PDA

View Full Version : I expect a kicking for this question, but . . .

JohnMcC
04-01-2015, 16:30
. . . how do I add track cues to a pre-existing FLAC file? A friend has given me an OGG file of an old orchestral recording which I've converted to FLAC and which I can play from my server using Foobar through my DAC, but it's a continuous recording with no marked breaks for individual movements. Can I insert these easily? I assume the CUE file from the OGG folder won't work in FLAC, but I may be wrong.

I'm sure the answer's already on here somewhere but I don't know where to look - typical noob prob I guess!

JohnMcC
06-01-2015, 10:57
OK, so this was obviously such a stupid question that no-one can be bothered to answer it . . . or no-one knows how to do this. I tried doing it with Audacity but it merely named tracks without adding a cue. Anyone help? Please?

struth
06-01-2015, 11:06
never tried but right clicking does bring up the tags menu and might do it there. Gazjam is pretty good with tags and jriver ..hope he will come along and. add his knowledge.

snapper
06-01-2015, 11:08
If using a Mac, try XLD. http://x-lossless-decoder.en.softonic.com/mac

Go to file, then open and open cue sheet where .ogg is. This should open the file as individual tracks. You can tag as this point. Then convert to .flac.

HTH

synsei
06-01-2015, 11:10
This is of interest me too so I'm all ears...

EDIT: Aha, this might be helpful ;)

http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=72958

Gazjam
06-01-2015, 11:51
Flacs work fine with cue sheets, and the format is the same, cue is cue.

If you have the existing cue sheet, have you tried it with your flac file?
It should only need some editing in notepad to edit the *.ogg format to Flac?
In notepad, Edit/find and replace/*replace all references to OGG with Flac*

e.g
REM GENRE Alternative
REM DATE 1991
REM DISCID 860B640B
REM COMMENT "ExactAudioCopy v0.95b4"
PERFORMER "My Bloody Valentine"
TITLE "Loveless"
FILE "My Bloody Valentine - Loveless.ogg" OGG
TRACK 01 AUDIO
TITLE "Only Shallow"
INDEX 01 00:00:00
TRACK 02 AUDIO
TITLE "Loomer"
INDEX 01 04:17:52

Use notepad to edit highlighted to "flac"
I'd try that first.

Failing that, or if you don't have the original cue sheet....its a case of manually splitting the big flac file.
I'd use something like Audacity to split it.

JohnMcC
06-01-2015, 15:41
Thanks for the replies. I'll see if I can find and use the old cue sheet and report back.

AlexM
06-01-2015, 17:04
You may prefer to deal with separate FLACs using gapless playback, in which case you can use this free utility for splitting long FLAC or OGG files, based on contents of .CUE file. it is quite a powerful tool.

www.medieval.it/cuesplitter-pc/menu-id-71.html

Regards,
Alex

Andrei
20-01-2015, 22:27
Your Foobar player should play ogg.