PDA

View Full Version : Korus server upgrade

brian2957
02-01-2015, 18:34
Had me old mucker Gary ( gazjam ) round today to upgrade the music server/computer which he built for me 5 years ago . It has worked flawlessly ( except when I muck around with it as I'm a computer numpty :) ) for the all that time . Gary has upgraded my server a couple of times in the past , but this latest has to be by far the biggest improvement I have ever experienced in my system .
Gary got me to buy some new cabling for wiring in new power supplies , 3 to be exact. He fitted separate Maplins Linear PSUs to the motherboard , the processor , and the internal SSD . TBH I wasn't expecting much . It's only a computer isn't it ? They aren't really built for playing music on are they ?
I've been listening for a couple of hours now and have to say that this is possibly the biggest single upgrade I have ever made to any system I have ever owned , and I've had a couple of 'Eureka ' moments over the years. The music sounds magical and I'm fairly sure that it will get better as things settle in . A very worthwhile afternoons work indeed .
Gary builds and sells music servers under the Korus Computer Audio banner and I'm convinced that his research into computer audio puts him very much at the forefront of this area of music reproduction .
I'm a very happy chappy

Ali Tait
02-01-2015, 18:35
Nice one Brian, glad it's hit the spot for you.

brian2957
02-01-2015, 18:46
When you coming over for a listen Mr. Ali ??

Ali Tait
02-01-2015, 18:47
When you next having a board meeting? :-)

brian2957
02-01-2015, 18:51
Not sure , not had anybody to ' deal with ' this year yet :lol: I'll get back to you . You have PM .

Ali Tait
02-01-2015, 18:57
Replied. :-)

Gazjam
02-01-2015, 19:17
Clean Power is everything...even for computers :)
The Maplins boxes can be internally upgraded for even better sound, but are a great starting point.

Discrete linear 12v and 5v rails are really what you want to get around the "noisy PC environment" problem.

Markiii
02-01-2015, 20:36
Slimdevices did the same with the transporter for similar reasons

RichB
02-01-2015, 21:58
Would you mind sharing which maplin psus you've used Gaz and little more on the method?

struth
02-01-2015, 22:07
....a bit like asking the magician to explain the trick :eyebrows:

RichB
02-01-2015, 22:17
In my part of the world we have an expression 'shy bairns get nowt':lol:

Gazjam
02-01-2015, 22:46
In my part of the world its "If you Dont ask you dont get..."
I was always brought up to believe you have a tongue in your head for a reason.

Its all smoke and mirrors Rich. :)

RichB
02-01-2015, 23:25
In my part of the world its "If you Dont ask you dont get..."
I was always brought up to believe you have a tongue in your head for a reason.

Its all smoke and mirrors Rich. :)

Or smoking mirrors as my mother in law says, I don't dare correct her.

Audio Advent
08-01-2015, 17:06
....a bit like asking the magician to explain the trick :eyebrows:

I guess if they bought that trick from a magic shop on the high street, they would. There's plenty of open discussion about music server diy tips and tricks and upgrades on http://www.computeraudiophile.com. This snipet from a thread suggests Maplin XM21X 13.7v PSUs tweeked:

In the UK people sometimes buy 2 Maplins XM21X 13.7v linear PSUs and internally adjust the voltage to power the picoPSU and CPU. The 4 rail PSU you have linked to replaces the picoPSU with a custom ATX loom. Some also use an Anker to provide the power to ssd and a usb card, some use linear and battery to provide power to all the components and you can easily do it for less than £1,000 or a lot more it all depends what you go for - 2 Bakoon's as you have said takes you past half way in your budget. There is a large thread about linear PSUs on JPlay which is worth reading and gives opinions on removing the picoPSU as well as battery and linear power and shows how the connections are made in some posts using relays.

The suggestion of powering some parts with something like an Anker battery pack sounds a bit extreme but interesting!

Gazjam
08-01-2015, 17:10
Some good info on that link Sam.

A few guys have PM'd me about the upgrades I've done to Brians server and Ive given them the info.
Also, when asked, I've linked to other Sites dealing with this stuff before, for the more DIY minded.
No big secret.

Its all good. :)

Audio Advent
08-01-2015, 17:26
I didn't mean to come across suggesting you were being cagey yourself, only the idea that one should automatically assume people want to keep things close to their chest - many love to share.

Ever gone as far as the battery idea? Although a fading battery whilst using the server doesn't sound great ..

Gazjam
08-01-2015, 19:10
no worries Sam, sharing knowledge on the forum here is how Im sure a lot of us have improved our systems, know I have!

Not went down the battery route myself, I try to keep things as faff free nowadays if I can, and my system runs off a hardwired balanced mains setup anyway, so kinda have looked at power already I guess...

my build thread was here:
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?26471-Balanced-Mains-Transformer-WOW!-Hardwired-Installation-log-(Pic-Heavy!)&highlight=balanced+mains+gazjam

hows THAT for sharing :)