PDA

View Full Version : I liked it ! OK I said it !

Audio Al
29-12-2014, 20:17
:o

I am currently listening to a LP , been in my collection for years

And I must say I like it :)

Hold on to your hats

It's

It's

Paul McCartney

Pipes of Peace

Fair cover artwork and info on other performers , All the lyrics on the sleeve

IS all hope lost for me :lol:

The Black Adder
29-12-2014, 20:19
Good album is that... I like it. I also like Give my regards to broadstreet. It's cheezy but a good un.

Spectral Morn
29-12-2014, 21:43
Good album is that... I like it. I also like Give my regards to broadstreet. It's cheezy but a good un.

and Dave Gilmour plays on it

Ali Tait
29-12-2014, 21:58
:o

I am currently listening to a LP , been in my collection for years

And I must say I like it :)

Hold on to your hats

It's

It's

Paul McCartney

Pipes of Peace

Fair cover artwork and info on other performers , All the lyrics on the sleeve

IS all hope lost for me :lol:

Bring forth the ducking stool!

synsei
29-12-2014, 23:22
I like Wings... :uhho: :door:

Macca
30-12-2014, 10:17

All his music is cheesy. He needs to apologize publicly for 'The Frog Chorus', then I might have some time for him.

Stratmangler
30-12-2014, 10:35
All his music is cheesy. He needs to apologize publicly for 'The Frog Chorus', then I might have some time for him.

Couple of things ....
First, it's not, only some of it is! You need to learn to stop making wide sweeping and factually incorrect statements.
Second, The Frog Chorus was written and recorded with a children's film in mind. That it was jumped on by the publicists and the media is not his fault. OK, so he would likely as not have final say whether something was released or not, but I'll bet consent was given as "OK then" in casual conversation.

If you don't like his stuff just don't go near it.

Gordon Steadman
30-12-2014, 10:40

So Bing Crosby has to apologise for the Teddybear's Picnic and Bowie for Little Drummer Boy and the Dancing Gnome?? Every kid's song is cheesy if you look at it that way. McCartney is responsible for some great stuff with some inevitable crud thrown in for good measure. Pretty much like anyone else. I can't think of any composer who has managed to maintain 100% great.

The fact that he attained (I use the past tense advisedly) such heights at times is more than enough to give him respect.

He is about number 5 on my all time list during my lifetime. Compared with Bach and the like he might come a little lower:)

Macca
30-12-2014, 10:46
Couple of things ....
First, it's not, only some of it is! You need to learn to stop making wide sweeping and factually incorrect statements.

It's opinion not a factual statement. There's a difference for you to learn. Also the difference between a serious statement about something that is actually important and humour. Get out of bed on the wrong side today?

And I'm not prepared to accept 'I was only obeying orders' as an excuse for the Frog Chorus. ;)

walpurgis
30-12-2014, 10:48

I agree.

He does not rank as a 'musical genius' in my book, whereas John Lennon does.

Stratmangler
30-12-2014, 10:48
It's opinion not a factual statement. There's a difference for you to learn. Also the difference between a serious statement about something that is actually important and humour. Get out of bed on the wrong side today?

And I'm not prepared to accept 'I was only obeying orders' as an excuse for the Frog Chorus. ;)

Is it cold up there in your ivory tower? :ner:

Gordon Steadman
30-12-2014, 10:53
I agree.

He does not rank as a 'musical genius' in my book, whereas John Lennon does.

Just shows how we all differ - how can we expect to agree what constitutes a good hi-fi?

I rank him above Lennon but think they both needed the other to turn out their best. Lennon's songs after they split show none of the heights he managed with the Beatles - for me that is of course.

Macca
30-12-2014, 11:08
Is it cold up there in your ivory tower? :ner:

Bloody freezing. I've got a radiator and a fan heater on and I'm wearing 2 fleeces....:)

There is some McCartney stuff I like, very little of it is his solo stuff though, or Wings. He and Lennon were chalk and cheese but it blended into something much more than the constituent parts when they were writing together as the Beatles. Independently neither was a musical genius. Lennon would have been a better solo artist without Yoko hanging about and sticking her oar in. He would have disagreed, no doubt.

walpurgis
30-12-2014, 11:16
Just shows how we all differ - how can we expect to agree what constitutes a good hi-fi?

I rank him above Lennon but think they both needed the other to turn out their best. Lennon's songs after they split show none of the heights he managed with the Beatles - for me that is of course.

There is a parallel in my opinion, between the McCartney and Lennon pairing and Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel of Genesis.

Gabriel, much as Lennon did, imparted much of his personal character and thoughts into his music. Whereas McCartney and Collins (once he took the Genesis lead) just made 'pop music' to appeal to the market, simply to make money.

Genesis (post Gabriel), much as Wings, made appealing 'tunes', but not what I'd regard as something to take seriously.

(I feel Lennon's solo music was brilliant by the way)

Just my view.

The Black Adder
30-12-2014, 11:52
Strange how we can differ isn't it... lol

I really couldn't make a parallel with Phil Collins and Paul McCartney.

What did it for me was Phil Collins in the 90's with all that preaching about the homeless to which he creamed profit on. On his own he was just never really any good. I never liked any of the PC Genesis albums apart from Invisible Touch which was a bit weak even so.

I can't dance and Jesus he knows me (is it?) were good though, great videos too.

Macca on the other hand sure had his moments but he always seemed to pull it back.

Lennon's solo stuff was never my cup of tea, that layering of his voice ruined it for me, Phil Spector was also too prominent for my liking. Some stuff was good but I simply cannot listen to any of his albums. He was a bitter man and dogged by politics.

I like the frog chorus, but that's cos it reminds me of being a kid.

Macca's latest though 'NEW' really didn't spark my enthusiasm. One track in particular sounded like Take That or a Barlow spesh. He was even in the video to that one... at that point it really did do it for me.

His voice though was (is?) a bit worn out though. Those high powerful notes seemed miles away from him the last time I saw him perform, shame.

I really loved his studio session where he made up tracks with tape loops etc... did anyone see that?... That was my kinda thing. :)

Gordon Steadman
30-12-2014, 13:38
I have all of Peter Gabriel's albums and play them regularly. I have all the Beatles' albums and play them regularly. I play Band on the Run occasionally but pick out the best bits. I haven't listened to the two Lennon albums I have for yonks. I have most of the Original Genesis albums and never play them these days. I have two tracks by Phil Collins and play them once in a while.

At one time I played all the Genesis albums to death but distance from being wrapped up in the whole movement tends to add perspective. The problem seems to be the importance people give to stuff. To me, its all just pop music of varying quality and shouldn't be venerated too much.

Bach, Paganini, Brubeck.... venerate away:eyebrows:

walpurgis
30-12-2014, 16:25
Bach, Paganini, Brubeck.... venerate away:eyebrows:

Pop music of it's time? (dunno 'bout Brubeck)

walpurgis
30-12-2014, 17:22
Oh and don't start me on Queen! :rolleyes:

ReggieB
30-12-2014, 17:48
There is a parallel in my opinion, between the McCartney and Lennon pairing and Phil Collins and Peter Gabriel of Genesis.

Gabriel, much as Lennon did, imparted much of his personal character and thoughts into his music. Whereas McCartney and Collins (once he took the Genesis lead) just made 'pop music' to appeal to the market, simply to make money.

Genesis (post Gabriel), much as Wings, made appealing 'tunes', but not what I'd regard as something to take seriously.

(I feel Lennon's solo music was brilliant by the way)

Just my view.

That's an interesting comparison, though I'd say one difference is that Gabriel just got better after the split. With a few exceptions, neither McCartney nor Lennon bettered the music they created in the Beatle years.

Gordon Steadman
30-12-2014, 18:28
Pop music of it's time? (dunno 'bout Brubeck)

Quite so....to a degree. Mostly written for the church or the rich though. The peasants would have to make do with something a bit common I imagine, whilst getting smashed on mead or cheap beer. Bit like now really:eyebrows:

I do find it hard equating the skills of Bach with the Gallagher brothers.

The Black Adder
30-12-2014, 18:39
That's an interesting comparison, though I'd say one difference is that Gabriel just got better after the split. With a few exceptions, neither McCartney nor Lennon bettered the music they created in the Beatle years.

+1

..Harrison and Ringo just trundled along too... nothing much happened there. Lennon wasn't half pissed off with McCartney though at one stage.

Ninanina
30-12-2014, 20:32
Unfortunately, for some reason, I just can't stand McCartney... so however good his music is I just can't bring myself to listen to him.. I can't explain it but I really dislike the man... :doh:

Canetoad
31-12-2014, 13:01
IMO Yoko Ono is a legend in her own mind and John Lennon was a mummies boy! Listen to the tripe Ono sings on Double Fantasy and you'd have to agree. :ner:

I think McCartney was always the better song writer.

Gazjam
31-12-2014, 14:39
I know, listen to her whining on this classic Track...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRFo_-QsmR8

Happy New Year guys. :)

Gordon Steadman
31-12-2014, 15:59
I know, listen to her whining on this classic Track...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rRFo_-QsmR8

Happy New Year guys. :)

I rather not thanks but Happy New Year anyway:cool:

Canetoad
31-12-2014, 22:33
I rather not thanks but Happy New Year anyway:cool:

:lol:

Same to you Gordo.

RichB
05-01-2015, 01:31
I'll confess to owning 2 wings LPs. They were my dad's and got played fairly regularly when I was growing up. Rod Stewart could do no wrong in our gaff either.

Gordon Steadman
05-01-2015, 09:42
I'll confess to owning 2 wings LPs. They were my dad's and got played fairly regularly when I was growing up. Rod Stewart could do no wrong in our gaff either.
Rod Stewart huh?

Guess who my wife used to listen to before I edificated her proper?

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7564/16016584020_1c82144abd_o.jpg

RichB
05-01-2015, 22:37
Rod Stewart huh?

:lol: nice bikes though

Mr Kipling
05-01-2015, 22:54
Rod Stewart huh?

Aye… You can tell by her hair.