PDA

View Full Version : Open back headphone listening with sub

CADCAM
07-01-2015, 17:30
Don't know if this is old news and if it is please disregard.
A friend suggested I place a small sub woofer as close as possible to my listening chair while listening through headphones. I only have open back or semi open btw.
Anyway at first I thought it would be a waste of time, but I had a small 8" Harman Kardon sub that wasn't doing anything so I gave it a shot. Well let me say it ended up working out very well! I can actually reach the crossover and volume controls and set the sub just enough to fill a little foundational void in the sub bass. The port faces me as well and it really supplements the bass on open back headphones. If you happen to have a sub lying around give it a try. I don't listen without it much anymore unless I'm listening to my EVO's. Anyway it was news to me and I like it!

cvision123
04-04-2015, 06:48
I use almost the same setup and am very satisfied with the sound. The bass of Hd-800 is adequate but it can't go too low. I set my Velodyne SPL-1200 Ultra crossover at 60-80Hz then I have best of both world. I would guess that you'll need to spend a lot of money for a pair of floorstanders as well as room acoustic to achieve the same level.