PDA

View Full Version : I've booked my flights for Bristol

RochaCullen
05-01-2015, 10:55
Hi All,

I've been meaning to do this for years, so I've finally taken the plunge and have booked my flights for the Bristol hifi show. I know there are folks out there that will say its probably not worth while, but I've not been to such a show before and look forward to basking in the geeky greatness of it all.

A question I have about the show is: should I book a two day or a one day ticket, i.e., how long does it take to get around and see things, taking it fairly easy of course?

Nathan

StanleyB
05-01-2015, 12:02
Have you included social networking and drinking time into your calculations?

Reffc
05-01-2015, 14:08
IME the Bristol Show has one of the highest footfalls of all UK shows but this is a double edged sword, as many folk are there for the AV side, it makes the experience very tiring with large crowds and seldom any chance to do any decent listening as most rooms are so full and noisy. To take your time and to enjoy rummaging through the excellent vinyl sales stalls, it's probably best to get a two day ticket, especially if you're travelling so far in the first place. There are cheaper local hotels to stay in and it allows a decent night out for a decent curry and pint or three...

Not the best organised show (especially for the manufacturers!), but one of the best attended. A few restaurants and food selling points at the venue allows for decent mid day grub. All in all, not the best show to attend if a relaxed saunter around hifi is order of the day (Whittlebury is better for that), especially if listening is high on the agenda, but to counter that, lots of new products make their appearance at Bristol every year and it's a chance to get up close and personal with the manufacturers and to see the products.

RochaCullen
05-01-2015, 14:55
Have you included social networking and drinking time into your calculations?

I'm hoping for plenty of both!!

RochaCullen
05-01-2015, 15:03
IME the Bristol Show has one of the highest footfalls of all UK shows but this is a double edged sword, as many folk are there for the AV side, it makes the experience very tiring with large crowds and seldom any chance to do any decent listening as most rooms are so full and noisy. To take your time and to enjoy rummaging through the excellent vinyl sales stalls, it's probably best to get a two day ticket, especially if you're travelling so far in the first place. There are cheaper local hotels to stay in and it allows a decent night out for a decent curry and pint or three...

Not the best organised show (especially for the manufacturers!), but one of the best attended. A few restaurants and food selling points at the venue allows for decent mid day grub. All in all, not the best show to attend if a relaxed saunter around hifi is order of the day (Whittlebury is better for that), especially if listening is high on the agenda, but to counter that, lots of new products make their appearance at Bristol every year and it's a chance to get up close and personal with the manufacturers and to see the products.

Thanks Paul,

I'm actually glad to hear its a busy place. It is a pity I wont get to spend huge time listening, but it will be great to see some of the new offerings.

Nathan

MCRU
05-01-2015, 15:47
Hi All,

I've been meaning to do this for years, so I've finally taken the plunge and have booked my flights for the Bristol hifi show. I know there are folks out there that will say its probably not worth while, but I've not been to such a show before and look forward to basking in the geeky greatness of it all.

A question I have about the show is: should I book a two day or a one day ticket, i.e., how long does it take to get around and see things, taking it fairly easy of course?

Nathan

you need 2 days at least

looking forward to meeting you

it's a few days away from home, that's what's important, none of the stress associated with everyday existence! :)

RochaCullen
05-01-2015, 15:49
you need 2 days at least

looking forward to meeting you

it's a few days away from home, that's what's important, none of the stress associated with everyday existence! :)

Look forward to seeing you to David.

I've booked my ticket and it looks like you can only buy single day tickets on line and then pay for the second at the door. Should be great fun. I'll be dragging a couple of mates along with me.

Nathan

MCRU
05-01-2015, 15:52
Look forward to seeing you to David.

I've booked my ticket and it looks like you can only buy single day tickets on line and then pay for the second at the door. Should be great fun. I'll be dragging a couple of mates along with me.

Nathan

Good man, btw it is the most well organized UK show there is, I have been 5 times now and we are are in the venue and all the porters are straight out to help take the gear in immediately.

It is busy but most of all it is enjoyable, isn't that all that matters in the end?

See Ya

brian2957
05-01-2015, 16:23
Aye it's an excellent show which requires the 2 days IMO , and there's usually loads of interesting bargains at Davids (MCRU) pitch . Enjoy the show . :)

joey
05-01-2015, 17:27
as bristol is only hour drive away im tempted to go!

RochaCullen
05-01-2015, 17:28
as bristol is only hour drive away im tempted to go!

At least you will get there quicker than I will.

MCRU
05-01-2015, 18:55
At least you will get there quicker than I will.

4+ hours for me, 1 hour to un-load then 4-5 hours to set up!

hifinutt
06-01-2015, 05:08
yes its a very enjoyable show but as you say , serious listening is not really able due to the noise but it gives a flavour and some great deals .

Lee Henley
08-01-2015, 07:36
All being well I shall be popping along on the Sunday. I always enjoy the show and the day out