PDA

View Full Version : PASSIVE PHONO STAGE for sale

Varun
15-08-2009, 19:32
Hello Audiophiles,

I have a Passive Phono stage made by Plinius for me. It has been housed in their entry level Phono Pre-amp Jarra box. I consider this to be an excellent device to be used with either a head amp or a phono-preamp and avoids the need to have a line level pre-amp. This is particularly important for those who can not move into the premier line level Pre-amp market. This was the case with me and used it until I could affiord the top pre-amp.

Dimensions: 14cms (W); 5cms (H) and 27cms (D). Very light and being passive needs no power. Built to the usual Plinius high standard. It is in excellent condition- so do not be misled by the extra sharp images.

Image shack has overblown the images- highlighting everything.

For :: £200.

http://img268.imageshack.us/img268/7549/10042788.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/7488/61764489.jpg

http://img199.imageshack.us/img199/51/37174793.jpg

Mike
15-08-2009, 22:35
A Passive Phono stage, that's a new one on me! :scratch:

Please tell me more... I am seriously intrigued! :)

Is it just a RIAA stage in a box? Normally a phono stage has one of the highest gains to be found in a Hi-Fi system!

Dave Cawley
16-08-2009, 07:18
Can we see inside please?

Thanks

Dave

Varun
16-08-2009, 08:21
Hello Mike and Dave (Crawley),

Well I thought that is what they are called "PHONO-STAGE"- because I was using it as a link between the PHONO-PREAMP and the Power amp. So it was acting as a volume control, I did say It is NOT a HEAD AMP.

It has no gain of any sort- so MIKE you are right. There have been many PASSIVE PHONO -what ever you call it-like this before- always expensive. I could not work out why.

I am afraid I am not good at opening things but will have a go.

The whole business was because I wanted to keep the electrics simple. There was such a move once-but Peter Thompson of Plinius felt I should go active. I had been using EAR 834P before buying Plinius M14 Phono-Preamp.

As for the price- once again- I was advised by a dealer who said that there would be great demand for it.

Thanks for the interest. Rest assured-like all PLinius products it will be wired by Siltech Silver.

Varun

Varun
16-08-2009, 08:56
No luck with my attemps to see if I can. There is nothing that can be opened with hex keys or philips type tools. So it requires an expert- and me at the other extreme end.

Sorry,

Varun

Dave Cawley
16-08-2009, 09:06
Bugger! I thought it was a phono stage, and would have bought it!

Plinius do make lovely stuff though.

Regards

Dave

Varun
16-08-2009, 10:36
Hi Dave,

Plinius never made such a thing-it was made on a personal request, So Peter Thompson obliged. It is a PHONO STAGE for use in the PHONO LINE ONLY and I will say it is extremely good for what it does.

OK Dave- I am happy to drop it into your shop personally. I am in Devon in mid September-that is if I get the time. Our house is not a few miles far from Totnes- in the country-or I can deposit it somewhere -from where you can retrieve it.

Please let me know.

Problem with me is that I do not sell- never done it and have no e-bay account. I asked my son to sell my Sony digital camera and he had no luck on e-bay because of his zero seller profile.

Varun

Varun
16-08-2009, 10:37
apologies for putting 'r' in your surname.