PDA

View Full Version : Quad ESL stands

Gordon Steadman
29-12-2014, 16:34
My lovely wife has a few habits.

The worst is this drive to clean the floor in the music room. She is for ever complaining that the Quads are too heavy and if she moves them, the spike come out of the cups and the floor gets another bit of patina.

The old oak stands are going then and some new see through, hoover under, not have to bother moving at all type stands are going on. I have some elm planks left over from a job so that is what is being used.

The design is pretty standard although I have never liked the three feet type like the original, the always look to dinky to me.

All the sides and feet are cut but I am trying to decide if I should put a top bar on as well. I am leaning toward yes.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7516/16137002281_2748731b79_o.jpg

synsei
29-12-2014, 18:30
That looks very smart Gordon but I need to address your desire for a top bar. In this house if those stands had a top bar with a flat surface they would quickly acquire a population of small nick-knacks such as Wade Whimsies and their ilk which would require removal for dusting. Just a thought ;)

Firebottle
29-12-2014, 18:44
Shirley says yes, and a woman must do her job.
I personally think no, looking good as they are.

:cool: Alan

Gordon Steadman
29-12-2014, 19:05
That looks very smart Gordon but I need to address your desire for a top bar. In this house if those stands had a top bar with a flat surface they would quickly acquire a population of small nick-knacks such as Wade Whimsies and their ilk which would require removal for dusting. Just a thought ;)

:)

I would make it round topped in any case. I am lucky in that Ronnie is not a nick-knack person. She doesn't do collecting anything - she just keeps making new clothes!! If anyone covers surfaces, its me. I have finished all the shows until next April so I have woodturnings on overspill from the bedroom shelves. Plus I have toy... no no...model cars in boxes waiting to get displayed.

So on a purely aesthetic basis, Alan is outvoted three to one with one unknown at the mo so I will probably fit one. It would only be quite narrow though, just to frame the panels.

Audio Al
29-12-2014, 20:44
Top bar YES

In my opinion they look unbalance without the top bar

Nice design and workmanship ( as usual ) ;)

Gordon Steadman
29-12-2014, 20:52
Top bar YES

In my opinion they look unbalance without the top bar

Nice design and workmanship ( as usual ) ;)

Thanks Al.

One does one's best:). That's an overwhelming yes then with only two dissenters (one is Ronnie but what does she know?). As it is really only my opinion that matters - as in all things:lol:.... top bar it is.

awkwardbydesign
30-12-2014, 09:23
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/ODU0WDk2Nw==/$(KGrHqN,!nME63S98CJ-BO6w8gk61Q~~60_35.JPG
Simples.
And I say yes anyway, they look unbalanced without. Or remove the bottom rail.

Gordon Steadman
30-12-2014, 16:46
The decision had been made for good or ill.

Just got to finish the bars for the second one and then take it all apart and finish it orf. Probably just oil and a polish.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7489/16146322831_bf75f6ed38_o.jpg

Firebottle
30-12-2014, 17:32
Looks goooooood :stalks:

Audio Al
30-12-2014, 20:16
:doh:

Doh! , someone has already put WD40 nuts and other items on top of them :D

awkwardbydesign
30-12-2014, 20:24
Isn't it handy having tools and timber? I'm not at the same level, but if I want something I generally go and make it. It's hard for me to relate to folks who can't make stuff; my wife's the same, if she wants clothes she either makes or alters.

Gordon Steadman
30-12-2014, 20:37
Isn't it handy having tools and timber? I'm not at the same level, but if I want something I generally go and make it. It's hard for me to relate to folks who can't make stuff; my wife's the same, if she wants clothes she either makes or alters.

The tools and timber certainly help. Its surprising how much of these I did by hand considering that most could have been done with the machines. They are pretty simple of course. Its the connection to the wood that I like and knowing that you can make it do what you want it to is part of the joy.

Now I'm finally retired, I have all the tools from the business (apart from the panel saw) to use so intend to keep busy. I can't stand the thought of becoming yet another ex-pat out here, just sitting in front of the Sky box, drink in hand, expanding rapidly. I reckon I'm one of the few men here of my age that has seen anything below my waist for a long time:eek:

It is hard to understand people who don't make stuff but it was always the case of course. Most do just consume, our society wouldn't work otherwise. Both Ronnie and I were bought up to look after stuff, mend where necessary and make if we could.

Gordon Steadman
30-12-2014, 20:38
:doh:

Doh! , someone has already put WD40 nuts and other items on top of them :D
:lol:

Ammonite Audio
30-12-2014, 21:02
The decision had been made for good or ill.

Just got to finish the bars for the second one and then take it all apart and finish it orf. Probably just oil and a polish.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7489/16146322831_bf75f6ed38_o.jpg

I'd certainly be interested in a pair of these if you are going to be making more.

Gordon Steadman
30-12-2014, 21:16
I'd certainly be interested in a pair of these if you are going to be making more.

Did I mention that I'm retired:lol:

I suspect it will depend how bored I get with what Ronnie is lining up. Work to the house will be taking priority for the next few months and there are several bits of furniture needing restoration. Little things like the headphone stand I can squeeze in but, simple as these stands are, they take a couple of days to make to a commercial standard - I can hide my mistakes on the prototypes.

If you are still interested in the spring, drop me a PM and I'll see how things are in the land of the semi retired.

Thanks for the interest.

awkwardbydesign
31-12-2014, 09:52
I would be interested to see the final colour of the wood. Asuming thats not it! :doh:

Gordon Steadman
31-12-2014, 10:40
I would be interested to see the final colour of the wood. Asuming thats not it! :doh:

I suspect it will be very close. I used this elm for some benches for our neighbour and it hardly changed. I did just wax those so the old might be slightly different. We will see.

Gordon Steadman
01-01-2015, 08:47

I popped some oil on the second one as I was making it and rather like the effect. This is the first time I have tried it on elm. It softens the contrast a bit and is a lovely warm colour.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7552/15975510770_24e220c75c_o.jpg

Gordon Steadman
01-01-2015, 12:30
Heaven has returned to the music room.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7524/15976389330_c19c780317_o.jpg

Not a great stitch. However elm is the new oak. What ever the reason, these sound very much better than the old heavy oak stands. No spikes fitted as yet, might not bother as they sound great as they are.

JazzBones
01-01-2015, 13:19
Heaven has returned to the music room.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7524/15976389330_c19c780317_o.jpg

Not a great stitch. However elm is the new oak. What ever the reason, these sound very much better than the old heavy oak stands. No spikes fitted as yet, might not bother as they sound great as they are.

Very nice Gordon. I noticed the English long bow in the corner, don't the French get a bit peeved at you for such a blatant reminder of their defeats ;) ? I am assuming that none of your fingers are missing as a result?

Ron

Gordon Steadman
01-01-2015, 13:42
Very nice Gordon. I noticed the English long bow in the corner, don't the French get a bit peeved at you for such a blatant reminder of their defeats ;) ? I am assuming that none of your fingers are missing as a result?

Ron

Hi Ron,

I made that for a recent event at a French chatux!! It was a Christmas fair and the last event of the year where I sell my woodturnings. We all had to dress up in medieval costumes and I want as a Robin Hood type character. There was a Frenchman there dressed up in full Crusader gear complete with real sword. I didn't challenge him to a duel or vice versa.

I use a lot of yew and found a piece with about the right curve on it as I didn't really expect to make a working bow. However, now its strung up with proper bow strings, its astonishing powerful. I made it to the dimensions of a 65lb bow. It takes a bit of pulling. I also did a quiver full of arrows. Most are short fakes but I made one to work. I did a test fire and the damn thing went right through our shed door from about 60 ft away. I now know why bowmen wear protective leather pads on sleeve and pulling fingers. I had the one on the arm but the fingers on my right hand lost a few layers of skin - just from one pull. You can see why they were so effective in battle.

The Quads are getting up to full charge now and sounding better and better. There was a slight muddiness which I wasn't really aware of previously, especially in the bass. Good idea of Ronnie's.

JazzBones
01-01-2015, 14:49
In my youth I was keen on archery and soon learnt that leather inner bow arm guard plus draw finger protection was a must as you have found out... I love good wood working skills such as yours. You mentioned on your ESLs the possible application of spikes... consider the application of wood turned (oak or other hardwood) cones to size instead of metal ones, I'm sure you could turn these out yourself, they need not be pointed but domed? I'm not convinced by metal spikes as I'm sure they can project vibrations under certain adverse conditions much like a tuning fork?

Ron

Gordon Steadman
01-01-2015, 15:05
In my youth I was keen on archery and soon learnt that leather inner bow arm guard plus draw finger protection was a must as you have found out... I love good wood working skills such as yours. You mentioned on your ESLs the possible application of spikes... consider the application of wood turned (oak or other hardwood) cones to size instead of metal ones, I'm sure you could turn these out yourself, they need not be pointed but domed? I'm not convinced by metal spikes as I'm sure they can project vibrations under certain adverse conditions much like a tuning fork?

Ron

Ron,

I've turned every sort of support known to man:lol:. You may well be right about the metal. The ones I have are brass but I have another set in steel coming just to test. When I can stop listening long enough I may well have a spike/dome bake off.

The Quads have been playing continuously since this morning and keep drawing me back when I try and do something else!!

JazzBones
01-01-2015, 16:24
Ron,

I've turned every sort of support known to man:lol:. You may well be right about the metal. The ones I have are brass but I have another set in steel coming just to test. When I can stop listening long enough I may well have a spike/dome bake off.

The Quads have been playing continuously since this morning and keep drawing me back when I try and do something else!!

Being of an ancient vintage of person myself an old saying that tells me from time to time that one, can 'over egg the pud', so maybe you could eventually come back to leaving things as they are? But this intriguing hobby of ours has us forever a fiddling and a twiddling to get that last iota of musical pleasure from that pile of electronic boxes and speakers that share equal love as given to a good wife, eh? :lol: By the way whats the before the new 'frames and with the new ones in place' listening experience meant for you?

Looking at your listening set up would it not be nice if one day you could accommodate stacked ESLs... now that would be somethingy else?:wow:

Ron

Gordon Steadman
01-01-2015, 16:49
Being of an ancient vintage of person myself an old saying that tells me from time to time that one, can 'over egg the pud', so maybe you could eventually come back to leaving things as they are? But this intriguing hobby of ours has us forever a fiddling and a twiddling to get that last iota of musical pleasure from that pile of electronic boxes and speakers that share equal love as given to a good wife, eh? :lol: By the way whats the before the new 'frames and with the new ones in place' listening experience meant for you?

Looking at your listening set up would it not be nice if one day you could accommodate stacked ESLs... now that would be somethingy else?:wow:

Ron

Its always easy to be a bit enthusiastic about changes of course, especially when you have made the things yourself. I was perfectly happy with the sound before. Combined with the Leak Stereo20 they were just perfect for the music I listen to, mostly classical guitar, baroque and jazz.

The new stands seem to have cleared a small layer of fuzz. The bass is better in that I can hear exactly how the strings are being bent and the decay seems longer. The treble and midrange has always been superb but now seems that bit superber:eyebrows:

Stacked Quads would mean having to get my second pair back from my nephew. In my room, the bass seems perfectly adequate anyway and I know that the imaging suffers so I doubt it will happen.

JazzBones
01-01-2015, 17:12
Its always easy to be a bit enthusiastic about changes of course, especially when you have made the things yourself. I was perfectly happy with the sound before. Combined with the Leak Stereo20 they were just perfect for the music I listen to, mostly classical guitar, baroque and jazz.

The new stands seem to have cleared a small layer of fuzz. The bass is better in that I can hear exactly how the strings are being bent and the decay seems longer. The treble and midrange has always been superb but now seems that bit superber:eyebrows:

Stacked Quads would mean having to get my second pair back from my nephew. In my room, the bass seems perfectly adequate anyway and I know that the imaging suffers so I doubt it will happen.

You listen to the very same music as me so now I have a better focus on your system. I've never owned ESLs but I have heard them and would not be adverse to owning said speakers but having down sized my home some years ago and not having a separate listening room precludes any thought of ever owning a pair.

Will keep track of your posts as they are of interest to me.

Clicking off now,

Ron

Gordon Steadman
01-01-2015, 18:14
You listen to the very same music as me so now I have a better focus on your system. I've never owned ESLs but I have heard them and would not be adverse to owning said speakers but having down sized my home some years ago and not having a separate listening room precludes any thought of ever owning a pair.

Will keep track of your posts as they are of interest to me.

Clicking off now,

Ron

This has been discussed at length with various people. I am lucky in that my wife cares more about the music than about the decor. When we first met, I was living in a cupboard. The Quads sounded terrific. We moved to a slightly bigger cupboard and they sounded slightly more terrific.

I don't go along with the theory that the ESLs only work in big rooms and well away from walls. So long as there is either absorption or scattering behind them, they work perfectly well. In the afore said cupboard, they were only a foot in front of bookshelves. I enjoy the KEF101s that we use in the snug but if we had to choose, the Quads would be in here with the computers and the woodburner.

I have used the Quads in just about every sized room available and they would still be my first choice of speaker. Spoil yourself and get the priorities right. Throw everything else out:lol:

neskor
02-01-2015, 13:18
If somebody wants to build, here are the plans for ESL stands ;)

Marco
02-01-2015, 14:19
Nice speaker stands, Gordon! :)

It is hard to understand people who don't make stuff but it was always the case of course. Most do just consume, our society wouldn't work otherwise. Both Ronnie and I were bought up to look after stuff, mend where necessary and make if we could.

Hear, hear! I can make or mend bugger all, but when necessary I’d rather enlist the expertise of those who can, than simply chuck something that’s perfectly good away. As such, I despise the attitude of our current ‘disposable society’ :rolleyes:

We all need to become more environmentally friendly!

What gets my goat at the moment are the ENDLESS sales (from the likes of Harveys/DFS, etc) being advertised on TV for mass-produced, shoddily constructed (horrible looking) furniture, especially 3-piece suites. I mean, how long is that stuff meant to last such that it’s promoted in a way that people are encouraged to change it as often as their underpants?? :doh:

Does my nut right in...

Anyway, fortunately, Del has a degree in textile design, so can do pretty much anything with fabrics (including weaving her own cloth on a loom), and my dad is somewhat of a woodworker/carpenter, although not quite at your level. Therefore, lots of things we have are mended/repaired on a regular basis, as well as made from scratch by hand.

Respect, amigo! :cool:

Marco.

Gordon Steadman
02-01-2015, 16:18
If somebody wants to build, here are the plans for ESL stands ;)

That is for a three legged version of course. I nicked the basic idea from one of the companies that rebuilds 57s. I prefer four legs as its more stable. Easy enough to modify though.

Gordon Steadman
02-01-2015, 16:26
Nice speaker stands, Gordon! :)

Hear, hear! I can make or mend bugger all, but when necessary I’d rather enlist the expertise of those who can, than simply chuck something that’s perfectly good away. As such, I despise the attitude of our current ‘disposable society’ :rolleyes:

We all need to become more environmentally friendly!

What gets my goat at the moment are the ENDLESS sales (from the likes of Harveys/DFS, etc) being advertised on TV for mass-produced, shoddily constructed (horrible looking) furniture, especially 3-piece suites. I mean, how long is that stuff meant to last such that it’s promoted in a way that people are encouraged to change it as often as their underpants?? :doh:

Does my nut right in...

Anyway, fortunately, Del has a degree in textile design, so can do pretty much anything with fabrics (including weaving her own cloth on a loom), and my dad is somewhat of a woodworker/carpenter, although not quite at your level. Therefore, lots of things we have are mended/repaired on a regular basis, as well as made from scratch by hand.

Respect, amigo! :cool:

Marco.

Del obviously appreciates good fabric then. When I had the interior design business, the cheapest upholstery fabric we sold was around Ģ50 per metre. Most of what we sold was in the hundreds. When I see the crap curtain fabric they use now it makes me weep. Our local network has suites advertised all the time and you can guarantee that the arms are either very thin or worn through entirely. It's cheap in the short term but then again, maybe there is no long term as people expect to chuck them out after a year or two.

We were given a sofa recently that had been used for dogs. I could see the fabric was pretty good and so a quick dry clean and its great. The arms are still a bit grubby but the fabric has loads of life in it yet. We stopped the sofa going to the dump!!

I expect there will be those who thing we are just GOMs but quality is something to cherish.

Marco
02-01-2015, 17:01
I completely agree, Gordon. Del’s a massive ‘greeny’ and a lover of anything that’s antique and high-quality, from furniture and fabrics to all sorts of things! As indeed am I :)

Not that it’s quite an antique, but the current sofa we’re using in our lounge was bought by Del (from Habitat) when she was a student in the 1980s! I think it cost her about Ģ500 then, which was a fair bit of dosh, but the money was spent by the makers on where it mattered most: the carcass.

The sofa has been re-covered, by her, umpteen times since and fitted with new cushions (to suit the decor where it was being used), so rather than simply being tossed away because it was old or ‘unfashionable’, it’s been used for nearly 30 years, to perfectly good effect.

We’ve always created our own fashion anyway, in terms of interior design, and so have never blindly followed ‘the herd’, like so many of the brainless sheep these days, which I suspect are your average DFS customers - or that of its French equivalent! ;)

Marco.

doom2112
25-03-2015, 21:57
Why dont you hoover the floor in the music room yourself.
Donīt UK men know how to turn it on.
Since iīm from sweden we always split the cleaning of the house with my wife in half.
I would never let her hoover my mucic room.
Mabye the equality between men and women has come a longer way in sweden than in europe but as i already have said.
NEVER LET THE WOMEN HOOVER IN THE MUSIC ROOM!!!!!
MUCH CHEAPER THAN MAKING NEW STANDS.
By the way those stand are nice .
Looks like some German ones from a firm that restores Quad speakers.
Good work.

Desmo
27-03-2015, 09:34
Why dont you hoover the floor in the music room yourself.
Donīt UK men know how to turn it on.
Since iīm from sweden we always split the cleaning of the house with my wife in half.
I would never let her hoover my mucic room.
Mabye the equality between men and women has come a longer way in sweden than in europe but as i already have said.
NEVER LET THE WOMEN HOOVER IN THE MUSIC ROOM!!!!!
MUCH CHEAPER THAN MAKING NEW STANDS.
By the way those stand are nice .
Looks like some German ones from a firm that restores Quad speakers.
Good work.

Ha! my wife is American - I don't think she even knows how to switch the hoover on! She does however still manage to damage hifi. The last time was by dropping a suitcase onto a pair of valve mono blocks. I suppose I was lucky that we just needed to buy one matched quad set of KT77s to replace the damaged ones.