PDA

View Full Version : Kef 104/2

vinyljunky
05-01-2015, 19:53
Found a pair of kef 104/2 local to me could possibly get them for 300 pounds.I have limited knowledge about these speakers there sensitivity is 92 db I would have though they would be an easy load for my croft phono intergrated people seem to be raving about the sweet mid range and controlled bass any thoughts about my amp and these kefs as a combo.Any thoughts from my fellow hifi gurues would be appreciated.:scratch:

Tea24
06-01-2015, 09:00
I have had a pair since new in 1990 and run them with a Quad 66 pre through a Quad 606 power & previously with a 306. Never had any trouble driving them with those combos. They are a very musical speaker which will cope with most types of music. Personally I play mainly jazz, big band, classical & slightly dated pop (that shows my age;)). I have not tried heavy metal or today's screaming nitwits as I am not into that.

If in good condition, bearing in mind their likely age, they are a great speaker.

Julian

YNWaN
06-01-2015, 13:01
As I recall, the high sensitivity of this speaker is partly because the crossover is designed to present a 4 Ohm load to the amplifier. I don't know how happy your Croft is at driving such a load (perhaps it is fine), but many valve amps would rather see an 8 Ohm or higher load.

Macca
06-01-2015, 13:21
The Croft Integrated is a hybrid with MOSFET output stage - I reckon you would just about get away with it unless you really want to rock out in a big room. Quite a lot of info about these particular KEFs on Audiokarma if you are interested.

anthonyTD
06-01-2015, 14:19
Quite agree!
I have had a pair since new in 1990 and run them with a Quad 66 pre through a Quad 606 power & previously with a 306. Never had any trouble driving them with those combos. They are a very musical speaker which will cope with most types of music. Personally I play mainly jazz, big band, classical & slightly dated pop (that shows my age;)). I have not tried heavy metal or today's screaming nitwits as I am not into that.

If in good condition, bearing in mind their likely age, they are a great speaker.

Julian

Juha
06-01-2015, 14:22
I am happy with my Kef 104/2.

Large speakers with impressive and neutral sound.
Sound just a bit dark.

Needs some amp power. Remember each speaker has 5 elements.
Delivers floor shaking bass at higher levels.

On the negative side:

* Difficult to service because of complicated build
* Only tweeters are easy to change
* Mids are glued on - check that these work
* Woofers have rubber "doughnuts". Expensive to repair as you have 4.
* Complicated crossover. No recapping here.

Reffc
06-01-2015, 17:00
The last comment's a little mysterious as I've recently done just that...serviced a pair, including removal of the complex crossover, measurement of everything and a complete re-cap. Yes, it's complex and there's a lot of capacitors to change, but the lower value electrolytics will almost certainly be shot by now and the speakers will benefit by a recap. The pair I've just completed were analysed for acoustic crossover performance and were returned to factory spec with little problem.

Juha
06-01-2015, 17:59
The last comment's a little mysterious as I've recently done just that...serviced a pair, including removal of the complex crossover, measurement of everything and a complete re-cap. Yes, it's complex and there's a lot of capacitors to change, but the lower value electrolytics will almost certainly be shot by now and the speakers will benefit by a recap. The pair I've just completed were analysed for acoustic crossover performance and were returned to factory spec with little problem.

My Kef 104/2 are mark 1. The crossover is placed somewhere in the upper bass driver box. Not easy access.
I would like to do a recap. Could not do it because I could not find the parts list and wiring diagram for it.

Also there is a story on the web about Kef and the Alcap caps. That they would purchase them in big lots.
Measure every one. Sort them more accurately than their nominal values. Then match the crossover caps to current batch of speaker elements.

If you know where I could get the caps, I would like to try. Then report back if the recap made a difference.
Thank you.

Reffc
06-01-2015, 19:14
My Kef 104/2 are mark 1. The crossover is placed somewhere in the upper bass driver box. Not easy access.
I would like to do a recap. Could not do it because I could not find the parts list and wiring diagram for it.

Also there is a story on the web about Kef and the Alcap caps. That they would purchase them in big lots.
Measure every one. Sort them more accurately than their nominal values. Then match the crossover caps to current batch of speaker elements.

If you know where I could get the caps, I would like to try. Then report back if the recap made a difference.
Thank you.

Ahh...that explains it...checking my notes, it was a much later pair...my mistake! It was KEF Series Reference 4...not the same thing at all as the 104/2's. Have also done a Series Model One recently. Nicely made, properly designed crossovers and very decent sounding.

If you need the caps, try Jerry at Falcon as he stocks the Alcap capacitors and they're very reasonably priced.

Yes, the earlier ones are a right pain to get to, but they are doable. As for KEF sorting them into more accurate values they were normally supplied (probably) to plus or minus 5 to 10%...I think what you mean is that they sorted them to +/- tighter tolerances, so whatever the ratings you find within the crossovers are likely the ratings selected I'd guess to around 1 to 3% from new. Falcon can sort these to tighter tolerances for you when you order for a small additional sum, so probably worthwhile if you decide to recap.

Update: Checking my own KEF research notes, the factory apparently selected groups of caps and matched to 5%. I can't find the crossover frequencies for the 104/2 but given the matching tolerances and the fact that like for like replacements are available today, buying matched to 3% tolerance ensures a satisfactory chance of achieving factory spec for individual caps and grouped caps. I am unsure if you can remove the upper bass baffle board, as if so, this makes accessing the crossover board located behind the drivers much much easier. They certainly buried it deep on that model!

vinyljunky
06-01-2015, 20:04
I don't really want to take my amp to the limit to avoid clipping my room is 6 metres by 9 metres it's not the biggest.The concept 20s I have at the moment are 6 ohms with 86db sensitivity fine at moderate levels but when the volume is wacked up the bass tends to suffer.From what I can gather here the kefs won't be the easiest load on the edge of what's acceptable.A real head scratcher hifi I can just imagine a lot of people being put on medication searching for the holy grail.Getting serious anyone got any other suggestions as to a good match for my croft please.:steam:

Reffc
06-01-2015, 20:23
I don't really want to take my amp to the limit to avoid clipping my room is 6 metres by 9 metres it's not the biggest.The concept 20s I have at the moment are 6 ohms with 86db sensitivity fine at moderate levels but when the volume is wacked up the bass tends to suffer.From what I can gather here the kefs won't be the easiest load on the edge of what's acceptable.A real head scratcher hifi I can just imagine a lot of people being put on medication searching for the holy grail.Getting serious anyone got any other suggestions as to a good match for my croft please.:steam:

:scratch: 6m by 9m "not the biggest"...seems plenty big! :)

The KEFs may be sensitive but they're not the easiest load. The croft will drive them, but they thrive on more wattage imho. Possibly not the best match, especially if sitting at the far end of that 9m long room! Plenty of options...what's the budget?

struth
06-01-2015, 20:32
Yes, its about 3 times the area of mine, so huge to most folk. Probably too big for a listening area.

vinyljunky
14-02-2015, 21:30
sorry folks slight exaggeration on the size of my room its just 6.5 metres by 4.5 metres:D Anyhow i have finally settled on a pair of edingdales from mr topps i will be posting my thoughts on these in the not to distant future first impressions are good.:)

struth
14-02-2015, 23:41
Eglingdales are fantabidozy

vinyljunky
15-02-2015, 11:38
Grant your right they are bootilishus I am having a few religious experiences again.Trouble is we never seem to reach nirvana I am sure upgraditus will inflict me again at least with hifi you can do this with women your stuck with the same old model no chance of part ex unless you want an expensive divorce:lol:

struth
15-02-2015, 18:38
So would I if I had a pair of those beauts instead of my measly b cups[emoji12]

vinyljunky
15-02-2015, 19:30
she is double d:stalks: seriously why don't you pop down to the next nebo with your knowledge you would be a welcome addition

struth
15-02-2015, 21:02
she is double d:stalks: seriously why don't you pop down to the next nebo with your knowledge you would be a welcome addition

if i get my hip fixed i'd like to.

Gazjam
15-02-2015, 22:08
Why buy new, just take the old Missus in for a retread...

struth
15-02-2015, 22:13
Need more than a retread mate;)

Gazjam
16-02-2015, 18:46
wasn't *specifically* referring to anyone...yer honour! :)

vinyljunky
16-02-2015, 19:51
Needs more than a retread the Pistons are knackered :lol: