PDA

View Full Version : Just how knackerd is too knackerd (1210's)

The Vinyl Adventure
19-08-2009, 17:14
I have seen a pair of 1210's in cash converters £250 (which quite amusingly is located in the shop that used to be B&O)
they are pretty tatty, but I think with a spit'n'polish they would clean up ok! My querry is with the guts of them, obviously I don't know there past but I think it's fair to asume they have been used for "mixing"
my question is,is there any tell's to look out for that would give the impresion of a shot motor or dicky arm or whatever.... The guy in there was very helpful and I'm sure he would let me plug them in if ness? I have intentions of having it repainted if I get one so I'm not hugly fussed about the aesthetic condition etc
any advice, even the most basic is welcome, cheers

Varun
19-08-2009, 17:51
and you are holding a Nikon D3 in your left hand Hamish

NRG
19-08-2009, 18:57
I would think Hamish that if they spin up to speed quickly (can't recall how many turns maybe less than one revolution), hold a rock steady speed and the bearing shows no signs of side play then they would probably be OK

The Vinyl Adventure
19-08-2009, 18:58
That, my good man, has gone right over my head! Do you mean that like the d3 the 1210's hold up to pro use??

Varun
19-08-2009, 19:18
no chance-you should know

The Vinyl Adventure
19-08-2009, 19:53
what the hell... how criptic do you wanna be?! where the bloody is marco with his 1210 advice when you need him?!
are you suggesting i should take some photos to post for people to inspect ... or are you suggesting i should be doing something else with my right hand.... beyond that ... you really are baffling me

Alex_UK
19-08-2009, 19:57
If it helps Hamish, I haven't got a scooby what Varun is going on about either!

The Vinyl Adventure
19-08-2009, 19:58
I would think Hamish that if they spin up to speed quickly (can't recall how many turns maybe less than one revolution), hold a rock steady speed and the bearing shows no signs of side play then they would probably be OK

.... i didnt spot this comment

cheers! ... i will bare that in mind... for the most part is it purly aesthetics that people would normally pay more for then

The Vinyl Adventure
19-08-2009, 19:58
If it helps Hamish, I haven't got a scooby what Varun is going on about either!

.... good to know im not going completely mad then?!?!

StanleyB
19-08-2009, 20:58
.... good to know im not going completely mad then?!?!
There is a saying on some forums: this topic is useless without any pictures:eyebrows:.

The Vinyl Adventure
19-08-2009, 21:22
Righto, il see what I can do... It was more a general enquiery on things to look out for that might denote some kind of fault! Not even specific to the ones I looked at today if that makes sence?
Are these decks that robust that even after a hammering by a dj they will still be ok to do up?

Spectral Morn
19-08-2009, 21:46
Hamish

I think he (Varun) was referring to your cute avatar...what camera is he holding?

Regards D S D L

StanleyB
19-08-2009, 21:48
If they are ex-DJ, look for blood stains, drinks spillage, bent arms and stylus, cracked covers, and phone numbers scribbled on the top case.

Of course, those are just my suggestions based on my former decks:gig:.

The Vinyl Adventure
19-08-2009, 21:52
Yeah a d3 ... I got that bit ... I just wasn't sure why he was refering to it .... maybe I was just having one of these "senior moments" that the oldy's on here talk about ;)
I get the impression I'm not going to get very far without actually taking some photos so I shall head down there in the am and see what I cam rustle up!

Varun
20-08-2009, 05:40
Hi Hamish,

Neil spotted my hint- but I was not taunting- just admiring once I realized that it was a full frame D3. No good for images for this forum but I am sure you can reduce the size right down- but then you would know tons more than me.

My joke was- why on earth would a man with a D3 want a clapped out rattly tin and plastic.

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 07:51
no offence taken at all i was just highly confused...
in repsonse ... coz the man with the d3 has spent all his money on cameras and lenses!

Dave Cawley
20-08-2009, 08:35
£125 each is good. Check they work well, that is they start and stop within a second. If you feel unsure don't buy. Ditch the arm anyway.

Just bought the new f/1.4 from Nikon http://www.dpreview.com/news/0809/08092201nikkor_50mm_1_4glens.asp for a much smaller footprint than the 24-70 f2.8 G ED AF S, should be good in social gatherings with no flash.

Dave

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 09:03
Cheers dave! I'm heading down there to have another look in a bit! There us a pair of silver mk5's for £350 but someone has painted them very shody gold! Il get a snap of them too just for the amusement of others!

The 50 1.4 afs is suposed to be a gem! Are you a d3 or d700 man then? I spent ages mulling weather to go for a new d700 or a second hand d3! In the end found a guy advertising a d3 with 5500 actuations for less then the price of a new d700.. Needless to say I went for it!
I frequently use my f3 recreationally, I have the old 50mm 1.2 ai it's not as sharp as the new lenses by a country mile and it's not exactly that easy to focus at 1.2 but I love the results! ... I'm just scanning a couple now as it goes

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 09:14
nikon f3 50mm 1.2, with: hp5 400, shot at: f1.2 15th second
it was dark!
http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/img660.jpg

http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww282/hamish_gill/img666.jpg
drifted my own thread now

Dave Cawley
20-08-2009, 13:26
You were very lucky, I tried and tried to get a used D3 and in the end bought a D700 and a shed load of new glass. I'll eBay my D200 and 17-55mm f/2.8 in a few weeks time.

Regards

Dave

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 13:38
i was indeed very lucky.. i did it at the right time you see.. bit of insider knoledge! i knew nikon prices were rising the d700 had got up to about £1950 at the time and i knew that the d3 price was set to go back up a good chunk too so i bought the second hand d3 for £1900 in the time between the d700 price going up and the d3 price going up!
of course i could have been more clever and bought the d700 for £1650 when they went that low just after they first came out ...but i wasnt quick enough

how do you rate the 24-70? have you noticed those pesky chromatic aberations towards the edge of the frame at the wider angles when shooting into light ... they dont even go when you stop down to 5.6-8... bugs me it does... but thten i got a damn good price on that lens too :)

Dave Cawley
20-08-2009, 13:50
I was offered a used D3 for £2,200 but I could not reclaim the VAT. I would have snapped one up for £1,900 though! But: after the VAT had been removed I paid £1,261 for the D700, I have friends who work for Nikon!

Aberrations don't really bother me and I haven't noticed, but have not looked either, I don't think I will now!

Regards

Dave

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 15:48
Nothingthat can't be removed very simply with a bit of clever softwear ... I feel like such a traitor to my trade sometimes!
I used to have quite a good working relationship with one of the girls in Nikon sales who promised me trade price on a one off item once but I left the shop full time and lost touch and I think she has left Nikon now .. So missed the boat really
I know of a couple of people who are after a 17-55 2.8 at the right price, what you asking for it and il pass it on!

Back to the thread!
I just picked up 2 mint, 1210 mkii's for £250 ... And yea you read right.... "mint!" Hehe I have a smug grin on my face today!
Pictures for you all to hate me tomorrow!

Varun
20-08-2009, 17:21
Hi Hamish,

Best luck with the new BOYS TOYS- by the way the new 1.4/50 is not meant for FX but only DX versions. You have to wait until Nikkon come out with new FX lenses- until then you will indeed have all sorts of problems. Zeiss lenses would be a better bet- my friend an eminent Indian photographer does not like zooms for precisely the problems you are talking about.

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 17:50
The new 50 is for fx, the new 35 is for dx ( ithink)
I too prefer primes in Theory but nikons range of primes is out dated and the cz's are manual focus. The d3 focus screen is matte enough for manual focus when you have the time, but for quick focusing you can't beat a bit of afs ... Christ I am a sell out to modern tech arnt I!?

Dave Cawley
20-08-2009, 18:04
Good on your 1210's you won't regret it! one for 78rpm and another for LP's ??

The 17-55 2.8 was bought by me new and over the counter in person from Mifsuds Paignton, it is Nikon UK registered. Have all the boxes etc. On eBay they sell for £600 to £761!! Mifsuds want £749. I'm very motivated and take credit cards on the phone ( 01803 833366 ) or PayPal and can send by any method. So could you ask your friends what they would consider a fair price to buy it now?

Ta!

Dave

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 20:25
one for danjennings, one for me .. he is as happy as a pig in plop as i am..
i will definately be in touch soon dave .. i think the time step psu is on the cards as well as a weight and a new mat!.. i might take a bit of time to raise the cash but i have a game plan! (got my oc9 and audio tech headshell awaiting mounting now!)

as regards lens send me a pm tomorrow to remind me and il see what i can do, i can think of 2 people at least who might be interested an im in the shop tomorrow so i can ring around!

Varun
20-08-2009, 21:08
Eyes getting old as well- so yes autofocus is useful for me now-although I rather use my 6x7 rangefinder with exchangeable backs and 2 lenses- all solid steel and heavy- still like films-but do not do much photo taking.

No doubt you will declare your ready TTs with dazzling images.

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 21:20
Yeah photos coming tomorrow!
What rangefinder do you use then? I'm a big rf fan! I love my voigtlander r2a, there is something so satisfying about rf's and my photos are almost always better when using them... They just seem to be that bit better for framing!

DanJennings
20-08-2009, 21:23
one for danjennings, one for me .. he is as happy as a pig in plop as i am..

waheeeey!
250 for two, with flight cases as well!

No doubt you will declare your ready TTs with dazzling images

damn right, I can't wait to see my new beast

The Vinyl Adventure
20-08-2009, 23:15
just removed oc9 from tabriz and preliminarily atatched it to mg10 headshell (or at least have selected the correct screws) ready for mounting on sl1210.. not that im jumping the gun or anything!?
hehe... im not to overexited like a kid before xmas!!

Varun
21-08-2009, 06:07
Tabriz? named after a city in Iran so must have something to do with Roksan!!

rf- Koni-Omega- was used in the 50s for aerial surveys in USA. Lenses by Konica I would say- excellent quality. Included is an image of twin bridges on Dartmoor- handheld at 1/15 sec. I was very fussy about always using a tripod but no longer-and always Kodak Portra. I wish Imageshack did not blow images up like this.

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/2376/21449294.jpg

Marc B
17-10-2009, 13:49
I have seen a pair of 1210's in cash converters £250 (which quite amusingly is located in the shop that used to be B&O)
they are pretty tatty, but I think with a spit'n'polish they would clean up ok! My querry is with the guts of them, obviously I don't know there past but I think it's fair to asume they have been used for "mixing"
my question is,is there any tell's to look out for that would give the impresion of a shot motor or dicky arm or whatever.... The guy in there was very helpful and I'm sure he would let me plug them in if ness? I have intentions of having it repainted if I get one so I'm not hugly fussed about the aesthetic condition etc
any advice, even the most basic is welcome, cheers

I used to buy them off the clubs/bars that were getting refurbs in Liverpool about 10-15 years ago. They used to polish up really well apart from the cig burns.

Hypnotoad
17-10-2009, 19:31
If you are greeted with, "Yo, b!tch!" the seller has used them for scratching.