PDA

View Full Version : Digital downgrade?

hermit
29-12-2014, 22:57
I find I am listening less and less to my digital setup - Audio Note Dac One.1x sig, IFI ilink usb spdif converter and AQVOX linear power supply. My main sources are now my turntable and tuner.

When I do listen to the dac it is mostly spotify for the purposes of checking out prospective vinyl purchases. I do have a large flac library but it has been scarcely used these past months.

I am thinking of going for something tiny like the IFI Nano iDSD dac at £165 or the Meridian Explorer at £149 to free up some cash and some rack space for a cassette deck.

Has anyone heard either of these dacs? I'm also open to other suggestions.

Also does anyone think they would be a big disappointment after the AN or has dac technology now moved on to the point where a cheap dac can compete with an older costlier one?

Ali Tait
29-12-2014, 23:49
Is it because you are finding the analogue stuff sounding better?

hermit
30-12-2014, 00:14
Is it because you are finding the analogue stuff sounding better?

Not really. I probably regard vinyl as my preferred source in terms of absolute sq but that said, the AN is a very analogue sounding dac and totally non-fatiguing. I love its presentation and could live with it forever. Sadly funds are short and that is the main motivating factor. I might well be able to keep the AN dac but I got to thinking is it worth having so much cash tied up in a source that hasn't been getting much use of late.

I have been rapidly accumulating vinyl because I just got a tt this year. I think the main reason that the dac has been getting little play is because my new music is on vinyl and also because I'm enjoying the novelty of having a decent tuner & aerial. I also have a real hankering for a half decent cassette deck just for taping stuff off the tuner.

synsei
30-12-2014, 00:24
I've been in a similar situation to yours a couple of times. I let things go to pay the bills and regretted it afterwards... :doh:

Ali Tait
30-12-2014, 00:24
I'm in a similar boat, having gotten back into vinyl just over a year ago, after over 25 years without. I agree vinyl is preferred for ultimate SQ, though I've recently gotten hold of a Tandberg reel to reel that is challenging that assumption!

Funny after years of concentrating on digital, I've swung back the other way in a short space of time.

I think you'd struggle to get close to your Audionote with the dacs you mention.

walpurgis
30-12-2014, 00:42
I have to say, both my vinyl and CD setups sound wonderful (to me). I've never parted with any records and was probably late coming to the CD 'party'. My CD collection dates back to the early/mid eighties. I would not be happy with being without either vinyl replay or CDs. I've always used vinyl turntables, despite their being 'out of fashion' for about fifteen years (until people saw sense). I've had quite a few turntables, but dozens of CD playback arrangements, until I finally found something that sounds truly right. Surprisingly cheaply (in relative terms).

No, I do not (yet) use my PC for music, apart from copying the occasional CD (for my own use).

Desmo
14-01-2015, 11:40
I am thinking of going for something tiny like the IFI Nano iDSD dac at £165 or the Meridian Explorer at £149 to free up some cash and some rack space for a cassette deck.

I've not heard either of those DACs but I think I'd add the Beresford Caiman MkII to your short list. Stan Beresford will give you a full refund if you don't like the sound, so it's a low risk choice. And best of all it's a fantastic DAC with a very 'analogue' sound.

WAD62
14-01-2015, 11:49
I find I am listening less and less to my digital setup - Audio Note Dac One.1x sig, IFI ilink usb spdif converter and AQVOX linear power supply. My main sources are now my turntable and tuner.

When I do listen to the dac it is mostly spotify for the purposes of checking out prospective vinyl purchases. I do have a large flac library but it has been scarcely used these past months.

Also does anyone think they would be a big disappointment after the AN or has dac technology now moved on to the point where a cheap dac can compete with an older costlier one?

I use an iFi nano iDSD DAC in my portable/work setup, it is absolutely superb VFM, and is significantly better than the Arcam rPAC it replaced, I've not used its line-out as yet, as it's used in conjunction with my AKG k550s...it'll definitely free up some rack space, it's about the size of a fag packet!!!

Have you got your cassette deck yet? I have a good quality Denon one up for grabs, in very good condition...I'll check the model tonight

roob
14-01-2015, 19:06
I have an Explorer only use it for headphone listening though and not in the main rig, it is excellent value for money you could even use your Aqvox with it. I am sure there was a shop selling them for £125 the other week.
update:it was Martins and the sale ended on Jan10th back up to £150 now:doh:

WAD62
15-01-2015, 16:08
I use an iFi nano iDSD DAC in my portable/work setup, it is absolutely superb VFM, and is significantly better than the Arcam rPAC it replaced, I've not used its line-out as yet, as it's used in conjunction with my AKG k550s...it'll definitely free up some rack space, it's about the size of a fag packet!!!

Have you got your cassette deck yet? I have a good quality Denon one up for grabs, in very good condition...I'll check the model tonight

Just checked it's a DRM-800 (closed loop dual capstan/silent mechanism/dolby HX pro, SF Amorphous Head 3 Head)...