PDA

View Full Version : Laptop Bluetooth AptX Transmiiter -> AptX Receiver -> Receiver Async USB To DAC

User211
20-01-2015, 14:15
What is says in the title.

Has anyone found a solution for this? I'm fed up dangling a USB cable that is close to USB 2.0 5m spec limits from laptop to DAC. I would like a wireless solution that works and aptx seems like a good 'un.

So I am expecting something like a laptop bluetooth apx transmiiter USB dongle to a (low latency?) aptx receiver close to the DAC which has an async USB output connection to my DAC's Amanero async USB card.

The h/w laptop dongle seems necessary as the aptx protocol spec is NOT publically available so there is no s/w implementation. You can pick one up for a tenner. So really the question is from the million and one devices listed here (http://www.aptx.com/category/receivers-transmitters) has anyone found one that does just the aforementioned and nothing else, that works well??? Repeat there is NO requirement for a DAC in the receiver. Just aptx-> aync USB conversion and nowt else.

I'm not interested in any other streaming solutions please just the solution to this particular problem.

Note I have a Sound Blaster E5 headphone amp that can do aptx -> optical output but that is used elsewhere, is too expensive a solution and besides the DAC having 3 digital input interfaces I specifically want to use the async USB interface.

User211
20-01-2015, 20:18
OK I think the answer is almost definitely there is nothing that satisfies my reciever requirements.

I found some time to do a serious search. Let this one drop. Sorry for wasting a part of your life:D

dave2010
03-02-2015, 11:40
OK I think the answer is almost definitely there is nothing that satisfies my reciever requirements.

I found some time to do a serious search. Let this one drop. Sorry for wasting a part of your life:DNo - don't apologise. I don't think too many people know much about Bluetooth and aptX, and I didn't know much until recently - http://www.aptx.com/

I thought I did know a little about Bluetooth, but then I found I didn't. The Wikipedia page seems helpful - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth
Basic Bluetooth doesn't seem to offer much for quality audio - v1/v2, while v3/v4 seem to require some form of "colocated 802.11" network.

Presumably the main reason for aptX is the low latency, which could be useful for live broadcasters, and is of relatively little interest to most of the rest of us.
There may be professional equipment which uses aptX - as it says on the aptX web site, and perhaps that will inevitably be more expensive as you seem to have found.

A few writers have suggested using Bluetooth to link up equipment, but my feeling is that without ensuring that the "correct" forms of Bluetooth are used, that a lot of equipment which purports to support Bluetooth may in fact only support older, rather basic, "standards", and thus deliver poor quality for audio/video. Bluetooth is a muti-variant "standard", as far as I can see.

I was interested to read about the lossless form of aptX. I haven't investigated enough further to know whether there are any easily obtainable software codecs - for encoding or replay. I'm guessing that there'd be licensing fees, so not really available for the likes of many of us round here.

StanleyB
03-02-2015, 12:36
I have been using a Bluetooth receiver for some time with my Caiman and even recommended it to Steve (Worrasf), who ended up using one as well. No issues with sound quality at my end.