PDA

View Full Version : Buying Used Records Mail Order

The Barbarian
15-01-2015, 14:07
Im getting to the realisation that buying used records through mail order is guarenteed to end up in tears. It's getting more & more a happening thing that seller under graded used records & in most cases blatantly lie to you. When you reply to them all they do is either get nasty or claim you caused the issues asking you to send them back that occurs more cost.

As an example i recieved two 12" singles this morning i paid £12.00 + post for, 12" singles go for around £4, i paid it on the assumption they were mint. i asked the seller the below questions when i generally buy 12"" singles

Any marks or scratches at all on the records?
Any dirty Labels, any writing, any stickers on the labels?
is this a white label/Promo?
I take it the sleeve is as graded?

These came with a total of three 1" scratches, the records have been wiped over with a damp cloth, when a record comes out of a cold box into a warm house the record will immediately show anything like this up.

No way on earth can i locate records i want in any shop {not that there is any near us} so personally going to a used record shop is impossible.

Record buying thru mail order to me is the worse thing on earth & the sole reason i regular pack Hi-Fi's & records up & become a boring person

So all today i will be in a foul mood again

Macca
15-01-2015, 16:26
Digital downloads? Get rid of the physical media entirely then you get rid of the problem. Okay I know it is sort of throwing the baby out with the bathwater and I've no idea if the sort of music you want is available on download but if it is then that is one solution.

The Barbarian
15-01-2015, 16:29
Get real Martin.. i will never ever again entertain digital media.You know this ive said it often enough.

What im after is input from others that are sick to the back teeth with sellers. Dont get me wrong not all are the same but the majority are.

Spectral Morn
15-01-2015, 16:31
Digital downloads? Get rid of the physical media entirely then you get rid of the problem. Okay I know it is sort of throwing the baby out with the bathwater and I've no idea if the sort of music you want is available on download but if it is then that is one solution.

Harder to do, if its rare Dance, Chill Out, Electronica, which I think Andre is into these days.

Regards Neil

The Barbarian
15-01-2015, 16:33
Hi Neil
Ive always been into Trance music ever since the early 1990's but never told anyone. But like Prog there's a time frame with me..

Spectral Morn
15-01-2015, 16:35
Hi Neil
Ive always been into Trance music ever since the early 1990's but never told anyone. But like Prog there's a time frame with me..

I love a lot of that kind of music, no idea the correct genres so I tend to use generic terms like the above. I can see why you like it because there is a lot of prog elements to a lot of it. The Orb for instance, System 7 and others.

Regards Neil

The Barbarian
15-01-2015, 16:41
Pigeon hole names such as Progressive Trance/ Psychedelic Trance/Goa Trance etc.. Im not a fan of modern trance nor the commercial stuff you hear played in popular nightclubs..

Important labels

Flying Rhino Records
Dragonfly Records
Transient Records
Platipus Records
Rising High Records
Eye-Q Records
Harthouse Records

struth
15-01-2015, 16:45
it can be difficult. i ended up only buying from a select few so i got what i paid for. alas it does limit the choice somewhat but my maxim was better none than done.

The Barbarian
15-01-2015, 16:58
I love a lot of that kind of music, no idea the correct genres so I tend to use generic terms like the above. I can see why you like it because there is a lot of prog elements to a lot of it. The Orb for instance, System 7 and others.

Regards Neil

I got turned onto this stuff around 1994 whilst a weekend away at The 2nd Phoenix Festival, Stratford-Upon-Avon.. I walked into the 'Trance Euro Express' tent & never came out till the morning after.. Totally awesome experience..great sound quality too..

also watching Ozric Tentacles with John Peel which was one of my claims to fame..

Spectral Morn
15-01-2015, 17:14
I got turned onto this stuff around 1994 whilst a weekend away at The 2nd Phoenix Festival, Stratford-Upon-Avon.. I was given some Acid, walked into the 'Trance Euro Express' tent & never came out till the morning after.. Totally awesome experience..great sound quality too..

also watching Ozric Tentacles with John Peel which was one of my claims to fame..

Would love to see them live.

When I was a Saturday boy, just fresh to the audio trade, one of my colleagues turned me onto dance and chill out, so much of the stuff I have dates from the 90s, less contemporary stuff but I do like some of it.

Buying anything used is a challenge and I much prefer to handle it first but that is getting harder to do these days.

Regards Neil

DarrenHW
15-01-2015, 20:15
I got turned onto this stuff around 1994 whilst a weekend away at The 2nd Phoenix Festival, Stratford-Upon-Avon.. I walked into the 'Trance Euro Express' tent & never came out till the morning after.. Totally awesome experience..great sound quality too..

Read this before my dinner and now you've edited it :eyebrows:. You're still a legend IMO :respect: ahh the 90's.

I feel your pain, I like 12" Singles myself, I got into vinyl in the first place to recreate a cassette my late father had made featuring quite obscure 12" singles from the early 80's. I did use Discogs for a while but as you say many sellers are either incompetent or just blatantly dishonest, I've taken your approach to CD's, I just don't bother, not worth the heartbreak or the return postage fees :steam:.

The Barbarian
19-01-2015, 18:17
Have you lot ever heard anything so reducul'arse in your life. I ask my usual questions regarding scratches, label condition to get ''Buy & pay for them then i will check them for you!''

:mental: