PDA

View Full Version : New TT on a budget.

stairpost
26-12-2014, 18:50
Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my basic Revolver Redwood for something that will offer a bit more SQ, my budget is around £350.

I'm really not sure exactly what to keep an eye out for, there seems to be lots of Thorens decks in that budget as well as the 1210/1200, Michells, Rega's plus loads of others too numerous to mention, I like the Revolver but do fancy an upgrade, my instinct is to hold out for a used RP3.

The TT will be going into a Copland CSA14 and Cura CA10 standmounts.

I did use a low spec LP12 for a couple of years and it was fine, but fussy and definitely had off days, as lovely as it was when it was singing I am not keen to start saving to go down that route again.

All recommendations gratefully received.

Cheers

Rich.

walpurgis
26-12-2014, 19:07
I have a feeling that your budget may need to be bigger to significantly improve on the Revolver.

Gordon Steadman
26-12-2014, 19:18
Maybe a DC motor and better arm/cartridge? I've heard pretty good things about Revolver TTs so I suspect Geoff is right about the budget.

stairpost
26-12-2014, 19:28
That's interesting, thank you both.

I will be using my much loved Linn Adikt cart.

I do actually need to buy a 2nd TT as one has to go into a second system when my partners son takes his RP1 with him when he goes back to Uni, I was hoping that with my budget I could upgrade the Revolver in the main system and put it to use in the 2nd system.

MCRU
26-12-2014, 19:37
Buy a Techie

Up-grade it as funds allow

Sorted

DSJR
26-12-2014, 19:57
The techie is a given on this site, together with other better quality vintage direct drives from the 70's and early 80's. The UK market for 'Top End' Japanese gear was all but killed off in the 80's as the 'terrible two' tightened their stranglehold on what they decided was their version of 'high fidelity' and most numpties in Hifi shops derided direct drives (speed hunting and feedback were the usual excuses I remember). Some good ones are still around here though, but you'll have to do some research on which are good ones and worth persevering.

Older non-quartz Technics direct drives are well worth a look and my favourites are the SL1600/1700 and 1800 models as they had a rudimentary spring suspended sub-tray which helps siting over the previous 1300/1400 and 1500 models, which need some care in siting. the arms are more solid than the 1200/1210mk2> series and capable of working with good MC cartridges with a suitable headshell and better exit wiring. Shedloads better than a Rega IMO!

Spectral Morn
26-12-2014, 21:28
I have a feeling that your budget may need to be bigger to significantly improve on the Revolver.

+ 1

Regards Neil

Marco
26-12-2014, 23:06
Hello all,

I'm looking to upgrade my basic Revolver Redwood for something that will offer a bit more SQ, my budget is around £350.

I'm really not sure exactly what to keep an eye out for, there seems to be lots of Thorens decks in that budget as well as the 1210/1200, Michells, Rega's plus loads of others too numerous to mention, I like the Revolver but do fancy an upgrade, my instinct is to hold out for a used RP3.

The TT will be going into a Copland CSA14 and Cura CA10 standmounts.

I did use a low spec LP12 for a couple of years and it was fine, but fussy and definitely had off days, as lovely as it was when it was singing I am not keen to start saving to go down that route again.

All recommendations gratefully received.

Hi Rich,

What cartridge/arm are you using on the Revolver? If you enjoy the T/Ts basic sound/musical presentation, your £350 might be better spent on upgrading your cartridge than a (potentially ill-conceived) attempt at doing so with your T/T.

Just a thought! :)

Marco.

walpurgis
26-12-2014, 23:20
your £350 might be better spent on upgrading your cartridge than a (potentially ill-conceived) attempt at doing so with your T/T.
Marco.

Yes, those were my thoughts too. The Revolver is a decent TT.

topoxforddoc
26-12-2014, 23:38
Rich,

it will be hard to make a significant change to the vinyl replay hardware with that budget. But I would suggest that you look for a second hand vacuum record cleaning machine (like a Moth). That will easily be within your budget and it will transform your record collection and how it sounds.

stairpost
27-12-2014, 10:16
Hi,

Thanks for all the replies.

The cart I shall be using is a Linn Adikt (xmas pressie from my partner last year so it's staying) I do actually need to buy a TT to replace the one in the 2nd system going off to Uni.

I did think about a 1210/1200 but it's the upgrade requirements that put me off, the biggest thing I didn't enjoy about owning an LP12 was the "you just need to upgrade this to make it sound better" syndrome. I do like the Revolver but I'm quite surprised I couldn't do better for £350, I can push it to £400 if I need to.

Maybe I should just buy another RP1 to replace the one that's going and be done.

Macca
27-12-2014, 10:52
SL1200 with Sumiko headshell and the cork mat. Should come in at £300 or less. Maybe not better than your revolver or an RP3 but will certainly be a change of pace. You can marvel at the build quality compared to the Rev and the Rega too. Alan (Firebottle) had a listen to mine last weekend he thought it was a quality sound. As others have said you could explore another of the classic Jap DD tables but I'm just recommending what I know works well.

Idlewithnodrive
27-12-2014, 11:36
If you can find one, I can't recommend the Sony PS-6750 highly enough.

Can't think of better for the money and comes complete with a decent arm.

Clive197
27-12-2014, 11:43
Buy a Techie

Up-grade it as funds allow

Sorted

Right on Bro.

Clive197
27-12-2014, 11:44
The techie is a given on this site, together with other better quality vintage direct drives from the 70's and early 80's. The UK market for 'Top End' Japanese gear was all but killed off in the 80's as the 'terrible two' tightened their stranglehold on what they decided was their version of 'high fidelity' and most numpties in Hifi shops derided direct drives (speed hunting and feedback were the usual excuses I remember). Some good ones are still around here though, but you'll have to do some research on which are good ones and worth persevering.

Older non-quartz Technics direct drives are well worth a look and my favourites are the SL1600/1700 and 1800 models as they had a rudimentary spring suspended sub-tray which helps siting over the previous 1300/1400 and 1500 models, which need some care in siting. the arms are more solid than the 1200/1210mk2> series and capable of working with good MC cartridges with a suitable headshell and better exit wiring. Shedloads better than a Rega IMO!

As usual David, absolutely right.

stairpost
28-12-2014, 14:30
Thanks again for all the input.

I have just spotted a 1210 in well looked after condition for £190 locally. I used many a 1200/1210 in clubs in the 90's so I think I shall give that a try, with the Sumiko headshell.

If that falls through I think I'll just post a wanted ad in private exhibitions and see what comes up.

MCRU
28-12-2014, 15:38
Thanks again for all the input.

I have just spotted a 1210 in well looked after condition for £190 locally. I used many a 1200/1210 in clubs in the 90's so I think I shall give that a try, with the Sumiko headshell.

If that falls through I think I'll just post a wanted ad in private exhibitions and see what comes up.

I will send you a free cork mat if you pm your address as a MCRU xmas freebie!

The Techy will serve you well.

DSJR
28-12-2014, 15:46
Apart from the headshell for trickier cartridges, mat possibly and siting (feet?), a stock techie is absolutely fine as-is IMO. No offence at all intended, but some here have to have the 'best' of everything and this is what's spawned all these 'upgrades' which cost a small fortune!

Suitable cartridges for the stock model could be the Denon DL110 (works a treat I'm told) and Ortofon 2M Blue (not as 'scratchy' as the Red is reported to be - I only know the previous 510 and OM10 equivalents and these are similar to the 2M Red I understand).

stairpost
28-12-2014, 15:49
I will send you a free cork mat if you pm your address as a MCRU xmas freebie!

The Techy will serve you well.

That's incredibly generous, Thank you.

MCRU
28-12-2014, 16:01
Apart from the headshell for trickier cartridges, mat possibly and siting (feet?), a stock techie is absolutely fine as-is IMO. No offence at all intended, but some here have to have the 'best' of everything and this is what's spawned all these 'upgrades' which cost a small fortune!

Suitable cartridges for the stock model could be the Denon DL110 (works a treat I'm told) and Ortofon 2M Blue (not as 'scratchy' as the Red is reported to be - I only know the previous 510 and OM10 equivalents and these are similar to the 2M Red I understand).

It's only a small fortune if you can't afford it (that does not mean anyone in particular).

As I type I am reading a review of the mike new bearing in this months hifi world magazine, I sent it to them, at no point in the review does Noel say its too expensive, it all boils down to one thing, if it makes you happier than before you had it, it's money well spent. Isn't that what life should be about?

Roy S
28-12-2014, 16:18
If you can find one, I can't recommend the Sony PS-6750 highly enough.

Can't think of better for the money and comes complete with a decent arm.

+1, I picked up a mint example a couple of weeks back for less than £250

MCRU
28-12-2014, 16:21
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sony-PS-6750-Vintage-High-End-Turntable-/231410283958?pt=Plattenspieler&hash=item35e120b5b6