PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Two KEF B200 drive units.

Martyn Miles
10-01-2015, 08:31
I am looking for 2x Kef B200s. Actual models not too critical. Unpainted or black chassis. Anything considered, as long as they perform correctly.
Thanks
M Miles.

mad-moon
10-01-2015, 10:38
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-KEF-SP1014-Hi-fi-Home-Audio-Stereo-Speaker-Low-Mid-Range-Driver-Cones-Only-/381106063474?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item58bbb10872

Martyn Miles
10-01-2015, 10:56
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-KEF-SP1014-Hi-fi-Home-Audio-Stereo-Speaker-Low-Mid-Range-Driver-Cones-Only-/381106063474?pt=UK_AudioVideoElectronics_HomeAudio HiFi_HiFiSpeakers&hash=item58bbb10872

Thank you very much.
M Miles.

walpurgis
10-01-2015, 11:03
Those on eBay have the Plastiflex doping lifting away from the cone around the centre. It can be redone, if you remove all the old coating rather than try to patch it up, it can be a tricky job. I'd look for a better pair.

Be careful which B200 you get. The small magnet version is best used in compact sealed boxes and the big magnet one was used in reflex/ABR designs.

Martyn Miles
10-01-2015, 13:10
Those on eBay have the Plastiflex doping lifting away from the cone around the centre. It can be redone, if you remove all the old coating rather than try to patch it up, it can be a tricky job. I'd look for a better pair.

Be careful which B200 you get. The small magnet version is best used in compact sealed boxes and the big magnet one was used in reflex/ABR designs.

Thanks for that.
Incidentally, do you know where I can obtain roll surround kits of different diameters ?
I have a pair of bass/mid drivers, which are smaller dia. than the Kef B200 and larger that of the SP1003.
I need to measure it to find out the actual measurements.
M Miles.

walpurgis
10-01-2015, 13:13
I buy mine from eBay. US sites have a great variety. Be careful to match inner and outer edge profiles though.

Martyn Miles
10-01-2015, 15:07
I buy mine from eBay. US sites have a great variety. Be careful to match inner and outer edge profiles though.

Thanks.
Yes, I have found a pair. I see what you mean about the profiles, etc.
I haven't got the drive units handy, but I see I will have to measure them precisely.
With these replacement surrounds, do they have different thicknesses ?

Some come with adhesive, I see.
Incidentally, I once used some PVA wood glue (!) on a Wharfedale Diamond bass/mid. unit.
It did seem to work OK...
M Miles.

walpurgis
10-01-2015, 16:01
The best adhesive I've found for speaker surrounds is Aleene's Original Tacky Glue. I've used it on many speaker repairs, It's water based and goes sticky fairly quickly but you can still move the glued pieces around. Once dry it remains slightly tacky to touch. I did my Tannoy Cheviot surrounds with it. Brilliant stuff.

And yes surrounds do vary in thickness.