PDA

View Full Version : Yer just can't beat a bit of Fourplay.

Floyddroid
23-12-2014, 18:00
Just wondered if there are any Fourplay fans on the forum? been playing the hell out of Haertfelt and Journey this past week not realising just how astounding they are. Does anyone know if any of their albums are avialable on vinyl?

Which is your favourite album or track by this amazing band?

stairpost
23-12-2014, 21:11
If you were talking about the Fred Wesley track, then yes I'm a huge fan, but I think that might be a different fourplay.

Anthony K
23-12-2014, 23:45
Hi Floyd have been a fan of fourplay for years loved the album Between the sheets from their early days but my favourites would be 4 and x , both superb. Have heartfelt which is also great.favorite track someone to love.
I know the early albums at least fourplay and between the sheets were issued on vinyl so check second hand stores the more recents stuff I doubt.

Stratmangler
24-12-2014, 04:19
Heartfelt and Journey are both Larry Carlton era Fourplay, and Larry Carlton has played a part in a number of great bands (in the mid to late 70s he was the first call player on the LA recording session scene), either as a full member (The Crusaders) or as a hired gun (Steely Dan).

Larry's own solo work is worth checking out too.

I haven't really listened to any of the Fourplay stuff, but I'm going to now :cool:

(Edit - just been doing a bit of an Amazon hit, and have the 2 albums mentioned in the OP, plus X arriving sometime in the new year)

Floyddroid
24-12-2014, 06:43
Thanks for the info Anthony. I will sound out the early albums on vinyl. My favourite track is Bali Run so if i can get that on a record i will be well chuffed. great to knoe that there are other Fourplay lovers on the forum.
Hi Floyd have been a fan of fourplay for years loved the album Between the sheets from their early days but my favourites would be 4 and x , both superb. Have heartfelt which is also great.favorite track someone to love.
I know the early albums at least fourplay and between the sheets were issued on vinyl so check second hand stores the more recents stuff I doubt.

Floyddroid
24-12-2014, 06:51
No sir, fourplay are...Bob James/Keys, Harvey Mason/Drums, Nathen East/Bass and either lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton or since 2010 a newby on Guitar. One of the best jazz fusion/smooth jazz outfits around. I could listen to them all night.
If you were talking about the Fred Wesley track, then yes I'm a huge fan, but I think that might be a different fourplay.

Anthony K
24-12-2014, 08:08
The newby is smooth jazz legend Chuck Loeb who done some great albus in the late nineties. I had the pleasure of seeing him with Bob James in 2000

Floyddroid
24-12-2014, 12:37
Thanks for the heads up Anthony i will sound him out.
The newby is smooth jazz legend Chuck Loeb who done some great albus in the late nineties. I had the pleasure of seeing him with Bob James in 2000

stairpost
24-12-2014, 14:11
No sir, fourplay are...Bob James/Keys, Harvey Mason/Drums, Nathen East/Bass and either lee Ritenour, Larry Carlton or since 2010 a newby on Guitar. One of the best jazz fusion/smooth jazz outfits around. I could listen to them all night.

Ooh that does sound like something I would really enjoy, I have One, Two and Three and enjoy them all.

I shall have a google.

Nigel
24-12-2014, 15:35
You all should be playing their Christmas album, "Snowbound."

Lynster
27-12-2014, 06:31
I really like fourplay as well though I've only four of their CDs to date, no LPs though. Very hard to pick a favourite but I always feel myself relaxing into the groove when I start out with 'Fields of Gold' as the first track of Journey.
What led me to fourplay was that I've always been particularly fond of Bob James and had a number of his vinyl releases since way back. Following particular artists can get a little convoluted sometimes as one suddenly discovered them playing with another group and you hadn't realised this at first. Good result in the end though.:)

Anthony K
29-12-2014, 00:40
Check his albums LIsten and the moon the stars and the setting sun
I have about 400 smooth jazz CDs I used to follow the genre religiously but find the last 5 years rather uninventive but for few

Nigel
01-01-2015, 16:53
Spot on Anthony. The demise of the so called smooth jazz genre is sadly plain to see. I can't think of one excellent album from 2014. I believe a lot of US radio stations have ceased to exist or changed formats. I guess top quality artists that date from a time before it was called smooth jazz will continue but sadly those artists are well into retirement age.

Anthony K
02-01-2015, 00:14
The odd thing is Nigel on research it was not as if the radio station audience diminished in the USA . Smooth jazz was becoming quite popular . For some reason or another the stations just pulled the rug. A similar thing happened regarding the minimal tech on US radio. My thoughts are that THEY don't want calm relaxing sedative music selling, but rather the likes of high profile shit hop artists like Jayz and commercial fuckery like gaga and one direction.
Please excuse my language.