PDA

View Full Version : Flashing light on amptastic T amp

kendun
26-12-2014, 10:24
Hi folks,

My amptastic t amp (the first version) has stopped working since yesterday and when I power it on, the light aroung the volume control keeps flashing. Does anyone know what this could be?

I was looking forward to listening to a few tunes over my PC setup, but I'll have to give it a miss now. Can anyone help please ???:please::please:

Puffin
26-12-2014, 10:38
There is an online manual for the Mini1 (can't find one for the T amp) but it says this

The
Mini-*‐1 amplifier has short circuit (over-*‐current), over-*‐temperature and speaker protection. The loudspeaker connections will be isolated and the status LED will flash to indicate one of these conditions. Please switch off the amplifier and check the wiring before continuing.

I would check that none of the speaker wires are touching.

kendun
26-12-2014, 10:49
There is an online manual for the Mini1 (can't find one for the T amp) but it says this

The
Mini-*‐1 amplifier has short circuit (over-*‐current), over-*‐temperature and speaker protection. The loudspeaker connections will be isolated and the status LED will flash to indicate one of these conditions. Please switch off the amplifier and check the wiring before continuing.

I would check that none of the speaker wires are touching.

Thank you Rob,

I have disconnected the speaker wires and connected again to ensure that they are not touching, things are still the same..Wonder whether its anything to do with th epower cord??

Puffin
26-12-2014, 11:55
I believe that your amp uses the Tripath TA 2024 power chip. These are very flaky if not teamed with the protection circuits that Amptastic have added. Ordinarily if you were to by mistake touch the speaker wires together whilst the amp is on it would be curtains for the amp. Your amp has short circuit (which I assume to cover the touching together of the speaker wires), over current, or over temperature protection. As to the over current protection, it could be that the power supply is faulty and is triggering the fault condition. You would need a multimeter with a current testing facility to check this. As to over temp protection, this I would assume, would only be triggered if the amp were driven hard and the chip got very hot. However I would also assume that if this happened, it would reset itself once it had cooled down. You weren't having a party yesterday wid da bangin' choons is it:gig:

jandl100
26-12-2014, 11:56
TA2020 chip. :)

I've had quite a few of these little wonders and ne'er a problem.

Puffin
26-12-2014, 12:06
Too many chips and not enough sauce! :)

kendun
26-12-2014, 12:12
I believe that your amp uses the Tripath TA 2024 power chip. These are very flaky if not teamed with the protection circuits that Amptastic have added. Ordinarily if you were to by mistake touch the speaker wires together whilst the amp is on it would be curtains for the amp. Your amp has short circuit (which I assume to cover the touching together of the speaker wires), over current, or over temperature protection. As to the over current protection, it could be that the power supply is faulty and is triggering the fault condition. You would need a multimeter with a current testing facility to check this. As to over temp protection, this I would assume, would only be triggered if the amp were driven hard and the chip got very hot. However I would also assume that if this happened, it would reset itself once it had cooled down. You weren't having a party yesterday wid da bangin' choons is it:gig:

I have removed all wires i.e. speaker wires, interconnects etc and switched it on and it's still the same, the light's just flashing. I guess the unit's on its way out as a repair would be similar to the original cost of this amp...
I dont drive the amp hard at all and as I don't have access to testing facilities, I guess the amp's bound for the bin now...

Puffin
26-12-2014, 12:14
A phone call to Amptastic might be worth doing. If they value their reputation they should offer to have a look at it. You never know they might just replace it. The boards used to make these amps are pretty cheap.

kendun
26-12-2014, 12:54
A phone call to Amptastic might be worth doing. If they value their reputation they should offer to have a look at it. You never know they might just replace it. The boards used to make these amps are pretty cheap.

Thank you Rob, will do that in the New Year. Off to headphones for a bit now.

DSJR
26-12-2014, 13:15
Not sure about a replacement, but as long as the chips are still in stock, it should be easy for a techie to replace it. Believe me, it takes NOTHING to blow an output tranny (or voltage regulator in my case!!!). It's my recommendation to ALWAYS use shrouded or part shrouded 4mm plugs as there's too much risk with bare strands in terminals so close together...

Ali Tait
26-12-2014, 13:22
Chip amps are protected against shorts, they shut down automatically.

Puffin
26-12-2014, 13:51
Not all are.

Ali Tait
26-12-2014, 14:17
Most I would say.

Ali Tait
26-12-2014, 14:20
At least the Tripath ones AFAIK.

Firebottle
26-12-2014, 15:53
Have you tried it with a different power supply kendun?
It could just be that the power supply has a fault.............

Cheers, Alan

kendun
26-12-2014, 16:15
Have you tried it with a different power supply kendun?
It could just be that the power supply has a fault.............

Cheers, Alan

Hi Alan,
I'm going to hunt around and see if I have a spare power supply/adapter and will have a go.

Puffin
31-12-2014, 13:37
Any update on this?