PDA

View Full Version : FS Tisbury Passive Preamp

Roy S
28-01-2015, 00:38
Not using this at the moment so thought someone else might like to try it. Purchased new by me & just over a year old (don't know if I've got the original packing, I'll have a look if it's important. Otherwise will be packed well for delivery). Pics -

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/TP1_zpsab95039c.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/TP2_zpsf5c08592.jpg

http://i562.photobucket.com/albums/ss68/Lodger56/TP3_zps0defb363.jpg

I didn't use it very much so asking £90 delivered? Thanks for looking.

Roy S
30-01-2015, 01:33
Bump

struth
30-01-2015, 11:34
Got one of these and they are very good. nicely made and can also be used as a high quality switch box if needed. i usex mine for a while switching 2 tts into one phono stage. you just turn the pot up full which bypasses it pretty much. the guy from tisbury gave me this nice tip

Roy S
02-02-2015, 09:29
http://www.planetcalypsoforum.com/gallery/files/1/8/4/6/4/bump5.jpg

Roy S
09-02-2015, 01:59
last bump before I keep it :)

Simon_LDT
09-02-2015, 09:06
May be interested in this. Will it allow me to connect 3 sources to a headphone amp with no degradation in sound? I've currently got my CD player hooked up to an asgard h/phone amp but would like to add a blu-ray player and also a DAC and switch between them (asgard only has 1 set if inputs). I don't need any volume so is it possible to disable that on this pre and just have my asgard do all the work volume wise? I wouldn't want 2 stages of volume boosting happening.

struth
09-02-2015, 09:20
If you turn the pot full on the tis becomes a switch box

Simon_LDT
09-02-2015, 09:55
If you turn the pot full on the tis becomes a switch box

How does that work then? Surely turning the volume all the way to max means it's boosting the signal?

struth
09-02-2015, 10:21
no it effectively takes the pot out of the circuit. the pot cannot boost any signal as the tisbury is passive. all the pot can do is attenuate signal. i used mine successfully as a switch box for 2 turntables for a while.

Roy S
09-02-2015, 10:33
I have no experience of using it like this so can't comment, thanks for your input Grant :)

struth
09-02-2015, 10:37
It was Tisbury that initially told me that it would work this way. I had asked them if they made a high quality switch box. it adds another use to an already excellent passive.

Simon_LDT
09-02-2015, 10:50
no it effectively takes the pot out of the circuit. the pot cannot boost any signal as the tisbury is passive. all the pot can do is attenuate signal. i used mine successfully as a switch box for 2 turntables for a while.

Maybe I'm confused somewhere. I was initially looking at a Schitt Sys, to match my asgard and when I asked the guys there they said something about using it in reverse and putting volume to max. I asked whether I should set it to 0 and they said it should be fine. I left it at that for now but after seeing this ad today I'm re-thinking about it.

I'm still not sure it'll do what I want though. I just need to be able to connect more than 1 source to my asgard, without altering the sound. I don't need any inputs to be active at the same time or anything (such as bi-amping). I won't ever have both CD player and DAC on at once. I just don't want to keep plugging/unplugging cables all the time when I switch source. I want the asgard to control the gain.

Please do excuse my ignorance, I'm still learning all the time and maybe I just don't get it just yet. If setting this Tisbury to max adds no volume (attenuates), then how are people using it as volume control?

Ali Tait
09-02-2015, 10:58
A passive pre does not add any gain, unlike an active pre. With this, having the volume pot fully on allows the full signal from the source to reaxh the amplifying device, turning down the volume knob allows less of the signal through, hence a lower volume. The output of modern sources is usually plenty enough to drive an amp to full output.

This will do exactly what you need.

Roy S
09-02-2015, 10:58
Simon, if you're willing to pick up postage costs you're welcome to try it in your application before committing to purchase :)

Simon_LDT
09-02-2015, 11:38
Thanks for the input everyone and apologies for taking over the thread.

Roy, that is a very generous offer indeed. I'd hate to be a cheeky sod here but wondering whether you'd come down in price a little more? A few hours ago I literally had no idea I'd be interested as I'd completely put off a purchase for a passive pre but then stumbled across your bumped thread! This is totally impulse at the moment (plus I've just be cleaned out buying new speakers!)

Roy S
15-03-2015, 23:56
Bump - still available

Roy S
24-03-2015, 01:09
Bump £80 delivered?

hughandella
03-04-2015, 15:14
Hi Roy

Is this still for sale ?
tks

chris

Roy S
03-04-2015, 16:32
Sorry Chris, agreed a price yesterday and have literally just received payment :(

Roy S
03-04-2015, 16:35
SOLD

hughandella
03-04-2015, 23:30
Sorry Chris, agreed a price yesterday and have literally just received payment :(

no worries --- am sure new buyer will like it, had one a while ago and wanted to try again ...... but no major disaster - tks