for the fitting of a complete matched Boron cantilever/type I stylus assembly. On these prices we will offer a 20% Show discount, while all cartridge checks will be made FOC.
All repairs and checks will be carried out on a first come – first served basis."

User211
22-02-2015, 21:22
Hi Andy

I was not alone in my assessment of the AN room as you can see from later posts than mine.

TBH I'm not sure of the versions on dem - but I do agree with you with regard to the AN speakers getting worse as the price goes up! More colouration wanted, sir? - no problem, that'll be an extra £10k. :eyebrows:

I heard Peter Q's Es last week. His personal pair. Really:eyebrows:

You're not going to be jealous then, Jerry:)

PS Jon has been here all day. Interstellas now 100% finished. Phew! 2.5 years since inception. LOL.

User211
22-02-2015, 21:23
So WHY haven’t we got a piccy of these (supposedly) awesome Spendors, JUSTIN? :ner: :eyebrows:

;)

Marco.

Er... you have. You awake Marco or am I missing something?

montesquieu
22-02-2015, 21:24
I managed three hours this afternoon a fair bit of which was spent looking at records or bits and bobs (the MCRU stand was one of the best in this regard) ... I missed loads (obviously, in that timescale) and never manged to find the RFC Raptors :( but in general I was glad I dropped by if only to confirm for myself that I have put a system together (indeed several) that betters most 'professional' attempts.

I can't remember the speakers they were running with but some Greek (?) amps were doing a fine job - Tsardakis I think they were called. Just my kind of thing, chunky push-pull valve amps. The Ming Da room I found quite interesting but wasn't quite sure what I was listening to - there and in the Icon room some alarmingly large radio transmitter valves were much in evidence, goodness knows what their impedance characteristics are like. Though I suspect neither were actually plugged in when I was there.

As ususal the worst thing about hifi shows was to be experienced everywhere - utterly shite music ranging from rap (who on earth buys an expensive system to be shouted and sworn at by talentless idiots?) to easy listening lounge lizard/recent 'soul'/girl with guitar sonic wallpaper. As usual asking for any classical cleared the room and the vast majority of systems in any case seemed incapable of making a piano sound like a piano, as opposed to something Elton John might thump when plugged in at the Albert Hall.

The Eclipse speaker system (a couple of giant eggs and a sub) did something quite nice with timbre and 3D space, though perhaps a little on the thin side (hifi-ish). I can see how they might work well for some people.

I was disappointed to see Quad only brought ONE 2912 so listening wasn't possible - that would have been one of the highlights for me.

Interesting finally to hear Nick Gorham's new MF branded LCR phono stage which was doing a fine job in the Music First room, though I do wish MF would invest in someting a bit better than the tired old Quad 405 they've used for donkey's years, which is hardly the most transparent thing around and certainly doesn't show the MF gear off to anything like its full potential.

The Technics stuff was a joke at those prices - totally the wrong brand name for the price point. Doing a 'Lexus' is the only option if they want to really storm the market, in Europe at least.

The Spendors and Harbeths did nothing for me I'm afraid.

The Audio Note room sounded OK as far as I could tell with some ear-bleeding heavy metal-rap on. It was full, too. I didn't stop long.

As usual at these things the best fun was to be had perusing the vinyl.

Marco
22-02-2015, 21:28
Er... you have. You awake Marco or am I missing something?

Lol - must’ve been asleep then! Which page are they on? :)

Marco.

User211
22-02-2015, 21:33
Lol - must’ve been asleep then! Which page are they on? :)

Marco.

Page 14 post 136.

Marco
22-02-2015, 21:42
Churz - missed those. They look ‘nice’ in the typical BBC tradition. Wonder how they would compare to my old SP100s……

Good to see that they were on proper low-mass ‘open frame’ stands, which is how ALL Spendor and Harbeth speakers should be used! :)

Marco.

User211
22-02-2015, 21:48
So is this Nick's 'stage, Tom? He was nowhere to be seen when I was in there. I wondered why I couldn't see any gear of his I recognised when I saw Longdog on the door.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fRMu7r7WPEk/VOnPwz3T_RI/AAAAAAAACak/x5Q0bE_NTyg/w898-h506-no/dsc01726-qpr.jpg

Those amps are called Tsakiridis.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kKoeKKwMGO0/VOnPoSnfbcI/AAAAAAAACZs/LBDcFVe7tfI/w898-h506-no/dsc01704-qpr.jpg

Jimbo
22-02-2015, 22:01
Churz - missed those. They look ‘nice’ in the typical BBC tradition. Wonder how they would compare to my old SP100s……

Good to see that they were on proper low-mass ‘open frame’ stands, which is how ALL Spendor and Harbeth speakers should be used! :)

Marco.

I know mine ought to be on open frame stands -just need to find time to get some!:rolleyes:

Jimbo
22-02-2015, 22:02
So is this Nick's 'stage, Tom? He was nowhere to be seen when I was in there. I wondered why I couldn't see any gear of his I recognised when I saw Longdog on the door.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-fRMu7r7WPEk/VOnPwz3T_RI/AAAAAAAACak/x5Q0bE_NTyg/w898-h506-no/dsc01726-qpr.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-kKoeKKwMGO0/VOnPoSnfbcI/AAAAAAAACZs/LBDcFVe7tfI/w898-h506-no/dsc01704-qpr.jpg

Thats Nicks phono stage Justin. I heard it at NEBO5 - stunning!!:eek:

montesquieu
22-02-2015, 23:21

Yes this is it .... Nick was about, we talked briefly. I had Nick's previous generation Longdog branded phono stage for four years and loved it, it really did see off all comers until the Vida came along (also LCR, though solid state rather than valve as Nick's is). Nick's new one (a design for MFA) is really something special, as it should be at almost £10k. I chatted to him during its development but it was clear it wasn't going to be something I was going to be able to afford, so when the Vida came up second hand I snaffled it. The new owner of the Longdog is very pleased with it, it's supendously musical.

And yes I was well impressed by those Tsardakis amps, justin can you remember what they were driving?

clap
22-02-2015, 23:29
For the money I was impressed with the new Q acoustic speakers.

User211
22-02-2015, 23:41
Yes this is it .... Nick was about, we talked briefly. I had Nick's previous generation Longdog branded phono stage for four years and loved it, it really did see off all comers until the Vida came along (also LCR, though solid state rather than valve as Nick's is). Nick's new one (a design for MFA) is really something special, as it should be at almost £10k. I chatted to him during its development but it was clear it wasn't going to be something I was going to be able to afford, so when the Vida came up second hand I snaffled it. The new owner of the Longdog is very pleased with it, it's supendously musical.

And yes I was well impressed by those Tsardakis amps, justin can you remember what they were driving?

Tsakiridis Tom, Tsakiridis. And no, I can't remember because I never found out:D

jandl100
23-02-2015, 08:37
I heard Peter Q's Es last week. His personal pair. Really:eyebrows:

Interesting.
Sort of.

So what were they like, then, Justin?

E's can vary enormously, ime - I've heard a couple that were listenable if you didn't ask too much of them and a couple that were worthy of being thrown straight in the skip as far as I am concerned.

cuddles
23-02-2015, 09:34

Marco.

I need a set of those to go with my BC1s. Can't seem to find them - any tips?

Reffc
23-02-2015, 09:35
It wasn't only me that thought they sounded dire. Just thought I'd say, like:D

The cabinets looked ok from what I could tell but the voicing in the crossover sounded a country mile out, which given Focal's resources, I found rather surprising. They were very lifted in the upper bass and mid range. My guess is that they were 5dB plus lifted between perhaps 300Hz and 2KHz making them sound very forward and mid heavy, colouring vocals. I listened to Radiohead (a track from OK computer) and the voice was disembodied and floating way louder than it ought to be above the instrumental backing. Deeply unpleasant to listen to.

I agree with many of the comments so far, and as usual, a little amused by those who didn't even attend giving their feedback. There was plenty to see and still some encouraging sounds to hear if one was interested in digging into each room although there were too many rooms (as with any hifi show) where a few seconds was all that was needed to turn heel and walk back out.

I wasn't impressed (sadly) by the KEF blades. I really wanted to be, but I wasn't. Every time I have heard these, they have been rather clinical and the bass a little lacking in texture and disjointed from the mids. Some of the speakers others heard over the weekend weren't hooked up on the Friday but the Heeds sounded good, as did Spendors. The Greek valve amps sounded surprisingly good although their looks and finish was a little industrial. Nothing earthbreaking and probably a take on the 5-20 circuit but nice and clean sounding with reasonable bass grip. I didn't see any prices for those.

I avoided the Icon room.

Plenty of assorted accessories and music on offer too although the price of LPs seems to be creeping up every year and merely sticking a label on an lp which reads "Audiophile Pressing" and charging over £45 for it is a bit of a joke and will put many off even getting back into vinyl. Come on guys, less greed where LPs are concerned? We don't know the wholesale so it may be that the producers of these LPs have higher than average manufacturing costs for some of these pressings but for the most part the tracks are almost all digitally laid down and cutting an lp irrespective of weight shouldn't attract that premium. Altering the label to read "Audiofool pressing" might be more apt. As more are produced every year, the hope is that costs will indeed come down. It was nice to see some premium MFSL pressings on offer but I stood and gazed rather than pay their premiums.

Nagaoka (Tonar International) were represented by their owner, Glenn Libgott and his wife and were to be on the ground floor exhibiting a wide range of Nagaoka carts and Tonar accessories. It was a pleasure talking with Glenn who is one of the industry's real gentlemen.

In short, there remained plenty to feel positive about and the vibe was on the whole very positive.

The show seemed to be very well attended and I would go again to exhibit when the opportunity arises.

cuddles
23-02-2015, 09:38
I know mine ought to be on open frame stands -just need to find time to get some!:rolleyes:

Ha:lol: - should have scrolled down first! There seems to be some demand for these jonnies

Marco
23-02-2015, 09:50
I avoided the Icon room.

I’m intrigued… Why - was there a bad smell in there, or what? :eyebrows: :hmm:

Marco.

Marco
23-02-2015, 09:55

Hi Simon,

You can get them elsewhere, but just to show you what I mean: http://www.hificorner.co.uk/something-solid-xf-speaker-stand.html

In the appropriate size for the speakers you’re using, those will be ideal for any Spendor or Harbeth stand-mount speakers :)

Marco.

Clive197
23-02-2015, 10:07
I enjoyed the show and had very interesting and enjoyable conversations with Peter Bartlett (Cyrus), Phil Swift (Spendor) and Nick (Longdog).
The vinyl guys should really try getting their act together. I tried to buy some vinyl but the prices they were charging were way over the top and when I questioned that I was told that they had to charge more than Amazon because Amazon does not have to charge VAT. (What a load of cobblers). GUYS get it together, we won't pay higher prices without added value and vinyl is vinyl.
I would also like to take this opportunity to thank David of MCRU for his hospitality and a wonderful evening meal. THANK YOU.

Clive

hifi_dave
23-02-2015, 11:34

Something Solid XF. PM me if interested.

Marco
23-02-2015, 11:35
Ah, didn’t realise you sold them, Dave! :)

Marco.

hifi_dave
23-02-2015, 11:55
Yes, I have sold Something Solid stands for around 30 years..:wheniwasaboy:

Never found better, especially with BBC designs.

Mark Grant
23-02-2015, 12:20
I enjoyed the show and had very interesting and enjoyable conversations with Peter Bartlett (Cyrus), Phil Swift (Spendor) and Nick (Longdog).
The vinyl guys should really try getting their act together. I tried to buy some vinyl but the prices they were charging were way over the top and when I questioned that I was told that they had to charge more than Amazon because Amazon does not have to charge VAT. (What a load of cobblers). GUYS get it together, we won't pay higher prices without added value and vinyl is vinyl.
Clive

It's not the VAT it is the corporation tax that Amazon are good at avoiding and it's not cobblers it's true :)

A few links:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29519631

http://www.crunch.co.uk/freelancer-advice/2014/05/29/amazon-corporation-tax-profits-uk-avoidance-controversy/

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/may/09/margaret-hodge-urges-boycott-amazon-uk-tax-starbucks

https://www.gov.uk/corporation-tax-rates/rates

Amazon are getting expensive now for many items even though they dont pay the same tax as UK businesses which is a bit strange.

cuddles
23-02-2015, 13:29
Something Solid XF. PM me if interested.

I'm interested ;) PMed

Lee Henley
23-02-2015, 13:57
Its quite amazing how we all seem to hear things differently, I actually thought the AudioNote room sounded very good on Sunday.

The big disappointments for me were the Spendor rooms, what a total disaster, gotta be the worse sounding rooms at the show along with the HEED audio and Harbeth rooms. I actaully spoke to the designer of the Spendor speakers asking whay they had decided to use Devialet amps, he was as amused as what I was, he also thought that the new Spendor speakers they were promoting would have benefited from a nice SE valve amp.

For some strange reason they had the Harbeth speakers sitting on stands which were as tall as me, never seen them like this before and for me they were awful.

The guy in the HEED audio room was promoting his new omni directional speakers, given they were £10k new and looked like they should be sat in a kitchen shop then in all honesty the best place for them would have been the kitchen, bloody awful both to look at and to listen too.

Most of the Tannoys I heard were poor sounding as was all of the Naim amps, shockingly bad although I did enjoy the Statement room even though the bass was way out of control on the London Grammer track, sounded like we were about to take off at one point.

The Music First room was sounding really nice as was the Michell room, I actually thought the Michell room was one of the best sounding rooms in the show, the guy was telling me that they were using their new MC Cartridge and this should be available soon at a RRP of around £1100, Im pretty sure it was based on a Benz cart.

All in all it was a nice day out, Ive gone for the last 10 years or more and this time I took Deggie with me for the first time, we pretty much shared the same opinions as we were going round. I was going to buy some vinyl but at the prices they were asking for secondhand french re-issue Blue Notes I decided not to, way too expensive for me!

Like I said before we all hear things differently and peoples tastes and listening experiences all vary, this is just my take on what I can remember on the day

Marco
23-02-2015, 14:34
I’m intrigued… Why - was there a bad smell in there, or what? :eyebrows: :hmm:

:popcorn: :popcorn:

Marco.

Clive197
23-02-2015, 17:09
It's not the VAT it is the corporation tax that Amazon are good at avoiding and it's not cobblers it's true :)

A few links:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29519631

http://www.crunch.co.uk/freelancer-advice/2014/05/29/amazon-corporation-tax-profits-uk-avoidance-controversy/

http://www.theguardian.com/business/2014/may/09/margaret-hodge-urges-boycott-amazon-uk-tax-starbucks

https://www.gov.uk/corporation-tax-rates/rates

Amazon are getting expensive now for many items even though they dont pay the same tax as UK businesses which is a bit strange.

With respect. I pay VAT on all items I purchase from Amazon as I suspect you do. Therefore my cobblers comment stands.

As for corporation tax, that is a very different conversation. I would also suspect that some of the small business's that sell vinyl also do not pay corporation tax, but as I don't pretend to be an expert on such matters I shall not judge.

Is your suggestion that we should not make purchases from Amazon as they seem to use a very suspect accountancy method to avoid such tax. It seems to me that if they are not actually doing something illegal and our government has not as yet closed the loophole then if I as a customer can purchase cheaper than I will. It is a hard world we live in and if a company cannot make a living from vinyl because Amazon is a competitor then they should find a way of adding extra value.

User211
23-02-2015, 20:47
Interesting.
Sort of.

So what were they like, then, Justin?

E's can vary enormously, ime - I've heard a couple that were listenable if you didn't ask too much of them and a couple that were worthy of being thrown straight in the skip as far as I am concerned.

I'm on a phone so briefly - Kev has them at the moment. Kev really likes them but I prefer the ones he owns by a margin. Just way more dynamic but Kevin likes the added refinement and detail they offer. You know what I like Jerry and a fast, dynamic ballsy sound is not what those Es offer.

I could say more but I am just really pleased I heard them purely for interest's sake.

The best I have heard his system sound is with the pair he owns on the end of my 211s. Dynamic, room filling and awesome IMHO but I am biased there:)

jandl100
23-02-2015, 21:45
I'm on a phone so briefly - Kev has them at the moment. Kev really likes them but I prefer the ones he owns by a margin. Just way more dynamic but Kevin likes the added refinement and detail they offer. You know what I like Jerry and a fast, dynamic ballsy sound is not what those Es offer.

I could say more but I am just really pleased I heard them purely for interest's sake.

The best I have heard his system sound is with the pair he owns on the end of my 211s. Dynamic, room filling and awesome IMHO but I am biased there:)

Urk. Nuff said.

montesquieu
23-02-2015, 23:16
Plenty of assorted accessories and music on offer too although the price of LPs seems to be creeping up every year and merely sticking a label on an lp which reads "Audiophile Pressing" and charging over £45 for it is a bit of a joke and will put many off even getting back into vinyl. Come on guys, less greed where LPs are concerned?

And the rest Paul ... there were audiophool pressings for over £100 ... I just don't see how any bit of vinyl is worth that, unless it was Paul McCartney's personal copy of AbbeyRoad and destined for Sotherbys some day. I'd rather have the CD at that price. Many of the vinyl vendors were totally taking the piss, the trouble is having a turntable has suddenly become a trendy rich people signifier and such people don't seem to have a problem with dropping this sort of cash on vinyl. It's now 'luxury' and as with all things 'luxury' there's a more-money-than-sense premium attached.

I did leave with (of all things) some Naim Jazz records all of which were priced reasonably sensibly, much as I think their amplifiers are the spawn of Satan.

Is your suggestion that we should not make purchases from Amazon as they seem to use a very suspect accountancy method to avoid such tax. It seems to me that if they are not actually doing something illegal and our government has not as yet closed the loophole then if I as a customer can purchase cheaper than I will.

As for Amazon, I nowdays mostly avoid them if I can buy elsewphere. The way they arrange their accounting affairs may be legal, but it's not moral, they have bullied their way to a stupidly low corporation tax arrangement in Luxembourg which enables them to avoid proper taxes in the main EU jurisdictions they sell in (UK, Germany, France, Italy), where they make their profits, and whose national infrastructure (such as working tax credits in the UK) that they exploit for their substantial operations. It may be permitted by Brussels, but consumers can vote with their wallets if they don't approve. I don't.

There are moves afoot to deal with this sort of aggressive tax avoidance at an EU level and I don't think it can come quick enough. (I don't use Starbucks for similar reasons).

struth
23-02-2015, 23:25
Juno Records are where I get most of mine tbh and all have been great and delivered v quickly.

RichB
23-02-2015, 23:26
And the rest Paul ... there were audiophool pressings for over £100 ... I just don't see how any bit of vinyl is worth that, unless it was Paul McCartney's personal copy of AbbeyRoad and destined for Sotherbys some day. I'd rather have the CD at that price. Many of the vinyl vendors were totally taking the piss, the trouble having a turntable has suddenly become a trendy rich people signifier and such people don't seem to have a problem with dropping this sort of cash on vinyl. It's now 'luxury' and as with all things 'luxury' there's a premium attached.

I did leave with (of all things) some Naim Jazz records all of which were priced reasonably sensibly, much as I think their amplifiers are the spawn of Satan.

As for Amazon, I nowdays mostly avoid them if I can buy elsewphere. The way they arrange their accounting affairs may be legal, but it's not moral, they have bulled their way to a stupidly low corporation tax arrangement in Luxembourg which enables them to avoid proper taxes in the main EU jurisdictions they sell in (UK, Germany, France, Italy). It may be permitted by Brussels, but consumers can vote with their wallets if they don't approve. I don't.

+1

ReggieB
23-02-2015, 23:27
Did anyone else like the Elac Wall mounted speakers?

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/uploads/content/5733/13900/13900_large.jpg

I thought they sounded good, and were a great wife-friendly solution

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/news_detail.lasso?newsid=5733#.VOu2g5_RcUQ

Butuz
24-02-2015, 17:09
I thought they sounded awful sibilant and shouty compared to elacs normal, delicate speakers.

Marco
24-02-2015, 17:12

The best “wife-friendly solution” (WAF) is to change the wife to one that’s more acceptable, not the speakers! ;)

Marco.

hifinutt
24-02-2015, 19:16
Did anyone else like the Elac Wall mounted speakers?

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/uploads/content/5733/13900/13900_large.jpg

http://www.bristolshow.co.uk/news_detail.lasso?newsid=5733#.VOu2g5_RcUQ

not that keen on the speakers but I must say I am glad I did not take my wife because she would have nagged me to have them !! rather liked the sub which ran its own test from your listening position

RochaCullen
26-02-2015, 21:41

Same here, I bought a load of their charlie haden stuff. Unfortunately I left it in the hotel I was staying in, so had to arrange for it to be posted. Silly me. I also think I must have missed a lot of the show. I did spot MCRU and had a brief chat with David, but didnt manage to catch the Harbeth room or the Audio Note room. Both of which I wanted to see. I really liked the sound coming from the quad room through those tiny bookshelf speakers; plus there was a session where they switched sides in the Arcam room and played some high rez tracks through some lovely Spendors, which to my ears sounded very clean and balanced.

Was delighted to get there that Sunday, so the flight over was worth it. The Jazz in The Duke the night before was worth the trip alone, the hangover on the Sunday made the show a little bit of a daze. A friend and I managed to stumble across another Trio playing in a bar around the corner from our hotel on the Sunday night also, and they were really good.

RochaCullen
26-02-2015, 21:48
Just had a look on the Spendor site and it was the D7 I heard in the Arcam room. They did sound lovely.