PDA

View Full Version : Daevid Allen; terminal cancer

awkwardbydesign
06-02-2015, 13:16
http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/feb/05/gong-founder-daevid-allen-has-six-months-to-live
Very sad. I am a big fan of Daevid Allen, from Soft Machine through Gong to his solo work and back to Gong. Last saw him in Exeter 3 or 4 years ago with the Gong line-up that included Steve Hillage and Miquette Giraudy.

struth
06-02-2015, 13:26
sad to hear. i liked soft. he was a poet too.

i will move this to abstract i think as it would be more suited there richard

awkwardbydesign
06-02-2015, 13:46
OK.

The Barbarian
06-02-2015, 15:17
O dear Daevid Allen & his Gong band were ace.. I was lucky enough to have seen them twice now..

Spectral Morn
06-02-2015, 16:58
I was aware of the cancer before, article in a Prog mag, but had hoped it would not return - very sad to hear this announcement.

I have mixed feelings about Gong under Allen's leadership, prefering the Hillage period and the later Pierre Moerlen one but Angels Egg and some of Radio Gnome are wonderful, especially the live session Gong did for the BBC during the same time - available on Gong Live etc.

Thank you Daevid for setting Gong in motion.

I will pray for him, it won't hurt.

Regards Neil

The Barbarian
06-02-2015, 19:38
I have mixed feelings about Gong under Allen's leadership, prefering the Hillage period and the later Pierre Moerlen one but Angels Egg and some of Radio Gnome are wonderful, especially the live session Gong did for the BBC during the same time - available on Gong Live etc.

'Gong Live Etc' was a great LP im dtill looking for a mint 1st issue with Diecut sleeve. You might be interested in the 'Pre Modernist Wireless, The Peel Session' Great recordings from'71-'74.. This was available on double Vinyl {Turning Point Recs} aswell as CDee..

However for me the Very early period {Magic Bro, Camenbert, Continental Circus} is the clobber i like best.