PDA

View Full Version : Help - Local ears needed (North East)

RichB
26-01-2015, 21:27
Need some local ears to drop by my place in the next few days to tell me whether I'm imagining a fault in my speakers.

I'm convinced i'm hearing a sort of crackly distortion on certain vocal tracks which to me anyway has just sort of appeared in the last few days. I've not been pushing them hard or anything like that but I think it's there and it's spoiling my fun, and perhaps driving me a bit potty.

Theres a coarseness and rough edge to what was previously pretty smooth overall. I've tried different amps and cables and it's still there I think so I reckon the mid driver in one of my RS5s has gone funny.

Mrs B swears I'm bonkers and can't hear it but I'd like a third, fourth or fifth opinion please.

I'lll provide tea, biscuits or beer if that's your thing. Tell me I'm not hearing things...

synsei
26-01-2015, 21:42
Rich, try taking the drivers out and rotate them through 180 degrees then re-install them. A long shot but I've known it to work in the past... ;)

walpurgis
26-01-2015, 21:51
I've known internal wadding to come loose and touch the back of a cone, causing the kind of noise you describe.

RichB
26-01-2015, 21:56
Rich, try taking the drivers out and rotate them through 180 degrees then re-install them. A long shot but I've known it to work in the past... ;)

They're still under warranty actually so I'm not doing that just yet...:lol:

337alant
27-01-2015, 22:01
Rich
I Can pop up and have a listen if you like ?
I can bring another pair of speakers up as well to see if it disappears ?
I will pm you my phone number

Alan

Floyddroid
28-01-2015, 12:34
al's yer man!

They're still under warranty actually so I'm not doing that just yet...:lol:

Audio Al
28-01-2015, 13:01
Distance is a issue

However if you need some extra ears
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RUBBER-LATEX-BIG-GIANT-GEEK-GOOFY-EARS-BFG-FANCY-DRESS-ACCESSORY-/261687443022?pt=Adult_Fancy_Dress_UK&hash=item3cedc97e4e

:D

dantheman91
28-01-2015, 14:27
Hi Rich

What source is this on CD Vinyl or File? Have you tried different interconnects , Speaker cables could be a duff one in that region possibly.

If their under warranty then take the back save you a lot of time in the mean time you could be looking for nothing it could be you.

Cheers
Dan

RichB
31-01-2015, 19:13
Many Thanks to Alant337 for lending me his ears this afternoon.

We've tried all configurations and different speakers and amps. The issue seems to the DAC making everything all tizzy and fuzzy.

It shouldn't be the case but instead of resolving it is confusing.

Now let the debate about the causes commence.

Ali Tait
31-01-2015, 19:25
Digi cable?

RichB
31-01-2015, 19:30
Digi cable?

Same issue with toslink and coax Ali.:scratch:

lurcher
31-01-2015, 19:53
I have seen DAC chips them self fail a couple of times. Normal troubleshooting is getting them to play a sine of triangle wave and look at the output with a scope and FFT. Doesnt help you, but just to say it can happen.

RichB
31-01-2015, 20:45
I have seen DAC chips them self fail a couple of times. Normal troubleshooting is getting them to play a sine of triangle wave and look at the output with a scope and FFT. Doesnt help you, but just to say it can happen.

Thats interesting Nick. Any ideas on what might cause them to fail and would this normally manifest itself in a muddled and tizzy sound.

337alant
31-01-2015, 23:14
Hi Rich,
Sorry I run out of time before we solved it completely but SWIMBO called we have three of the grand children staying tonight so she called for back up :D
Anyway back to the problem, there is something wrong with your DAC or interconnecting lead or digital source ?
Unplug all the leads from the Dac and switch off unplug for 10mins
Switch in and only plug in one reliable source suggest your SBT and the same analogue cable we used that sounded good to the amp
If that sounds the same as the SBT or good without distortion then the DAC is OK and you have a dodgy lead or source ?, maybe its your TV or the CD player

In any case looks like your speakers and amp are OK :eyebrows:

You could also bring your DAC to my house and try it there, if its knackered you could send it back to rega
I have at least 4 dacs at home so your welcome to borrow one for now

Alan

lurcher
01-02-2015, 10:31
Thats interesting Nick. Any ideas on what might cause them to fail and would this normally manifest itself in a muddled and tizzy sound.

Its probably not the same, the ones I have seen fail are all ladder dac's and I think one or more switches go, so you loose one or more bits of resolution.

RichB
07-02-2015, 11:51
In one simple move the problem seems to have disappeared...

Replaced the bridging connectors on the speakers with some better quality links made out of a bit of gale cable I have lying around.

Its not muddling up the music any more. Those pressed metal connectors really are awful. I should have pulled them out to start with.

struth
07-02-2015, 12:05
In one simple move the problem seems to have disappeared...

Replaced the bridging connectors on the speakers with some better quality links made out of a bit of gale cable I have lying around.

Its not muddling up the music any more. Those pressed metal connectors really are awful. I should have pulled them out to start with.

must have bee a poor connection. i dont much like them either but seem to be common now.

337alant
07-02-2015, 13:04
Good to hear Rich, Glad you have it sorted
I hate those plate links they are a cheap piece of brass normally gold plated, much better to make up some dedicated wire links or Bi Wire

Alan