PDA

View Full Version : Rogers JR149 Project

ListeningEar
09-01-2015, 21:07
Rogers JR149 now totally overhauled and re-engineered. These have a wealth of upgrades and modications that include reworked crossovers with all new capacitors and resistors mounted in external chassis. All wiring has been upgraded, new sound deadening which included filling the metal base sections and mass loading the stands (stands are not genuine Rogers stands).

Sound is simply stunning! Mid and highs are glorious but in a large room you would probably need to add a subwoofer.

Detailed description of work:

Cabinets were badly damaged with deep scratches so these were shot blasted and powder coated in Red Bull Racing silver. New acoustic damping material was used and original weak threaded rods that run between the top and bottom end caps were replaced for M8 rods offering a much more secure fixing.

Original end caps were cheap laminated chipboard, these have been replaced with solid walnut wood sections custom made by a local furniture maker. Bottom section is a thin steel dish which original housed the crossovers, this thin metal 'bowl' very poor isolation and negatively affects the bass response. These were lined with acoustic damping material, filled with sand and sealed with custom made cork inserts making these a completely solid and sealed unit.

Drivers were all tested ok and well within tolerance but all wiring has been upgraded to pure copper, Neotech STDCT-18. The crossovers have been fitted into new external cases so new wiring is a continuous run from drivers to external crossovers. Crossovers have been upgraded by replacing all resistors for Mills MRA12 type and capacitors replaced for ClarityCap ESA's.

I am really enjoying the sound of these Rogers and while I appreciate purists may think these should have been left alone this project was all about taking some classic speakers that were in shocking condition and re-working them to something that can be enjoyed for a long time.

https://scontent-b-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/1487259_508966512578157_3289819059429330309_n.jpg? oh=e2963ea75f8ee2919ba6b95b2a0cce06&oe=552E52BE

Firebottle
10-01-2015, 08:10
Great result there Craig :thumbsup: Looking very smart as well.

:cool: Alan

struth
10-01-2015, 10:49
Top job Craig.

twotone
10-01-2015, 20:27
I had a pair until recently, great speakers, great job Craig.

Tony

Gordon Steadman
10-01-2015, 21:08
I am really enjoying the sound of these Rogers and while I appreciate purists may think these should have been left alone this project was all about taking some classic speakers that were in shocking condition and re-working them to something that can be enjoyed for a long time

I think they look terrific. I used to love mine but was foolish enough to sell them. I am having a discussion on a Dual forum about leaving stuff as standard. I just don't get the argument. Like your speakers my TT was a bit rough and I have started modifying it to get it back into a usable condition for daily use. The basics are still there but it will now last another 40 or 50 years and the basic sound will be as good or better than standard. I thought the sound was what mattered. I have offended the purists but I don't think I will lose any sleep because of it.

Mr Kipling
10-01-2015, 21:23
You Cad!

Wakefield Turntables
10-01-2015, 21:24
Screw the purists! Do your speakers how YOU want them and damm the consequences!