PDA

View Full Version : A little wee visit.

Firebottle
18-01-2015, 16:41
As I was in the area :scratch: it seemed rude not to visit the venerable Ali Tait. If fact it was prearranged and I had been looking forward to it.
As there is a certain 'group' reference to the Scottish gentlemen on this here illustrious forum I thought I'd better go 'mob handed', so it was Alan's mob that was quickly assembled with a friend of mine called ............................ Alan. How fitting, plus he provided the transport and the local road knowledge.
A very warm welcome was forthcoming from Ali and family, including an invitation to partake of an excellent curry for lunch, yumee :drool:

Well it was a very impressive sight that greeted us when we entered the lounge, I won't go into detail but it was very evident that here was a seriously committed audiophile :thumbsup:

I'd brought up a couple of OTL amps and the smaller one got plugged in first. Ali's set up is bi-amped so it was only serving the 200Hz up segment.
A couple of very enjoyable firsts were ticked off for me, firstly hearing a very well sorted idler drive TT with a suitable quality MC fitted, plus some impressive OB speakers.

The vinyl that really did it for us was Hugh Masekala – Hope

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_400/MI0001/841/MI0001841265.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

This was a live recording on a 45 rmp disc, and boy was it stunning :wow:

As usual we talked a bit of the usual audio bo***cks and listened to some other excellent tracks, plus Adele on Ali's recent R to R acquisition, all excellent.

'twas a very enjoyable day in excellent company, thanks Ali :yesbruv:

Only one downside was I was expecting to meet Gazjam as well but he has to cry off.

:cool: Alan

jollyfix
18-01-2015, 17:24
Glad you both had a great time, I have to say top bloke that Ali.

Gazjam
18-01-2015, 17:48
Sounds like you guys had a good day, great stuff.
Sorry I couldn't make it Alan, had an unexpected family emergency.

Was looking forward to meeting you, next time!

Ali Tait
18-01-2015, 18:02
Aye, a good day. Good to meet face to face finally Alan, and to meet the other Alan.

The OTL's were an interesting listen, a nice spacious sound with great imaging. Be good to hear them full range so I can hear what the bass is like.

I think Alan enjoyed the OB's, commenting that cone speakers shouldn't sound this good. :-)

Alan has left his OTL amp with me, so if anyone is interested in hearing it, give me a shout. I'll bring it to you if you're not too far away, if you want to hear it in your own system.

struth
18-01-2015, 18:27
Aye, a good day. Good to meet face to face finally Alan, and to meet the other Alan.

The OTL's were an interesting listen, a nice spacious sound with great imaging. Be good to hear them full range so I can hear what the bass is like.

I think Alan enjoyed the OB's, commenting that cone speakers shouldn't sound this good. :-)

Alan has left his OTL amp with me, so if anyone is interested in hearing it, give me a shout. I'll bring it to you if you're not too far away, if you want to hear it in your own system.

Don't tempt me :lol:
Sounds like a good day all round....

PS what are the ob speakers?

Ali Tait
18-01-2015, 18:43
Open Baffle.

struth
18-01-2015, 18:55
Open Baffle.

ah, with you now...my memory aint what it was :eyebrows: a dipole.:)

RichB
18-01-2015, 19:04
Glad you both had a great time, I have to say top bloke that Ali.

+1

Sounds like a nice day.

Marco
18-01-2015, 22:03
What I want to know is if a ‘little wee visit’ is wee-er than a ‘wee little visit’, or is a ‘teeny-weeny little wee visit’, the wee-est of all?

:hmm: :hmm:

Marco.

struth
18-01-2015, 22:05
What I want to know is if a ‘little wee visit’ is wee-er than a ‘wee little visit’, or is a ‘teeny-weeny little wee visit’, the wee-est of all?

Marco.

Your wee wee-ing all over the place mate.....:eyebrows:

Andrei
18-01-2015, 22:22

Marco.
In the first you are permitted to use the bathroom