PDA

View Full Version : FS: Rega Jura Mk1 Loudspeakers Modified and Tuned by Reference Fidelity Components

LittleTone
30-01-2015, 13:20
For Sale

Rega Jura Mk1 Loudspeakers

These have been very effectively modified/tuned by Paul of Reference Fidelity Components
Crossover modifications and rear port changed to front panel

There are a few marks commensurate with age; but nothing you'll really notice from a couple of feet away.

£200 collected from Wiltshire; which is a lot less that the mods cost alone

Thanks for looking

Zoidburg
30-01-2015, 16:23
They look fantastic and I am sure sound it too. GLWTS.

LittleTone
30-01-2015, 16:36
Don't look bad do they ..........

Paul (RFC) made a very good job of making a silk purse out of a sow's ear; as they say

struth
30-01-2015, 21:04
Pity you were not "twotone" from Glasgow or i'd have had them lol. They look great and sure they will get taken soon.

LittleTone
31-01-2015, 18:01
Weekend Bump

jandl100
31-01-2015, 18:21
The original Jura were a feisty and fun speaker, but obviously coloured.

I bet Paul has turned them into a real feast for the ears!

LittleTone
02-02-2015, 09:35
Bump

LittleTone
04-02-2015, 15:31
Bump

LittleTone
06-02-2015, 13:20
Weekend Bump

LittleTone
13-02-2015, 20:14
WeekEnd Bump

Reffc
14-02-2015, 12:43
Surprised to see these still for sale Tony; they deserved to go very quickly at your very reasonable price!

For those teetering on the edge of interest (undecided) perhaps a few words of encouragement:

These are in super condition. All drivers were individually tested on my Dayton Audio test system, voice coils are fine, impedance plots are very close and acoustic response is closely matched between speakers.

The work undertaken sought to improve midrange clarity and not to run that mid woofer quite so high as the original design had it beaming on axis. Crossover point was lowered, impedance correction applied and new higher quality crossover components installed. The bass issues were also addressed. The original design is rear ported (why do manufacturers insist on rear porting, it drives me nuts!) and the original port size is way too constricted imho, resulting in obvious port noise as well as boom and muddle when placed anywhere near a rear wall.

I removed the original ports and filed them in the bin. The hole was plugged and a new strengthening tempered glass plate was epoxy resigned across the opening to seal and to stiffen the lower part of the cabinet.

A new port hole was cut into the front panel (avoiding boom issues when placed close to rear walls, resulting in much cleaner bass) and the port diameter was increased to reduce port velocity at resonance so that the port is inaudible. Tuning point was retained for correct power transfer efficiency but length was altered for the new diameter. To further improve port efficiency a bellmouth port design was selected. The larger diameter also couples more efficiently with the room.

The end result was a very significant improvement on Rega's cost cutting design turning a good little speaker into a great little speaker. They're also quite efficient and with the crossover mods present a very easy amplifier load.
Buy with confidence. Tony is a lovely fella, a true gent.

Geoff101
14-02-2015, 13:18
I don't suppose you fancy a swap for my Celestions do you Tony?
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36609-FS-Celestion-SL6S-with-original-stands

struth
14-02-2015, 13:36
Surprised to see these still for sale Tony; they deserved to go very quickly at your very reasonable price!

For those teetering on the edge of interest (undecided) perhaps a few words of encouragement:

These are in super condition. All drivers were individually tested on my Dayton Audio test system, voice coils are fine, impedance plots are very close and acoustic response is closely matched between speakers.

The work undertaken sought to improve midrange clarity and not to run that mid woofer quite so high as the original design had it beaming on axis. Crossover point was lowered, impedance correction applied and new higher quality crossover components installed. The bass issues were also addressed. The original design is rear ported (why do manufacturers insist on rear porting, it drives me nuts!) and the original port size is way too constricted imho, resulting in obvious port noise as well as boom and muddle when placed anywhere near a rear wall.

I removed the original ports and filed them in the bin. The hole was plugged and a new strengthening tempered glass plate was epoxy resigned across the opening to seal and to stiffen the lower part of the cabinet.

A new port hole was cut into the front panel (avoiding boom issues when placed close to rear walls, resulting in much cleaner bass) and the port diameter was increased to reduce port velocity at resonance so that the port is inaudible. Tuning point was retained for correct power transfer efficiency but length was altered for the new diameter. To further improve port efficiency a bellmouth port design was selected. The larger diameter also couples more efficiently with the room.

The end result was a very significant improvement on Rega's cost cutting design turning a good little speaker into a great little speaker. They're also quite efficient and with the crossover mods present a very easy amplifier load.
Buy with confidence. Tony is a lovely fella, a true gent.

if he lived nearer me i would have bought them as sure theyd be great

LittleTone
19-02-2015, 23:00
Weekend Bump

LittleTone
20-02-2015, 00:04
I don't suppose you fancy a swap for my Celestions do you Tony?
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?36609-FS-Celestion-SL6S-with-original-stands

Sorry Geoff
Already purchased the replacements

struth
20-02-2015, 00:13
Her's a full pic for folk; FEAST your eyes:)

http://theartofsound.net/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=13865&d=1422623264

LittleTone
20-02-2015, 07:25
Thank you Paul for the comments
Thank you Grant for the Picture

LittleTone
27-02-2015, 13:27
Weekend Bump
Reasonable offers considered

LittleTone
03-03-2015, 23:13
Provisionally sold

rdpx
04-03-2015, 00:01
Provisionally sold

I am very pleased to hear that.
I came close to buying these myself a few weeks ago as i was going to be passing nearby on the way up the M4.
Sadly my other half refused to allow them in the house due to the colour of the wood...

I look forward to hearing what the new owner thinks of them.

R