PDA

View Full Version : Marantz CD-65DX

raygreen
23-12-2014, 20:40
There are posts relating to some of the best Marantz CD players around. I have not seen this one listed but does anyone know where this would stand.

I have read that the mechanism is a Phillips and also has a very good DAC in there. Sound wise?

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 21:00
There are posts relating to some of the best Marantz CD players around. I have not seen this one listed but does anyone know where this would stand.

I have read that the mechanism is a Phillips and also has a very good DAC in there. Sound wise?

I don't know that one. Phillips and Marantz have shared development and parts across various CD players. I'd Google for reviews.

Spectral Morn
23-12-2014, 21:22
It and the CD75 were contemporaries of the first version of the CD94, built quality was very plasticky (benefited from good isolation) sound quality was good, typical TDA 1541 but the CD85 and the 94 were much better CD players.

There were SE versions of both the 65 and 75, these players push the envelope a bit but still are bested by the 94 and 85, due to their superior DACs, configuration and much better build quality.

I owned a CD65 se (at the time) and I enjoyed it at the time but the CD85 I bought as an upgrade was quiet a bit better and the 94 mk2 that followed a lot better still.

As with all TDA 1541 players chip temperature affects sound quality so left on they sound much better than from cold.

Regards Neil

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 21:39
If you're just after a decent CD player at sensible money. Have a look for a Rotel RCD-951, NAD 524 or Pioneer PD-S505/PD-S505 Precision or PD-S703. Each offers surprisingly good sound quality. The PD-S505 Precision being the best (I have a couple. Nice).

raygreen
23-12-2014, 22:53
If you're just after a decent CD player at sensible money. Have a look for a Rotel RCD-951, NAD 524 or Pioneer PD-S505/PD-S505 Precision or PD-S703. Each offers surprisingly good sound quality. The PD-S505 Precision being the best (I have a couple. Nice).

Thank you. Just looking to improve my system a little for a modest outlay. Picked up the Denon PMA-350SE Amp (Thank you Geoff) and an upgrade on my current Arcam Alpha CD may be worthwhile so I will look into these suggestions. I will add a Beresford Caiman as well some time soon in order to be ably to stream music and this will hopefully improve the changes further.

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 23:30
If you spot a Theta DAC (any Theta DAC) at a sensible price, grab it. They are all great, improving as you go up in price. Event the little Theta Cobalt is a goodie. I've had a few and never been disappointed. Moved on to a couple of Monarchy Audio DACs now, but it cost me a few quid. The Thetas are way better than anything I've heard from Cambridge or Audio Alchemy (amongst many others) for instance.

Ninanina
23-12-2014, 23:33
these players push the envelope a bit but still are bested by the 94 and 85, due to their superior DACs, configuration and much better build quality.

The 80 & 85 seem to be fairly similar in specs.. I had a CD80 on trial and to be honest I could not tell much difference between that and my then current CD50se.. The CD80 was heavier and had nice 'cheeks' on it but it did not sound that much better... The specs are pretty similar::: the same'ish chipset but the mechanism is slightly different: Philips TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) + Philips CDM-1 Mk II for the CD80 and Philips TDA1541A + Philips CDM-4/19 for the CD50

Personally I would not fork out the extra money for the CD80 (and maybe the CD85) over a CD50/se. CD80's are going for about £300 on eBay while the CD50/se is about £60. If you like the heavier build of the CD80 then fine but to my ears there was very little in it sound wise... I hope that may help...

Of course these are only my thoughts and in my opinion ;)

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 23:52
Are you still happy with the DV-717 + Rega DAC combo Bev?

I personally think you're missing out on CD quality with them.

"Of course these are only my thoughts and in my opinion" :)

Ninanina
24-12-2014, 00:06
Are you still happy with the DV-717 + Rega DAC combo Bev?

I personally think you're missing out on CD quality with them.

"Of course these are only my thoughts and in my opinion" :)

I am still happy with the 717 and the Rega Dac, however I now have an Audio Note 1x Signature Dac and getting used to that.. my initial thoughts are very interesting.. the AN has a kind of 'organic' sound which is quite addictive..

Why do you say I am missing out on CD quality Geoff? ;)

walpurgis
24-12-2014, 00:19
Why do you say I am missing out on CD quality Geoff? ;)

I have the DV-717 and it is not as good as my CD players (on CDs).

The Audio Note may be a 'goodie', I've not tried one.

Ninanina
24-12-2014, 00:22
I have the DV-717 and it is not as good as my CD players (on CDs).
The Audio Note may be a 'goodie', I've not tried one.

Geoff so do you think I should change my transport? Any suggestions much appreciated... without spending a fortune.. the new AN Dac is quite an eye opener to be honest, but I'm always interested in new stuff, as you probably know... thanks :D:D

I still have my CD50 which, for reasons I can't explain, I've never tried with either Dac... It's been sitting under my bed somewhere for years..:)

walpurgis
24-12-2014, 00:40
Not for me to say what you should use Bev.

I'm using a Meridian 507 and a Pioneer PD-S505 Precision. The Meridian has higher resolution, but the Pioneer is just so musical. The 505 Precision is the Tom Evans modded version of the basic 505 by the way.

I also have a recently bought Trichord Research 'Digital Turntable' that I'm still getting used to. It's the same size as the DV-717 (massive) and sounds pretty damn good so far.

Ninanina
24-12-2014, 00:50
Not for me to say what you should use Bev.

I'm using a Meridian 507 and a Pioneer PD-S505 Precision. The Meridian has higher resolution, but the Pioneer is just so musical. The 505 Precision is the Tom Evans modded version of the basic 505 by the way.

I also have a recently bought Trichord Research 'Digital Turntable' that I'm still getting used to. It's the same size as the DV-717 (massive) and sounds pretty damn good so far.

Hi Geoff I had thought about one of the Pioneer Stable Platter models, they seem pretty good value as well...does the Tom Evans bit make much difference?

walpurgis
24-12-2014, 00:52
Hi Geoff I had thought about one of the Pioneer Stable Platter models, they seem pretty good value as well...does the Tom Evans bit make much difference?

Oh yes! Bigtime!!

Ninanina
24-12-2014, 00:55
Oh yes! Bigtime!!

I will look out for one if one comes up at the right price...thanks Geoff.. :D

agk
24-12-2014, 08:22
Try that CD50 out Nina. It might surprise you what lurks under the bed.

Spectral Morn
24-12-2014, 09:22
The 80 & 85 seem to be fairly similar in specs.. I had a CD80 on trial and to be honest I could not tell much difference between that and my then current CD50se.. The CD80 was heavier and had nice 'cheeks' on it but it did not sound that much better... The specs are pretty similar::: the same'ish chipset but the mechanism is slightly different: Philips TDA1541A-S1 (Single Crown) + Philips CDM-1 Mk II for the CD80 and Philips TDA1541A + Philips CDM-4/19 for the CD50

Personally I would not fork out the extra money for the CD80 (and maybe the CD85) over a CD50/se. CD80's are going for about £300 on eBay while the CD50/se is about £60. If you like the heavier build of the CD80 then fine but to my ears there was very little in it sound wise... I hope that may help...

Of course these are only my thoughts and in my opinion ;)

If I recall right, I will check my Marantz history book later, the CD 80 was a follow on from the other items mentioned, as was the CD 50 too, not contempory to the 65/75/85 or the 94, though I think the 94 km 2 was still available at the time the 80 and 50 were.

Thing is if these players were compared casually, not fully warmed up ( controversial I know but in my direct experience that was about a week) then I am not surprised to read your comments but even so I feel, recall the differences as being more obvious but it was only after full warm up that the full performance level was heard. If I also recall right the earlier players sounded a bit better than the later ones and the switch to bitstream was a real drop in sound quality. The Marantz CD 11 was a real flop, even in LE mode.

Regards Neil

raygreen
27-12-2014, 23:23
OK I've picked up a 'new' Denon PMA-720AE from Tony (twotone) and playing through Mission 751's when it arrives.

My next dilemma is do I go for another budget amp. I did try for a Rotel RCD951 which I do like the sound of from reviews but missed out. From recommendations I have been considering changing my own original Arcam Alpha for
(1) Marantz CD63SE
(2) Technics SL-PG490

Three questions really;
(1) Both available for a very little but would I be really getting any noticeable difference over my Arcam.
(2) Would I be better investing in a DAC
(3) Would the partner Denon CD (Denon DCD-720AE) be a better partnership

walpurgis
27-12-2014, 23:47
For the cost of a one of those CD players and a DAC, you could have this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Meridian-506-24-bit-CD-Player-/171604080438?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiF i_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item27f4667736

It's the late 24 bit version and the sound quality is superb!

I've got the 507, which is basically the same unit with a different drawer assembly. It's excellent.

I don't think this one comes with a remote (but you could ask), they are available on eBay for around £50.

Just up the road from you too! :)

Just found a review that says it all really: http://www.tnt-audio.com/sorgenti/506_e.html

agk
28-12-2014, 08:52
(1) Nope.
(2) Depends on budget.
(3) Than the Arcam and Denon? Imo? No.

raygreen
28-12-2014, 10:00
(1) Nope.
(2) Depends on budget.
(3) Than the Arcam and Denon? Imo? No.

(2) I was thinking of the Beresford Caiman or the Bushmaster II
(1+3) Will stick with my old faithful

Geoff the Meridian sounds excellent. I like the look too! The DAC was going to wait a while otherwise I might end up being kicked out of this place and I'll be resorting to the van stereo!! Very tempted though and would be a better move than going sideways with a cheap sideways CD move. The DAC was just as much for the purpose of streaming music from computer as opposed to improving the quality of CD.

StanleyB
28-12-2014, 16:29
The DAC was just as much for the purpose of streaming music from computer as opposed to improving the quality of CD.
Nothing wrong with getting a DAC just to stream music. But there are very few things more rewarding and exciting than to hear how the Caiman MKII managed to recover and play back previously unheard or unnoticed musical details from a CD that you might have owned and listened to for several decades. That's perhaps the most notable observation that owners of the Caiman mention over and over again. Considering that our hearing declines in performance as we get older, just being able to make that kind of observation is no mean feat in itself.

Ninanina
30-12-2014, 20:22
I still have my CD50 which, for reasons I can't explain, I've never tried with either Dac... It's been sitting under my bed somewhere for years..:)

I've just put the CD50 back into the system and it sound pretty good, using it with the Audio Note Dac 1x Signature... maybe I should have tried it out before :doh:

agk
31-12-2014, 08:18
Try that CD50 out Nina. It might surprise you what lurks under the bed.

Ahem.