PDA

View Full Version : EAR primary drive speakers

seoirse2002
30-01-2015, 14:13
I think there is a thread on here somewhere about these speakers.Apparently suitable for valve amps as I was told by the person I got them from,but I don't have a valve amp so cant comment.These were prototypes,I believe and there is a small problem with one of them that can be sorted,(but not by inexperienced me!) They can be heard working in London and I will let them go for a quick sale as they seldom get used and I just don't have the room for them anymore. PM me for any more details and I will call you if need be:
Offers invited:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=9612&d=1329586971

They are 43 inches Tall and 17 1/2 inches across....speakers are approx. 3 to 4 inches wide....stands are 12 inches deep,taking the speakers approx. 7 inches away from the wall depending on the skirting board width...

walpurgis
30-01-2015, 15:09
Might be an idea to give people some idea of how much you expect to get for these George. Perhaps you could describe the problem that one has too.

seoirse2002
30-01-2015, 17:25
Hi Geoff,
Thanks for the advice, I noticed a vibration when very deep bass was played and when I let a friend hear it,without doing anything else,he very gently touched around the frame of the driver until it stopped. He told me that there is a membrane inside and it has just come a little loose at that point and is probably held in place with silicone.To solve the problem without taking the speakers apart,and instead of standing there all the time with my finger on the spot,he just put an elastic band around the speaker with a small piece of rubber on the spot. Because it only requires the slightest pressure,the problem is solved. My friend said this could easily be fixed,but unfortunately Im incapable of taking the speakers apart and wouldent dare anyway,and hes gone back to the US now. I did ring Tim at Ear who told me that he didn't himself build the speakers and promised to call me with the number of the person who did,but he has never got back to me as yet,and as I haven't been using them,they have been just lying there which is a shame...Due to this Im suggesting offers,and as I didn't actually pay for these(I did a swop of a system I had) which I was selling for over £1000..I am suggesting offers over £500 which I think to the right person is a bargain,considering the retail price of these...I am happy to let anyone come and even bring their own amp to listen if they wish....ps they came with Nordost cable so they will go with them as well

walpurgis
30-01-2015, 18:01
I'm guessing, but from your description it seems that it could be one of the bass driver coils rubbing in the magnet gap. Quite possibly a relatively easy fix.

seoirse2002
30-01-2015, 18:49
Yes, my friend did suggest that, but we didn't take it any further when the elastic band worked. I think they need someone who knows about speakers and is willing to take them apart and find out,or else hassle Tim Paravincini to get the number of the guy who built them...I believe hes in Leicester

walpurgis
30-01-2015, 18:52
I've used the elastic band trick myself.

Complin
05-02-2015, 20:47
Do these have to be out into the room to perform best as or can they be used against a wall

hornucopia
05-02-2015, 22:04
It's not the dreaded dropped magnet scenario (like Leak Sandwiches) is it?
Where the magnet in the speaker drops gradually via gravity.
solution? you unscrew the unit and turn it 180 degrees and re-fix.
Magnet then re-centres, and rubbing stops.
Not THAT can easily be done, even by a novice.

walpurgis
05-02-2015, 22:19
It's not the dreaded dropped magnet scenario (like Leak Sandwiches) is it?
Where the magnet in the speaker drops gradually via gravity.
solution? you unscrew the unit and turn it 180 degrees and re-fix.
Magnet then re-centres, and rubbing stops.
Not THAT can easily be done, even by a novice.

You have your ideas a bit confused. It's not the magnet that drops, it's the cone that sags out of alignment on its suspension. A rotation can sometimes help. :)

seoirse2002
06-02-2015, 12:31
Do these have to be out into the room to perform best as or can they be used against a wall

No they are perfectly happy against the wall...the built in stands set them a certain distance from the wall which seems ideal...

Actually Ive just been listening to them and they sound great,and strangely enough,the wife prefers the sound of them to my Tannoys!
Hope this helps
G