PDA

View Full Version : HMV overtakes Amazon as Britain's biggest seller of physical music

Eagle owl
20-01-2015, 12:33
http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/82325

Spectral Morn
20-01-2015, 13:08
http://www.nme.com/news/various-artists/82325

I find that somewhat hard to believe. HMV where I live is way too expensive now to buy from, all the great deals they once did no longer on offer with basic prices for CDs, DVD/Blu Ray way dearer than elsewhere. Vinyl too is very expensive and in my own locality it never seems like any sells. On the other hand Head is a different story, real buzz in the shop, lots of keenly priced items and their vinyl prices are cheaper than HMV. Pink Floyds new album DVD special £26 in HMV Blu Ray £28 Head was £23 for both options.

In general HMVs stock is much poorer than it used to be, at least it is in the Belfast shop.

Regards Neil

awkwardbydesign
20-01-2015, 13:33
It certainly doesn't apply to classical, jazz, world, etc.

prestonchipfryer
20-01-2015, 13:34
There are three HMV shops within 35 miles of where I live and none sell vinyl!

orbscure
20-01-2015, 13:37
We've got a fairly decent three floor HMV in Croydon and there isn't much it doesn't stock. Despite the high costs, it was packed with punters over Christmas so I guess that not everyone has access to Amazon. Some of their three CDs for £10 deals were well worth grabbing and the Pink Floyd reissues were good value too...

Pete The Cat
08-02-2015, 20:54
One thing I notice about HMV's records (and new records in general these days, come to think of it). Compared to the old days the sleeves are in far better condition. It's not just that the corners don't seem as bent as they used to be but the spines seem far more likely to be straight and legible. Maybe it's because they don't get as much traffic leafing through them in the racks nowadays, or that they're all factory shrinkwrapped so there's less messing with them at the retailer. Oxford Street has a decent and seemingly growing selection.

Pete

struth
08-02-2015, 21:06
I'd have to travel to either Edinburgh or Glasgow for the privilege of walking through crowds and queuing up etc. Online is more civilised for the likes of me. Probably a bigger selection of my type of music too. Juno records are one of my favourites