PDA

View Full Version : Ortofon Cadanza Bronze

Tarzan
25-01-2015, 20:52
Any AOS people own/ heard this cartridge, can you share your thoughts please ( or indeed compared it to any other cartridges in around its price range?):)

Clive197
26-01-2015, 00:33
I ran a Bronze for 15 months prior to getting my black. Only changed it because I was made an offer I could not refuse.

First in a Linn Ittok LVIII...sounded great but I always thought it could give more. Sold the Linn and that's when I got my Technics SL1210M5G with Origin Live Silver arm. Phono stage was a Dino/Dino+. Surprisingly that took the sound a huge step upwards. Warm overall tone with ouddles of detail. The Rega Aria arrived early in 2014 and certainly took the sound to the next level, still warm but a little more transparency. Then along came the OL Encounter, MN Bearing and of course the Black which is where we are today.

walpurgis
26-01-2015, 00:43
The Ittok actually works OK with most Ortofon MCs, but it's not an arm I like (it sounds horrible with quite a few carts). I'm not surprised you have arrived where you are now. Bet it sounds pretty damn decent.

Tarzan
31-01-2015, 12:46
Any body else, my finger is hovering over the Buy it now button- and l like to spend my dough wisely.:lol:

hifi_dave
03-02-2015, 11:58
Have you considered the Lyra Delos ?

Tarzan
03-02-2015, 18:49
Have you considered the Lyra Delos ?

No, had a Helikon before and it was a tad toppy and that exposed cantilever shares the B'Jesus out of me.

oceanobsession
04-02-2015, 18:53
I have a cadenza bronze bought it new , very natural with body and warmth and not at all toppy, but it don't suit the speakers I have now , its all about what your using it with.

Tarzan
05-02-2015, 10:38
Ordered!:D:sofa:

Clive197
05-02-2015, 11:01
Welcome to the CADENZA Club. :grouphug:NOW WHAT?

Audio Al
05-02-2015, 11:42
[QUOTE]and l like to spend my dough wisely ( In the PUB ) /QUOTE]

Corrected :D

Tarzan
05-02-2015, 11:50
Yes, you get a decent conversation in the pub ( edit; talk garbage :cool:)

Just hope l have made the right decision Mr Allen.

Tarzan
05-02-2015, 12:33
Welcome to the CADENZA Club. :grouphug:NOW WHAT?

Panic that is what! Dealer has just phoned to me Ortofon will not be supplying the Bronze for quite a while as they are having difficulty with materials for it:(

However he has offered me a good deal on the Cadanza Black or Red............

Marco
05-02-2015, 12:41
Remember, dude, that the Bronze has a very different sonic signature to any of the other cartridges in the Cadenza range, due to its conical aluminium cantilever. You thought stylus profiles/tips made a difference? Try messing around with cantilevers, and you'll discover that they influence the sound way more than ANY stylus profile does!

Therefore, if you want to retain some of what you like about the DL-103, but improve on its sonic deficiencies, as good as the Black is (for example), only the Bronze will deliver what you're looking for, so my advice would be to wait until you can obtain one, or use a different dealer with a Bronze in stock :)

Marco.

Wakefield Turntables
05-02-2015, 13:09
Panic that is what! Dealer has just phoned to me Ortofon will not be supplying the Bronze for quite a while as they are having difficulty with materials for it:(

However he has offered me a good deal on the Cadanza Black or Red............

Get the BLACK.....

Marco
05-02-2015, 13:13
....only if you want it to sound nothing like a DL-103 (and what you like about that).

Marco.

Tarzan
05-02-2015, 13:20
....only if you want it to sound nothing like a DL-103 (and what you like about that).

Marco.

Marco maybe correct, l wanted the Bronze for its full and smooth sound, l am led to believe that the Black is more neutral in sound and also a consideration my system may not be up to the task of getting the best out of the black......

RobbieGong
05-02-2015, 13:22
Remember, dude, that the Bronze has a very different sonic signature to any of the other cartridges in the Cadenza range, due to its conical aluminium cantilever. You thought stylus profiles/tips made a difference? Try messing around with cantilevers, and you'll discover that they influence the sound way more than ANY stylus profile does!

Therefore, if you want to retain some of what you like about the DL-103, but improve on its sonic deficiencies, as good as the Black is (for example), only the Bronze will deliver what you're looking for, so my advice would be to wait until you can obtain one, or use a different dealer with a Bronze in stock :)

Marco.

Nicely put Marco. The Black is great, very detailed, very neutral and accurate from what I've read and heard. So yes, the presentation of the bronze might actually suit the op, the music he plays and the sound he likes more. It's one of the aspects of this game I love - knowing the sound you like. ;)

Marco
05-02-2015, 13:25
Don't get me wrong, the Black is a superb cartridge (albeit a very modern sounding one), especially if out-and-out resolution is what you're looking for. It's almost the perfect analytical tool. However, a balls-out, 'boogie on down bastard', funky-assed mellifluous music-maker, a la 103, it is not.

The Bronze is a different matter, and that's simply because of how it's been 'voiced' with the use of a different cantilever. Honestly, I'm giving you good advice, based on what I think you'll like and work best in your system, rather than what might work best in someone else's :)

Be patient, dude, and hang out for a Bronze. You'll thank me for it one day! ;)

Marco.

Marco
05-02-2015, 13:29
Nicely put Marco. The Black is great, very detailed, very neutral and accurate from what I've read and heard. So yes, for others the presentation of the bronze might actually suit them and the music they play in a way they prefer. It's one of the aspects of this game I love - knowing or getting to know the sound you like...

Indeed. Sometimes one can have too much of a good thing, in terms of 'detail and accuracy', and thus sacrifice on musicality: that special 'something' which draws you in/connects you, and makes you want to listen to music for hours. It's a difficult thing to get right, or sometimes even realise you've got it, until it's gone.... ;)

Marco.

RobbieGong
05-02-2015, 13:34
Indeed. Sometimes one can have too much of a good thing, in terms of 'detail and accuracy', and thus sacrifice on musicality: that special 'something' which draws you in/connects you, and makes you want to listen to music for hours. It's a difficult thing to get right, or sometimes even realise you've got it, until it's gone.... ;)

Marco.

Er and I'm being totally serious, you describe exactly what the 2M Black does for me, but obviously where talking about a different Black here :)

Marco
05-02-2015, 13:36
In that case, enjoy, and don't be tempted to fiddle, unless the fiddling is liable to fix something genuine that needed fixing in the first place! ;)

Marco.

RobbieGong
05-02-2015, 13:48
In that case, enjoy, and don't be tempted to fiddle, unless the fiddling is liable to fix something genuine that needed fixing in the first place! ;)

Marco.

Wise words Marco but as you know in this game..... I probably wont rest until I bag a big Sony ES integrated ie Sony taf 808 es and a pair of Spendor S8e's- thats my hope anyway :) With regards the Cadenza Bronze, I've only read good things, it's a top quality cart.

Clive197
05-02-2015, 13:49
Marco maybe correct, l wanted the Bronze for its full and smooth sound, l am led to believe that the Black is more neutral in sound and also a consideration my system may not be up to the task of getting the best out of the black......

Andy in your case I would agree with Marco (for g.ds sake don't tell him).

Try a different dealer or I have seen one on the bay for £850 with only 20hrs use on it (sic). Might be worth a punt as it seems to be a dealer, the listing even gives a phone no. 01304 239419 Emporium hifi Kent Branch

Clive

Marco
05-02-2015, 13:53
Wise words Marco but as you know in this game..... I probably wont rest until I bag a big Sony ES integrated ie Sony taf 808 es and a pair of Spendor S8e's- thats my hope anyway :)

Is that what you're working towards, dude? Sounds good (I like most of the Sony ES range of kit, as it often sounds superlative - it's certainly always built that way). Anyway, I hope it all hits the spot when you get there! :)

Marco.

Marco
05-02-2015, 13:56

Lol......

Try a different dealer or I have seen one on the bay for £850 with only 20hrs use on it (sic). Might be worth a punt as it seems to be a dealer, the listing even gives a phone no. 01304 239419 Emporium hifi Kent Branch

In that case, I'd happily pile in there, as they're good guys (I know from personal experience), so the cart is liable to be minty :)

Marco.

Tarzan
05-02-2015, 14:07

Clive

Thanks for posting the link Clive but l really wanted to buy new ( cartridges anyway) just been on the ear trumpet to Ortofon UK and it looks like it could be the end of the road for the Bronze......, he then went on to say the Cadanza Blue would be nearer The Bronze in tonal balance which came as a bit of a surprise and the Black being "a cartridge for musicians" god knows what that meant.:lol:

hifi_dave
05-02-2015, 14:18
I like the Blue, as it has more life and attack without being harsh.

I always have a Red and Blue on demo, as I prefer their balance.

Marco
05-02-2015, 14:23
Thanks for posting the link Clive but l really wanted to buy new ( cartridges anyway) just been on the ear trumpet to Ortofon UK and it looks like it could be the end of the road for the Bronze......

Bloody typical! Anything interesting and remotely different from 'the norm' (or what a manufacturer decides it wants to promote) gets sidelined... :rolleyes:

However, someone *somewhere* must have one, lying in a box, as up until now it's been part of Ortofon's current MC line-up. I'd do some intense poking around the 'net, if I were you, Andy. Chances are, if you're diligent enough, you find what you're looking for.

Also, don't rule out buying the Bronze that The Emporium are selling. It'll most likely have only been out of the box once, perhaps to play two sides of a record, and so have had absolute minimal use. As it's a dealer, the cartridge will also likely come with a small guarantee (usually 3 months), so you can't really go wrong.

Hey, I've just bought a cartridge that's six years older than me (a 1959 vintage SPU) - and it plays perfectly and sounds utterly wonderful, so I wouldn't worry about your situation! :)

Marco.

Marco
05-02-2015, 14:26

Fair enough, Dave. However, any Bronze I've heard has never lacked 'life'... Far from it. As you know all too well in this game, context is everything! ;)

Marco.

Clive197
05-02-2015, 14:42
Bloody typical! Anything interesting and remotely different from 'the norm' (or what a manufacturer decides it wants to promote) gets sidelined... :rolleyes:

However, someone *somewhere* must have one, lying in a box, as up until now it's been part of Ortofon's current MC line-up. I'd do some intense poking around the 'net, if I were you, Andy. Chances are, if you're diligent enough, you find what you're looking for.

Also, don't rule out buying the Bronze that The Emporium are selling. It'll most likely have only been out of the box once, perhaps to play two sides of a record, and so have had absolute minimal use. As it's a dealer, the cartridge will also likely come with a small guarantee (usually 3 months), so you can't really go wrong.

Hey, I've just bought a cartridge that's six years older than me (a 1959 vintage SPU) - and it plays perfectly and sounds utterly wonderful, so I wouldn't worry about your situation! :)

Marco.

Andy I absolutly agree (oh my god that's the third time today). You have already decided that this is the cartridge you want, why, oh why are you faffing about now, you've already warmed up the ear trumpet so get dialling.

krugdoktor
05-02-2015, 15:19
You can try Athens Pro Audio
http://www.athensproaudio.gr/en/ortofon-cadenza-bronze.html
I bought my SPU from them, fast delivery and great price!

Marco
05-02-2015, 15:38
Get yer credit card out, Andy.... ;)

Marco.

Tarzan
06-02-2015, 11:00
Get yer credit card out, Andy.... ;)

Marco.

Right thought about it, not going to buy second hand or from overseas ( that just me but thanks for the links chaps), so a toss up between Cadanza Black or Cadanza Red, my system is already a warm sounding one so leaning towards the Black............:mental:

Wakefield Turntables
06-02-2015, 20:07
Go on, come to the dark side... :mad:

SquireC
07-02-2015, 12:28
I use a Blue in a PU7 arm and it sounds superb. I intend to move to a Black (probably) when the Blue has died.
The Cadenzas do sound different so Marco's advice may be spot on.

oceanobsession
07-02-2015, 13:44
Its a shame that you cant find a cadenza bronze its a great sounding cartridge ive just remounted mine in a technoarm that has had AO treatment rewire and
bearings, and it sounds great , why don't you consider the shelter 5000. phil.

Tarzan
08-02-2015, 08:06
Cadanza Black ordered.:D

What could possibly go wrong?.:D

RobbieGong
08-02-2015, 09:21

Nice one Andy, wish that was me :)

Clive197
08-02-2015, 09:42

I don't think you will be disappointed. Please keep us 'All Blacks' in the loop.

Tarzan
08-02-2015, 09:43
I don't think you will be disappointed. Please keep us 'All Blacks' in the loop.

Will do mate.

Wakefield Turntables
08-02-2015, 11:58
Andy,

You will have very very good synergy with the V and the Black

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?9568-Me-and-the-1210-are-gunna-have-us-some-me-time/page24&highlight=1210+GONNA

Have a look at post 232, thats my deck. :eyebrows:

You'll now have a deck, arm, cart which will instantly show up poor vinyl recordings.

Enjoy and hope you enjoy. Keep me updated.

Tarzan
08-02-2015, 12:21
Andy,

You will have very very good synergy with the V and the Black

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?9568-Me-and-the-1210-are-gunna-have-us-some-me-time/page24&highlight=1210+GONNA

Have a look at post 232, thats my deck. :eyebrows:

You'll now have a deck, arm, cart which will instantly show up poor vinyl recordings.

Enjoy and hope you enjoy. Keep me updated.

:doh: Oh great that definitely not what l wanted.......:lol:

Marco
08-02-2015, 13:44
You should've gone for the Bronze, double-daftee... Don't have a scooby-doo why you won't buy from abroad. I've done it umpteen times with no issues whatsoever.

You worry too much! ;)

Marco.

Tarzan
08-02-2015, 17:24
You should've gone for the Bronze, double-daftee... Don't have a scooby-doo why you won't buy from abroad. I've done it umpteen times with no issues whatsoever.

You worry too much! ;)

Marco.

Yes l do.:lol: