PDA

View Full Version : Private 'Bake-Off' Appraisal.

DaveK
14-08-2009, 22:28
Because I reluctantly have to part with Mike's new cable to Gazjam tomorrow (only because Mike's promised me a longer one, toute suite), I carried out a short private 'bake-off' between my Marantz CD-63 MKII and another CD player (recent impusle buy off eBay which I thought might be an improvement on my Marantz), which shall be nameless. The test CDs were JMJ's Equinoxe (no comments please ;) ), TD's Distant Trains Passing By and Isobel Campbell & Mark Lanegan's Ballad of the Broken Seas.
The test method was play each CD in turn, first ion one player, then swap the player and play the same CD again. Music stream was player to mod'd 7520 via Homar Special i/c to amp to speakers.
First up Equinoxe on Marantz, then Equinoxe on nameless. Result: nameless came within 90% of Marantz, not quite so sharp (distinct/seperation) and bass not so punchy, but overall not bad.
Second up TD on nameless then on Marantz. Result: nameless came within 85% of Marantz, overall sound softer, more blurred, less sharp, particularly low bass notes.
Third up Campbell/Lanegan on Marantz then on nameless. Result: nameless only came within 60% of Marantz - I just could not believe the difference - put bluntly, if this had been the first track that I tried the Homar Special i/c on I would not have passed it on to anybody except back to Mike, it was awful.
This (Campbell/Lanegan) CD was passed on to me by a fellow forum member some time ago - huge apologies to the honourable member concerned, I'm hopeless with names AND my short term memory is SHOT! - as a good CD with which to evaluate the capabilities of my set up. I was told that, if I could distinctly hear and understand both voices at the same time it was a good sign. I remember being surprised how easy it was to do that (and this was before having the Homar Special i/c) and thinking it wasn't much of a test - how wrong I was!! With the nameless CD player both voices were blurred, the male voice was just about comprehendable but the female voice was so light (feint) and blurred (foggy) that I couldn't understand a word of what she sang on any of the first three tracks - I just couldn't bring myself to suffer any more - God only knows what it would sound like with a lesser i/c!!!
Needless to say, the nameless player will shortly be back on eBay :smoking: .
My thanks to all parties involved, (even though I can't name some of them :lol: ) and all trademarks are the properties of their respective owners :ner: .
Cheers,

Alex_UK
14-08-2009, 22:33
You big tease - go on, do the dirty! (otherwise I might end up bidding on the God-foresaken pile of crap! :lol:)

Doesn't come from Salisbury, does it? :confused:

Barry
14-08-2009, 22:35
Thanks Dave,

This is exactly the sort of comparison/feedback that we like to see/hear on AoS. Just to make sure that your ears were not deceiving you, run the same bake off, with the new interconnect in a few days time.

Regards

DaveK
14-08-2009, 22:58
Thanks Dave,

This is exactly the sort of comparison/feedback that we like to see/hear on AoS. Just to make sure that your ears were not deceiving you, run the same bake off, with the new interconnect in a few days time.

Regards

Thanks Barry,
I thought that I may just be indulging myself by posting it - nice to know that someone else appreciates it. However, even in the interests of this forum I am not currently inclined to put myself through that again - I have my sensitive hearing to think about :lol: . On the other hand, I can be bought - if someone cares to cross my palm with silver and offer me a stiff drink or several I might be persuaded to try again :lolsign: .

You big tease - go on, do the dirty! (otherwise I might end up bidding on the God-foresaken pile of crap! )

Doesn't come from Salisbury, does it?
To Alex I can only say "wrong end of the land" ;):smoking::ner: . If you do buy it on eBay I'll give you a discount (on the P&P :smoking:) and autograph it for you - how's that grab you?: :lol: .
And so to bed - night night all!

The Grand Wazoo
17-08-2009, 11:48
This (Campbell/Lanegan) CD was passed on to me by a fellow forum member some time ago - huge apologies to the honourable member concerned, I'm hopeless with names AND my short term memory is SHOT! - as a good CD with which to evaluate the capabilities of my set up. I was told that, if I could distinctly hear and understand both voices at the same time it was a good sign. I remember being surprised how easy it was to do that (and this was before having the Homar Special i/c) and thinking it wasn't much of a test - how wrong I was!! With the nameless CD player both voices were blurred, the male voice was just about comprehendable but the female voice was so light (feint) and blurred (foggy) that I couldn't understand a word of what she sang on any of the first three tracks - I just couldn't bring myself to suffer any more - God only knows what it would sound like with a lesser i/c!!!

'Twas I, Dave, 'Twas I!
Glad you're getting some use out of it (hopefully enjoying the music too)
Chris