PDA

View Full Version : Gremlins in my mains/monitor

The Vinyl Adventure
14-08-2009, 13:57
i am currently borrowing a pair of gainclones off Rob (puffin) they sound excelent .. quite seriously knock ten barrels of crap out of the rotel ra-01 i was using before!!!
no problems until i started to play music through foobar, as soon as i pressed play there was a high pitched squeel coming from the speakers. it only happend when palying music with foobar, music through itunes was fine!
i started going through the process of trying to locate the problem. at first i thought it must be a software issue so i changed a load of settings in foobar to no avail. i then turned the volume on the dac right down and it was still there - as long as foobar was playing music even with the volume down on the computer and the dac it still squeeled. so i tryed turning the dac off... still squeeled
i went through a really long winded turning things on and off, unplugging things plugging them back in again until eventually i unplugged my monitor... squeel gone! tried plugging it in a different mains outlet ... squeel back
i eventually solved the problem by lossening the mains plug in the socket in the back of the monitor
now i could understand if the problem was there all the time as i could put it down the some kind of earthing issue or something like that ... but for it to happen only when foobar is in use!?
my conclusion.... gremlins

REM
14-08-2009, 14:27
i am currently borrowing a pair of gainclones off Rob (puffin) they sound excelent ..

no problems until i started to play music through foobar,

...my conclusion.... gremlins

That explains the foobar desktop icon then...:scratch:

The Vinyl Adventure
14-08-2009, 14:42
yes i guess it does!
the more i think about this, the more confused i am ... it just doesnt make any sense!!

Peter H
14-08-2009, 15:01
I had that with itunes on a PC. Never on my Mac. Ferrous clamps on mains leads might help. Cured mine on PC. Still available from Maplins

The Vinyl Adventure
14-08-2009, 15:57
whats a ferrous clamp?

Spectral Morn
14-08-2009, 16:09
whats a ferrous clamp?

I think he means Ferrite clamp, its away of removing RF interference. You place ferrite clamps on your power and signal cables....I use them extensively in my systems.

It sounds to me like you have RF or similar interference issues. Some switch mode Psu, digital amplifiers, PC's, and the like can create interference which can interact with other kit. Ferrite absorbs it.

Regards D S D L

The Vinyl Adventure
14-08-2009, 16:16
aaah i wonderd what those things do...
cheers, il try it

why just with foobar though? thats what i find most puzzleing

Spectral Morn
14-08-2009, 16:18
aaah i wonderd what those things do...
cheers, il try it

why just with foobar though? thats what i find most puzzleing

Sorry Hamish computers are not my thing really, so I have no idea why....

Regards D S D L

DanJennings
14-08-2009, 16:21
have you tried sticking some headphones on, I would have thought that was the easiest way to find out whether it's a software problem or not, which it probably is in my opinion

The Vinyl Adventure
14-08-2009, 16:36
it only happens with these amps

Peter H
14-08-2009, 17:46
Ferrous / Ferrite: 'Iron' In simple terms.