07-01-2015, 11:01
Article in the Guardian today.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jan/07/-sp-vinyls-difficult-comeback

struth
07-01-2015, 11:56
Good read Gordon. I liked the Stazi reference:lol:

Macca
07-01-2015, 12:41
I know that it's <shudder> The Guardian but what's this supposed to mean?

“Vinyl is tangible,” said his friend Nicky Smiles, 29. “And it’s the medium the records we listen to were actually made in.”

And then there's this:

Another explanation centres on the fact that analogue technology captures a greater range of sound than most comparatively crude digital equipment,

Oh dear.

Even more concerning: If the guardianistas are starting to realise vinyl is cool it will only be a matter of time before it isn't anymore.

Ali Tait
07-01-2015, 13:05
..and cassette is " chronically unreliable" ??

Really?

walpurgis
07-01-2015, 13:11

Really?

Mine tended to be. :D

Ali Tait
07-01-2015, 13:12
You should see a doctor about that. :D

Macca
07-01-2015, 13:18

Really?

I missed that. But then it is a very long and quite poorly written article. Maybe we should do our own 'Vinyl Revival' article and send it in. At least it will have some (correct) facts in it.

Gordon Steadman
07-01-2015, 13:30
You lot are unreal.:ner:

An 'interesting' article about a minority interest doesn't have to be forensically correct. I thought it set the scene extremely well and may well prompt the occasional person to investigate. Just the history of the pressing plant was good.

struth
07-01-2015, 13:35
cassettes were unreliable. they were always jamming breaking creasing etc. hi end stuff was better but most folk just used them in car or walkmans.

Macca
07-01-2015, 13:41
I never head any problems with cassette. But then I always used a decent Sony deck. It was those really crappy in car decks made by companies you'd never heard of - they were the worst for eating tapes. I had a girlfriend who owned a particualarly bad one - I swear it made 'nom nom' noises while it munched away.

awkwardbydesign
07-01-2015, 14:00

Really?
Well, yes! How many tangled or broken tapes have you had? Or degradation from going too near to magnets? Or shedding oxide? Or coming undone inside the cassette?

prestonchipfryer
07-01-2015, 14:05
What a good read Gordon. Thanks. :)

awkwardbydesign
07-01-2015, 14:12
I know that it's <shudder> The Guardian but what's this supposed to mean?

“Vinyl is tangible,” said his friend Nicky Smiles, 29. “And it’s the medium the records we listen to were actually made in.”

And then there's this:

Another explanation centres on the fact that analogue technology captures a greater range of sound than most comparatively crude digital equipment,

Oh dear.

Even more concerning: If the guardianistas are starting to realise vinyl is cool it will only be a matter of time before it isn't anymore.
Lol! At least your last point is correct.

Barry
07-01-2015, 22:23
Well, yes! How many tangled or broken tapes have you had? Or degradation from going too near to magnets? Or shedding oxide? Or coming undone inside the cassette?

None! I made all my tapes, some 200 of them to play in the car. None have been damaged or spoiled.

Ali Tait
07-01-2015, 22:29
+1.

mikmas
08-01-2015, 00:46
I read the article and to be honest found it overindulgent wannabe nonsense - the message I got out of it was that if you weren't prepared to pledge megabucks to the project you wouldn't stand a chance of entering the rapturous nirvana that only vinyl was capable of delivering. The dismissive tone used for anything else (including digital) was simplistic, grossly exaggerated and divisive.

If I didn't have an ancient clapped out TT already and hadn't grown up with the stuff, this piece would seriously make me think twice about even daring to entertain the idea of trying to join such an exclusive club or venturing near the vinyl paradise until I came up trumps with the lottery.