PDA

View Full Version : Rogers JR149

hermit
25-01-2015, 19:40
I was lucky enough to pick up a pair of Rogers JR149s with matching wall brackets on Gumtree today. I bought them from the first owner. They're red label and logo, without grilles and totally original. The tops have one or two scrapes and minor dings but only around the circumference. Otherwise they have a lovely patina and the top surface itself is virtually unmarked. I'll post some daylight pics tomorrow. I've rewired them with basic multi strand copper speaker cable terminated with Fisual banana plugs.

So now I'm wondering what to do with them. I've always wanted to try a pair. I'm tempted just to enjoy them as they are for a month or two and then sell them on. Is it safe to assume that they would need a recap to give of their best? I had the IMFs professionally recapped with a Falcon Acoustics kit and was delighted with the outcome. Would the JR149s need a pro to recap them or do they have diy possibilities? My main concern is losing the costs of a professional recap when it came to selling them on. I also wonder if potential buyers would value their originality and prefer to do the work themselves. That is my dilemma. It would be a shame not to hear them at their best during their sojourn at mine but I don't want to devalue them or lose any money I put into recapping them. What do people think is the best way forward with regard to recapping?

With regard to the slight scuffs to the circumference of the tops, I was thinking of giving the tops a polish with walnut coloured Briwax - no sanding. Is that safe enough? I'm no woodwork expert and keen not to damage the existing patina. Again, is this something best left to the next owner?

Thanks in advance.

Wakefield Turntables
25-01-2015, 21:46
ahhh memory lane have a look at this

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?32294-JR149-Restoration-Thread&highlight=JR149

Keep the 149's they are a great pair of speakers.

hermit
26-01-2015, 11:56
ahhh memory lane have a look at this

http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?32294-JR149-Restoration-Thread&highlight=JR149

Keep the 149's they are a great pair of speakers.

Interesting thread. Thanks. You did a great job. I am a little bit concerned that you found it difficult removing the crossover board.

Here's a couple of pics of the tops:

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p753/neradi/For%20sale/2015-01-26101208_zps00d9e75e.jpg

http://i1349.photobucket.com/albums/p753/neradi/For%20sale/2015-01-26101249_zpsa797c9be.jpg

Does anyone know if these were originally oiled or varnished? I am concerned that if they were varnished that wax might not be the thing to use. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Wakefield Turntables
26-01-2015, 12:27
Wd40 works a treat for the xo!

Valvebloke
26-01-2015, 12:55
Rexton's mentioned this in his earlier thread, but just as a reminder some versions of the JR149 have a plug and socket which connects the drivers to the crossover. The contacts in this can become unreliable with time. If you find that one or other driver is intermittent or silent then take the base cover off and check the plug and socket first.

VB

The Barbarian
26-01-2015, 13:04
Does anyone know if these were originally oiled or varnished? I am concerned that if they were varnished that wax might not be the thing to use. Any advice gratefully received. Thanks.

Just you usual Lacquer type finish like most speakers were back then. What you don't see many of is the posh ones with the embossed leather inset

hermit
27-01-2015, 21:55
I've been enjoying listening to these little speakers over the last few days. I think they were in storage for a long time. They sounded quite shut in at first but have opened up nicely. They image really well and I'm starting to hear what the fuss is about. I still feel that they need a recap and have opted to bite the bullet and pay a pro to do it for me. These speakers are too original for me to learn on.

Thanks to the amazing generosity of a gent on another forum, I hope to be getting a JR Super Woofer and LPA amp in a few weeks time when he visits the frozen north. The LPA has been professionally re-capped but the bass driver needs a refoam which I am happy to tackle myself. It will be very interesting to see if the 149s and sub can give the IMFs a run for their money. Exciting times ahead. Either way, it will be fun to run both sets of speakers for a while. Since my amp has three sets of speaker inputs, it seems churlish not to use at least two of them:)