PDA

View Full Version : Shure Thing

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 12:47
Ive always had a soft spot for late 60's/Early 70's Shure cartridges. I presently own 'M75', 'M91', 'M95ED', 'M95HE', 'V15/2', 'V15/3'

I always always come back to the 'M95HE'..Seems to be my fav for some reason. What i would like to try is a Mk.I 'V15'..

What's you fav 60's/70's Shure?

Macca
26-01-2015, 13:00
I quite like the M75 but never heard any of the 'V' models to my knowledge.

prestonchipfryer
26-01-2015, 13:10
In the late 60s/early 70s I ran M75 and M95 Shures and have to say, if my memory serves me well, that they sounded good. But I also used the Ortofon VMS 20 and 30 carts. If I had to chose it would be the M95. Wouldn't it be good if Shure still made the full range of cartridges.

matador
26-01-2015, 14:58
Shure M55E, amazing sound.

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 15:50
Ive actually got a '55E' in the drawer but it has never has a styli on it..

Barry
26-01-2015, 18:56
Although I started with the Shure M3D (a substitute for a B&O SP6, which was the cartridge I really wanted, but couldn't get), it was quickly replaced with the M55E. That was a significant improvement (to my ears) over the M3D, and stayed in my SME arm for a couple of years. (It was the cartridge used by SME in their advertisments in the late '60s.)

After a brief use of an M75E (or it might have been an M75ED), I bought my first V15, the Shure V15 Mk. II (Improved), which after three years was replaced with the V15 III.

At about the same time I obtained an Ortofon SL15E cartridge and later a Decca Mk V. It was these two cartridges which made me realise that Shure's obsession with' trackability' was not the 'be all' of cartridge design and in pursuing tackability, sound quality was suffering. Because of that, the V15 III was the last Shure I used. Possibly a mistake because the V15 IV design was a noticable improvement over the III and seemed to signal Shure's return to designing cartridges with good sound quality.

These days, I usually use moving coil cartridges, but there are a few fixed coil cartridges in my collection which I hold in high regard: Decca V and VI, ADC25 and 10E Mk.IV and the AKG P8ES.

(Oh, and I still have the M55E, kept out of nostalgia)

Barry
26-01-2015, 18:58

What is the colour of the body? If brown i would be interested in buying it off you - if you wan't to sell it André.

walpurgis
26-01-2015, 19:05
10E Mk.IV)

Yeah. I like those very much. I have two, they comfortably outperform many MCs.

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 20:09
What is the colour of the body? If brown i would be interested in buying it off you - if you wan't to sell it André.

Yes it's a dark chocolate Brown body, im gonna sit on it till a NOS Styli comes up or i might even just buy a Ed Saunders styli to try it out..

Mr Kipling
26-01-2015, 20:16

I've got a few ties in the wardrobe I've never worn.

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 20:18
Ive got a pack of Knickers that are too tight but i never mention them.. oops just did

DSJR
26-01-2015, 20:27
I'm very fond of my V15 T2, but the 'distant' treble gets to me after a while, especially on 70's pressings... My v15 III's have good diamonds on, but I really wish I'd bought an HE stylus for one of them, as it made such a huge musical improvement for whatever reason (can't 'just' have been the diamond, surely?).

The M55E is a great old timer, but I personally think the later Shures are better. Just my opinion though...

WHY can't Shure re-engineer some of the more popular styli? One of their ex-designers was going to have a go at small-scale production, but nothing ever seemed to come of it. Jico do a good job, but I don't think the fine details are the same and the SAS does change the V15 models it's fitted to, possibly for the better, but definitely not the same I'm informed by those who use(d) them.

Mr Kipling
26-01-2015, 20:37
Was the 91 any good? I have the body which came in an AR XB77.

walpurgis
26-01-2015, 20:55
Was the 91 any good? I have the body which came in an AR XB77.

The M91ED was my favourite Shure, alongside the M93ED. I thought they just sounded better than others I tried, including the V15 and V15II. Not used a Shure properly for over thirty years now. Still using sixties and early seventies ADCs though (they are in a rather different league).

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 20:57
Send it me im almost certain you wont want it :eyebrows:

Mr Kipling
26-01-2015, 21:08
Is the body not common to others with differences down to the stylus?

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 21:15
Yeh terrible innit :D You wannit or not? :lol:

Mr Kipling
26-01-2015, 21:22
Well, I do intend to get a stylus for it, just to hear what comes out.

DSJR
26-01-2015, 21:48
The 91-ED had superior fixing with the deeper stylus moulding I think. Not sure if the mechanicals themselves were any different, or selected, over the ever popular 75-ED, but I always *thought* the 91-ED sounded a little bit better back then. The 93E was a 75-EJ equivalent.

In some ways, the best 75 era body is that from the 75-6S, as it'll take so many styli which are related in every way except the plastic mouldings and I never found the simple fixing 'clip' a handicap.

BTH K10A
26-01-2015, 21:50
I have a mint Shure M33-7 in it's box along with quite a few M75's of various types that I found at a boot fair many years ago. I keep meaning to give the 33 a go but have never got around to it.

Specs looks to be very good for it's time http://comparevehiclespecs.com/catalogs/1963_phono.pdf

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 21:56
Well, I do intend to get a stylus for it, just to hear what comes out.

Ed Saunders styli for it is around £20

Mr Kipling
26-01-2015, 22:32
Ed Saunders?

Didn't he play the lead in an early American version of The Saint?

Found you can get a Jico one for £8 and a Nagaoka made one for £19.

Mr Kipling
26-01-2015, 22:36
The 91-ED had superior fixing with the deeper stylus moulding I think. Not sure if the mechanicals themselves were any different, or selected, over the ever popular 75-ED, but I always *thought* the 91-ED sounded a little bit better back then. The 93E was a 75-EJ equivalent.

In some ways, the best 75 era body is that from the 75-6S, as it'll take so many styli which are related in every way except the plastic mouldings and I never found the simple fixing 'clip' a handicap.

Thanks Dave. I like the information you're able to supply.

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 22:41
I have three Ed Saunders Styli, im very happy with all

http://www.edsaunders.com/

Mr Kipling
26-01-2015, 22:55
What about his Chicken Nuggets?

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 22:57
You been on da Sauce Steve?

:eyebrows:

DarrenHW
27-01-2015, 07:21
I have a M95HE, I was reading a thread on here where you said you preferred the it to the V15 and remembered I had one in the spares draw, gave it a go and instantly found it more musical than my AT440MLa, doesn't dig out as much detail though. I've since picked up a Hadcock as I've read they're supposed to have good synergy with Shure carts and idlers. I still haven't mounted the Hadock but will do so once I've finished the new plinth for the Garrard.

I wasn't aware of the Ed Saunders styli, I was going to order a Jico SAS, have you compared the Ed Saunders to the SAS?

Marco
27-01-2015, 07:24
What about his Chicken Nuggets?

I believe they’re functioning normally.

Marco.

The Barbarian
27-01-2015, 13:28
I have a M95HE, I was reading a thread on here where you said you preferred the it to the V15 and remembered I had one in the spares draw, gave it a go and instantly found it more musical than my AT440MLa, doesn't dig out as much detail though. I've since picked up a Hadcock as I've read they're supposed to have good synergy with Shure carts and idlers. I still haven't mounted the Hadock but will do so once I've finished the new plinth for the Garrard.

I wasn't aware of the Ed Saunders styli, I was going to order a Jico SAS, have you compared the Ed Saunders to the SAS?

The 'V15/III' i have i find a tad too bright on my system, why i use the '95HE'

Marco
27-01-2015, 13:41
I’ve also always generally liked Shure cartridges, as they tend to sound ‘right’, especially the best of the vintage ones. Some Pickerings (with original styli) can also be very good! :)

Marco.

The Barbarian
27-01-2015, 15:43
I’ve also always generally liked Shure cartridges, as they tend to sound ‘right’, especially the best of the vintage ones. Some Pickerings (with original styli) can also be very good! :)

Marco.

Tuther day i switched to a Stanton 681 Body with original Pickering 'D625E' Styli. im tempted to say i prefer this over the M95HE'..

walpurgis
27-01-2015, 15:55
I've been down the Pickering/Stanton route, but I'd sooner use an ADC. To me, they have an 'elegance' to the sound, that seems to escape other non MCs.

The Barbarian
27-01-2015, 16:13
Yeh those Block ADC were great..

400v on the anode
27-01-2015, 16:24
Well I've had a Shure M75Ed and 3 V15III's as well as an M97xE. I've also got 2 A&R E77's. I have heard many cartridges over the years but the only cartridge I've ever come back to is the V15III and as a second choice the M97xE although I have heard a V15V which I hanker after as it is certainly better than the V15III but as yet have not seen one for sale at a price I want to pay.

Mounted correctly in a good arm the Shure carts have on my system wiped the floor with all moving coil cartridges that I could afford and most I have heard.

The Ed Saunders stylus's are good but do not last as long as real Shure ones, I also have a Jico stylus in one of my V15III's at the moment, it sounds good on newer records but doesn't like some old 50's singles, I as yet can't comment on how long it will last but we will have to see.

Graham

The Barbarian
27-01-2015, 16:38
A Bit of info for you all since you guys love me boring you to death with such things.

When A&R Cambs were designing the 'A60' intergrated they used a Shure 'M95ED' as a reference..

Mr Kipling
27-01-2015, 18:36
Well I've had a Shure M75Ed and 3 V15III's as well as an M97xE. I've also got 2 A&R E77's. I have heard many cartridges over the years but the only cartridge I've ever come back to is the V15III and as a second choice the M97xE although I have heard a V15V which I hanker after as it is certainly better than the V15III but as yet have not seen one for sale at a price I want to pay.

Mounted correctly in a good arm the Shure carts have on my system wiped the floor with all moving coil cartridges that I could afford and most I have heard.

The Ed Saunders stylus's are good but do not last as long as real Shure ones, I also have a Jico stylus in one of my V15III's at the moment, it sounds good on newer records but doesn't like some old 50's singles, I as yet can't comment on how long it will last but we will have to see.

Graham

Just 400v on the anode? Couldn't you have stretched it to 600? Or lived dangerously and gone to say 1.2K?

400v on the anode
29-01-2015, 17:24
Just 400v on the anode? Couldn't you have stretched it to 600? Or lived dangerously and gone to say 1.2K?

Ah I am at this moment playing with a KT88 design Partly mine and partly copied with 550v on the anode and previously have built a KT88 (well actually 6550A's but it's close enough) with 600v on the anode and who knows when I can afford the transformers I might just try my luck at a big KT based amp with 1.2K but I will have to get the calculations right first time as the thought of sticking the meter prods in the amp whilst its switched on fills me with dread.

Graham

DSJR
29-01-2015, 17:49
A couple of things if I may?

The better Shures when correctly loaded are usually flat from bass to lower treble if not all the way to 10khz. Some people and systems don't like this very much it seems to me anyway, as the preferred cartridges (Andre's XV15/625 for instance) have a slightly falling treble I think. I love ADC's too, so musical and easy on the ear, but these can be just a little 'soft' as well (I'm currently running in a NOS ZLM stylus). Please chaps, bear in mind that so many LP's have a slightly boosted upper midrange and it *just may be possible* that some of the leaner-toned cartridges out there are actually, just possibly, giving you the unvarnished truth. Just a thought...

Before I get beaten over the head, I'd like to add that the VN35HE stylus transformed the V15 III into a gentler, more refined, but clearer beast with far better reproduction of venue reverb and 'atmosphere,' the stock original stylus definitely sounding a bit too 'clinical and almost 'hard toned'' in comparison - I don't know why, but IME the difference wasn't a subtle one. There were also MR versions for some older models but I have no experience with these.

I still have the V15VMR with snapped cantilever and live in hope that it can be repaired one day, which leads me on to ESCo. ESCo can graft a new diamond onto a good old cantilever, not just replace said cantilever completely with a 'posh' one (a K18 in good order can have a Paratrace diamond put on for well under £100 for example, where NWA were quoting hundreds for fancy cantilever 'upgrades' way outside of the K18's remit, but maybe highly desirable for a more exalted cartridge). ESCo like the Me97XE and apparently can supply a Paratrace version for £185 or thereabouts. This is something I'd love to try one day, as I like the beefier balance of the V15XMR, VSTV and 97 series (I think the bodies of these are all related, but not quite the same as the earlier V15V and Ultra series (I could be very wrong here, but the XMR and VMR are not compatible due to different sizes of the external shank which slides into the body).

The Barbarian
29-01-2015, 18:01
Dave:
Ive fought for years to get a totally smoothe system. I can't listern to bright top end, smoothe but detailed. My 'V15/III' is slightly too bright for me..I think i remember you saying the 'A60' Phono stage has a slightly rolled off top end to your lugholes? if it has to you that's what i like. Ill say it again as ive said before one of the best carts i have used was the Pickering 'XLZ-7500S' with PLZ head amp through the 'A60'

http://www.pickeringuk.com/XLZ7500.html

The amount of modern systems ive heard where the top end just shouts at you is unbelievable & that is what audio guys like! well no thanks to that Malarky..

Mr Kipling
29-01-2015, 18:11
Malarky? Malarky?

Can't beat s bit of shouty top-end to loosen the earwax.

The Barbarian
29-01-2015, 18:14
Yeh loosen & Fry at the same time.. Amazes me how people can confuse clarity with too bright

Mr Kipling
29-01-2015, 18:16
Ah I am at this moment playing with a KT88 design Partly mine and partly copied with 550v on the anode and previously have built a KT88 (well actually 6550A's but it's close enough) with 600v on the anode and who knows when I can afford the transformers I might just try my luck at a big KT based amp with 1.2K but I will have to get the calculations right first time as the thought of sticking the meter prods in the amp whilst its switched on fills me with dread.

Graham

Think I'd be a bit whimpy myself, if I'm being honest.

DSJR
29-01-2015, 18:18
Andr'e, I know exactly where you're coming from and that's why I posted what I did about the HE stylus, which seemed to 'tame' the V15 III and also improve definition and delicacy too. The A60 phono stage did roll the low bass off, as did many UK made lower cost amps I remember, but I think the top was ok - and the A60 was changed a couple of times in its long life. I got into severe trouble (attitude as well as opinion) for suggesting that speakers may also not be helping matters where harshness or over-etched 'detail' is concerned, but then, the speakers I'm currently using are a bit full-toned for many ;)

The Barbarian
29-01-2015, 18:27
To me the 'A60' phonostage is a delight to listern to.. I actually have two 'A60' a really early one with 2 Pin Din outputs & fully descrete Phonostage & one of the early examples that used IC's in the Phonostage {I bought i around 1983}, i swapped the standard NE5532' IC's for Analogue Devices IC's.. This amp thru the Castles {Paper cones/Soft Dome tweeterz} sounds wonderful..Not a single hint of glare..

DarrenHW
29-01-2015, 18:31
Tuther day i switched to a Stanton 681 Body with original Pickering 'D625E' Styli. im tempted to say i prefer this over the M95HE'..

I have a Stanton 680 MKII, which if it weren't for Marco's encouragement I wouldn't even have bothered with, it came attached to a DJ TT pulled out of a skip and has a Stanton 5100 AL-11 stylus which has been modded (by that I mean it's had a chunk chopped out of it) to fit. I loved the bass but hated the sibilance, could this be rectified with a new stylus? If so any recommendations for a replacement stylus, KAB have one (https://www.kabusa.com/frameset.htm?/) and there are quite a few Jico offerings (http://stylus.export-japan.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=stanton+680&x=8&y=11) as I'd really like to mount this on the RB300.

The Barbarian
29-01-2015, 18:37
Contact Vickers in York the Pickering Styli are original Styli

http://www.vickers-hifi.co.uk/

DarrenHW
29-01-2015, 18:49
Contact Vickers in York the Pickering Styli are original Styli

http://www.vickers-hifi.co.uk/

Cheers Babs!

400v on the anode
30-01-2015, 12:58
Think I'd be a bit whimpy myself, if I'm being honest.

Had a belt from the 600v amp between the smoothing caps and that hurt so I don't want to do it again at my tender age thank you:lol:

Graham