PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Amp: LM3886 Gain Clone. Any Good?

Stiffy
05-02-2015, 09:42
There's someone on Ebay selling a Cambridge Audio amp for £60.00 that has been modded/upgraded.

It has an 'LM3886 Gain Clone' output stage fitted and an updated input board.
What difference will the mods make to the amp and is it a good quality upgrade?

I've been let down by someone on Ebay last week so I'm still looking for an amp and wondered if this would be a worthwhile contender?

agk
05-02-2015, 11:42
I was looking at that myself. I've heard about gain clones and they seem to get good reviews but I'd like to know what the opinions here are too.

hifi_dave
05-02-2015, 12:58
Thing is, you don't know what you are exactly getting with this 'modified/upgraded' amp. Surely, you would need to see and hear it before buying this complete unknown ?

Stiffy
05-02-2015, 14:56
Thing is, you don't know what you are exactly getting with this 'modified/upgraded' amp. Surely, you would need to see and hear it before buying this complete unknown ?

Yes, you're absolutely right.
There's too many things against it.

1. Who did the work and to what standard.
2. What is the over all sound like now compared to a standard version.
3. Have the mods affected the amp in other areas.

These would be the main questions in my mind, however due to location...a demo won't be possible so I'm going to give it a body swerve.

I'm sick of looking for an amp now and being let down by people saying they're going to sell something then changing their mind. (I'd actually paid for the last one) so I'm going to look for a poxy Technics pile of crap and just listen to music.

agk
05-02-2015, 15:04
For 60 notes I may take a punt.

Hoping for something at Tonbridge though.