PDA

View Full Version : Linn Basik LV V - lost cause?

abbot
17-01-2015, 19:56
Is it possible to get any kind of decent SQ from this arm? It was mounted on my Heybrook TT2 when delivered, with a Goldring 910IGC. No matter how I tried, I failed to enjoy it and both arm and cartridge ended up in a cupboard. I am about to restore another TT and am looking for a simple but decent arm/pu. What is your say? I have an unused Sugden SAU-2 too. Main use of this TT will be experimenting with different motors. I want to enjoy music too, though.

The Barbarian
17-01-2015, 19:58
you selling the goldring?

karma67
17-01-2015, 20:00
i had one fitted to my revolver turntable and thought it sounded good,im no expert though,i now have a basik plus which i also like.

walpurgis
17-01-2015, 20:10
If you have an SAU2, I'd suggest selling it on. They are not a good arm. The diagonal gimbal bearings cause the arm (and therefore headshell) to tilt from one side to the other as the arm traverses the record. That's a no no! It means that if you get the cartridge vertical in one position, it will not be vertical in other positions, totally cocking up the azimuth.

The LVV on the other hand is a decent enough sounding and well made arm. Ideal for use with non exotic moving coil cartridges. Especially if you fit a rigid cast headshell. It should work fine with the TT2. The Goldring cartridge is probably too compliant to suit the LVV properly. That's your problem I reckon.

Bung a Denon DL-110 in it and you'll come out a winner! :)

abbot
17-01-2015, 21:56
you selling the goldring?

Thank you for your interest. I would never sell a Goldring 9xxIGC. I never wear my wedding ring. Suppose you ain't interested in that kind of gold ring?

I have never come around to try the 910 in my Moerch UP-4 ( has been on my to-do list for ages) since the 900IGC has been performing so well. I have been reluctant to touch it. Unfortunately it now is like myself - not much left.

BTW; do you have a fresh Goldring D140IGC to sell ? No harm asking...

abbot
17-01-2015, 22:00
i had one fitted to my revolver turntable and thought it sounded good,im no expert though,i now have a basik plus which i also like.

I'm no expert either. My experience was probably the result of bad arm/pu matching...or so I hope. Thank you for responding.

The Barbarian
17-01-2015, 22:02
Thank you for your interest. I would never sell a Goldring 9xxIGC. I never wear my wedding ring. Suppose you ain't interested in that kind of gold ring?

I have never come around to try the 910 in my Moerch UP-4 ( has been on my to-do list for ages) since the 900IGC has been performing so well. I have been reluctant to touch it. Unfortunately it now is like myself - not much left.

BTW; do you have a fresh Goldring D140IGC to sell ? No harm asking...

O i already have the Goldring just was looking for another as a spare. I have one NOS Styli for it till another crops up.

abbot
17-01-2015, 22:15
If you have an SAU2, I'd suggest selling it on. They are not a good arm. The diagonal gimbal hearings cause the arm (and therefore headshell) to tilt from one side to the other as the arm traverses the record. That's a no no! It means that if you get the cartridge vertical in one position, it will not be vertical in other positions, totally cocking up the azimuth.

The LVV on the other hand is a decent enough sounding and well made arm. Ideal for use with non exotic moving coil cartridges. Especially if you fit a rigid cast headshell. It should work fine with the TT2. The Goldring cartridge is probably too compliant to suit the LVV properly. That's your problem I reckon.

Bung a Denon DL-110 in it and you'll come out a winner! :)

I know the SAU2 is supposed to be a 'bad' arm. I was pondering fitting two arms to be able to find out just how bad it is. I'm curious regarding the design. AFAIK, nobody else has produced anything like it. I once heard a DECCA London in a crude DIY arm playing music in spite of technical shortcomings. I expected nothing but listened to it just to be polite. I will never forget it. (He was never able to replicate that arm).

You tell me just what I want to hear. I will probably give the LV V another chance. (I have never listened to DL-110 but will remember you advice).

walpurgis
18-01-2015, 11:14
Seriously, the SAU2 is not worth spending time on. It's a flawed design. Just about ANY other arm is a better option.

DSJR
18-01-2015, 13:43
The SAU2 used 45 degree pivots in an attempt to aid frictionless bias correction. The problem is that the arm pivots weren't really good enough for this idea to work properly. A rather resonant headshell doesn't help with modern cartridges either and you ended up with cartridges like a Shure M75-EJ tracking at 2g or more to get the thing to work properly.

The LVV with original headshell - and non-rattly bearings - could be a very good arm indeed, working best with the likes of the (family roots)Rega R100, A&R C/E/P77 and probably with the directly descended (same body?) Sumiko Pearl, all of these featuring a more 'traditional' tonal balance than the lean-toned (in comparison) Goldring you love. The flexible supplied headshell was perfect for this arm and in fact, this arm resonated more with a solid shell such as the popular ADC magnesium one IME.

My recommendation would be to look for a Linn-compatible tonearm alternative. I don't know if a Jelco will do this (or does it need the Rega arm hole?). There are people here who know the TT2 backwards (one poster here even made them I believe) and may have sources of arm boards. With the cast sub-chassis, this deck is really seriously good IMO and well worth a tonearm upgrade, the Rega arms also sounding good on it (an R200 would be perfect for you if you can find a good one with intact bias belt, as these latter crumble).

struth
18-01-2015, 13:53
i just bought a goody r200 with origami wiring so they are out there. i may be selling it shortly actually