PDA

View Full Version : Song/album that is too detailed for Hi-Fi and works better on Mid-Fi?

brucew268
30-01-2015, 11:24
Do you have a song or album that has so much production detail that it actually works better on mid-fi or on systems that are more mid-focused with slightly rolled off highs? I've been listening to Stornoway's "Tales From Terra Firma" for the last few months and can hardly listen on my main Hi-Fi. On my desktop system with smooth IEM's (no slouch) the album sounds like the great indie folk-pop it is meant to be. But the music is packed with so many layers of sounds and instruments that my main Hi-Fi makes it sound like a crazy circus (as if the arranger & musicians are a bit manic) and is out of balance, not so fun to listen to. Back on my IEM's and it is fun music again. I looked for some discussion of the production and found it in this Sound on Sound (http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/may13/articles/stornoway.htm) article, which confirmed that they threw so many instruments and sounds into the mix that the Mixing Engineer had a quite a time fashioning it into the ending sound... which most reviewers seem to enjoy.

Light Dependant Resistor
30-01-2015, 11:51
A good audio system should be capable of sorting out whatever is recorded, reading the sound on sound article a number of different acoustic area's were used.
If you want to, your quest may be to make your main hi fi system capable of telling you what occurred, can you for instance with your main system start to hear the
community hall acoustic or church they used or the street sounds, and recognize the overdubs . Try and identify what your mid fi system is not providing whilst
at the same time sounding pleasant.

As a comparison try to listen to very simple yet outstanding recordings like Tord Gustavsen Changing Places or Being there on ECM

Cheers / Chris

brucew268
30-01-2015, 13:03
I am considering whether my mids area bit too lean on the main system. However, I highly enjoy most music on the main Hi-Fi and also appreciate the subtle details, nuances, and 3D space around the instruments. But on this album all those details are a little too hot in the mix to make an organic whole out of the music. Not something I experience on most other albums. Good music is the aim, not a magnifying glass on otherwise hidden sounds. On the other hand, my IEM's provide most of the HF details in a more subtle, slightly laid back fashion allowing even this album to sound properly mixed; probably rolled of a bit but not enough to feel slow, closed in or un-detailed. That's a careful balance that a number of 'euphonic' components have trouble with, in my experience.

BTW: I do have a lot of acoustic jazz trios on the order of Tord Gustavsen. Good stuff!

Anthony K
30-01-2015, 15:28
Yes..............Telefon tel aviv - Farenheit fair enough

A lot of mid and high digital frequency and synth noise floating around the mix that is very fatiguing on my high-end system , mid price is more forgiving