PDA

View Full Version : Best Progressive Rock / Canterbury Scene Albums?

dantheman91
22-12-2014, 14:23
Hi Guys

Starting to ease my way into Prog Rock , Canterbury Scene , Psych but also Prog Folk too like fairport & Sandy :) Looking like deep pockets are needed :lol:

I love stuff like Caravan , Family , Yes , National Heath , Hatfield & The North , VDGG , The Soft Machine , Fair port , ELP , Tull . I have a fair few but looking to expand my collection any ideal of what to look out for eaither CD or Vinyl i have about 65 prog vinyl & possibly more in the CD's but open to new areas.

Name you best album and i might like it too :D

Thanks
Dan

Barry
22-12-2014, 15:21
If you like Family, then you might like Audience (start with 'Friends, Friends, Friend', then try 'The House on the Hill').

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/513QH0J3XVL.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41PfyNI32DL.jpg

If you like Soft Machine then you could investigate Robert Wyatt (an acquired taste), either solo or as Matching Mole, as well as the group Egg (‘The Civil Surface’, ‘East of Eden’ and ‘Polite Force’).

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51--D3gGyfL.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/81dsVonlwbL._SL1500_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71kw71NUR6L._SL1362_.jpg

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41sYTExcKBL._SX425_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41IU7WqHkpL.jpg
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51MV4UVFPZL._SY355_.jpg

You might also like to try Jethro Tull, King Crimson, The Nice and Emerson Lake and Palmer.

You can find much of this material on YouTube and Spotify, so "taste and try before you buy"! :)
Hope this helps - it's only a start on what could be a long but fascinating journey for you.

(If André were still posting here, I'm sure he could advise you of dozens more!)

Wakefield Turntables
22-12-2014, 16:36
+1 for matching mole and Egg.

struth
22-12-2014, 16:43
Grew up on early Family; Rodger Chapman et al. The Groundhogs early stuff was great too, as was so Cream.

Oh, and Joe Cocker's mad dogs and Englishmen tour is a must.

Nigel
23-12-2014, 09:29
Gentle Giant, PFM's English language albums.

Covenant
23-12-2014, 09:45
Big big train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKe1FdztHGM

dantheman91
23-12-2014, 10:35
Big big train:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKe1FdztHGM

Local and excellent Thanks jerry

MikeMusic
23-12-2014, 16:04
Anything Caravan did
Most of Robert Wyatt, especially the stunning Rock Bottom
Just about everything mentioned above this
Kevin Ayers had some jaw dropping tracks in fairly good albums
Hatfields for sure
National Health
Isotope I think had roots in Canterbury
Camel so so for me

<thinks>
There is even a page in Wikipedia
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canterbury_scene

Floyddroid
23-12-2014, 18:05
One of my faves is Blind Dog At St Dunston by Caravan.
Hi Guys

Starting to ease my way into Prog Rock , Canterbury Scene , Psych but also Prog Folk too like fairport & Sandy :) Looking like deep pockets are needed :lol:

I love stuff like Caravan , Family , Yes , National Heath , Hatfield & The North , VDGG , The Soft Machine , Fair port , ELP , Tull . I have a fair few but looking to expand my collection any ideal of what to look out for eaither CD or Vinyl i have about 65 prog vinyl & possibly more in the CD's but open to new areas.

Name you best album and i might like it too :D

Thanks
Dan

Robprog
23-12-2014, 23:31
If you like prog folk then try the new album by Moulettes called Constellations

Barry
24-12-2014, 12:37
One of my faves is Blind Dog At St Dunston by Caravan.

I haven't played that in an age!

I used to live near Canterbury when I was doing postgraduate work at the University of Kent. There is (or was ) a pub called 'The Bishop's Finger' in the St Dunston area of Canterbury (just outside the West Gate depicted on the cover of the album) - which attracted the student scatological name of "The Bishop's Finger up St Dunston's" (it being located on the hill leading up to the University).

Oh and +1 to Kevin Ayres.

dantheman91
26-12-2014, 17:50
Hi Guys,

Just browsing on amazon and came by this Record Label: = Esoteric Records also go by Cherry Red Records

Just looking through their back catalog and theirs some wonderful stuff in their like Wigwam , Web , Claire Hamill , Man , FM , Bill Fay , Rare Bird.

Some are so so cheap its fantastic. Just bought a few for £2.99 each now theirs a few bargains on their if yer a prog fan.

:)

The Barbarian
13-01-2015, 15:59
Don't like that Pigeon hole 'Canterbury' thing .. Ok some suff that is kinda pastorial come canterbury-ish which i suppose would fit in nicely
Arzachel 'Arzachel'.. Egg 'Egg', 'Polite Force', 'Civil Surface'.. Tetragon 'Nature', 'Stretch'..Trikolon 'Cluster'.. Cressida 'Cressida', 'Asylum'.. Early Gong stuuf 'Magick Brother', 'Camenbert Electrique', 'Continental Circus'.. Daevid Allen 'Banana Moon'.. Khan 'Space Shanty'.. Aardvark 'Aadvark'

The very first VDGG LP 'The Aerosol Grey Machine'..

Regarding the Esoteric Recordings' CDee's i can short list them all to what i think is worth having..

Spectral Morn
13-01-2015, 16:03
Don't like that Pigeon hole 'Canterbury' thing .. Ok some suff that is kinda pastorial come canterburyish which i suppose would fit in nicely
Arzachel 'Arzachel'.. Egg 'Egg', 'Polite Force', 'Civil Surface'.. Tetragon 'Nature', 'Stretch'..Trikolon 'Cluster'.. Cressida 'Cressida', 'Asylum'.. Early gong stuuf 'Magick Brother', 'Camenbert Electrique', 'Continental Circus'}.. Daevid Allen 'Banana Moon'.. Khan 'Space Shanty'.. Aardvark 'Aadvark'

The very first VDGG LP 'The Aerosol Grey Machine'..

Regarding the Esoteric Recordings' CDee's i can short list them all to what i think is worth having..

Please do, nice to have you back.

Love Khan's - Space Shanty album.

Regards Neil

The Barbarian
13-01-2015, 16:52
Aardvark 'Aardvark' {Great canterbury style originally on Decca Nova}
Asgard 'In The Realm Of Asgeard'{Best band to be signed to The Moody Blues Threashold Record label}
Big Sleep 'Bluebell Wood' {Superb LP connections to Man/Ancient Grease/Eyes Of Blue}
Graham Bond 'Mighty Graham Bond' & 'Love Is The Law' {My fav two albums from him recorded in USA loads of Mellotron}
Arthur Brown & Kingdom Come 'Galactic Zoo Dossier' & 'Kingdom Come'{some of the best eva Prog workouts}
Circus 'Circus' {Class band with Mel Collins prior to joining King Crimson}
CMU 'Open Spaces' {Superb crossover prog, simple superb female singer, Proper name: Contemporary Music Unit. This would cost you a small fortune on the original Transatlantic label}
Cressida 'Vertigo Years' {First Two albums}
Demon Fuzz 'Afreaka!' {Awesome black band simular to Cymandi}
The Dog That Bit People 'The Dog That Bit People'{Nice nice nice has very early BJH sound in places}
Bob Downes 'Electric City' {Genius what more can i say}
Earth And Fire 'Song Of The Marching Children'{Superb Dutch band with female singer, this album is very good, you may possibly like 'Atlantis' their third LP if you like this
East Of Eden 'Mercator Projected'{Absolute killar LP originally on Decca Deram Records}
Egg 'Egg', 'The Polite Force' & 'Civil Surface' {One of the best bands of their time}
Fat Mattress 'Fat Mattress' & 'Fat Mattress II'{Band born while Noel Redding was still in Jimi Hendrix Experience, FMII CD has the unreleased FMIII album}
Fire 'Magic Shoemaker' {Really a concept album story about a shoemaker superb & very rare 60's album}
Fuzzy Duck 'Fuzzy Duck'{Killar heavy Prog}
Gilliard 'Strange Pleasure' & 'New Dawn' {Would be nice for Canterbury fans, totally superb albums without a doubt}
Ginhouse 'Ginhouse' {Mega rare heavy prog, a must have}
The Gods 'Genesis' & 'To Samuel A Son' {Pre Uriah Heep}
The Greatest Show On Earth 'Horizons' & 'The Going Is Easy' {Easily one of the best artists on Harvest records without a doubt}
The Norman Haines Band 'Den Of Iniquity' {Locomotive's Keyboard man, Mega rare mega good}
Hawkwind 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time'{Easily their best album, last one with Lemmy}
Spooky Tooth With Pierre Henry 'Ceremony'{My fav Spookey LP great but the sound effects ie: the hammer anvil is annoying how it's been mixed}
Julians Treatment 'A Time Before This' {Sci-Fi novelist come Prog Keyboard man Killar album}
Juian Jay Savarin 'Waiters On The Dance'{again Julian Jay Savarin LP equally as good, different female singer to his 'Waiters' album}
Kayak 'See See The Sun' {Dutch prog band, this album from '73' is very simular to Gentle Giant in places}
Locomotive 'We Are Everything You See' {Norman Haines band from Birmingham, totally fantastic, originally on the Parlophone label ££££££}
Man 'Revelation' & 2Oz Plastic With A Hole In The Middle'{Best two LP's of there's imho.. A very naught track on the 1st LP lol}
Murphy Blend 'First Loss'{Brilliant German band must have}
Out Of Focus 'Wake Up' & 'Out Of Focus' {easily the best Krautrock band of their time, stick to these two tho}
PFM 'Photos Of Ghosts', 'The World Became The World' & 'Chocolate Kings'{Classic Italian Symphonic proggers}
Quatermass 'Quatermass' {Awesome heavy Prog originally on the Harvest imprint}
Ramases 'Glass Top Coffin' {2nd & last album from Ramases & Sel, must have cos it a beauty}
Rare Bird 'Rare Bird' & 'As Your Mind Flies By'{My 2nd fav prog band, dont go past these two LP's thos cos the key to the band graham Field had left to form Fields with Alan Barry & Andy McCulloch who had been the drummer on King Crimson's 'Lizard' album }
Room 'Pre-Flight' {Another early prog band with female vocals, totally superb}
Samurai 'Samurai' {This was the band web, as brilliant if not better than 'I Spider}
Pete Sinfield 'Still'{King Crimson/ELP/PFM Lyrics man classic}
Socrates 'Phos' {This is Socrates Drank The Conium band with Vangelis in charge, gone are the very early Fleetwood Mac esq blues sound}
Spontanious Combustion 'Spontanious Combustion' & 'Traid'{Another brilliant Harvest act Margetts Brothers, Greg Lake produced the first album}
Titus Groan 'Titus Groan' {Awsome LP originally on Dawn Records}
The United States Of America 'The United States Of America'{American band unusual but brrillian, also try find the American Metaphysical Circus album same band}
Walrus 'Walrus' {Superb Blusey/Prog Jazz/Rock originally on Deram}
Web 'I Spider' {first un with Keys man Dave Lawson, two albums prior to this had an American singer John L.Watson which i can only describe as sounding like Johnny Matthis}

dantheman91
13-01-2015, 17:44
Asgard 'In The Realm Of Asgeard'{Best band to be signed to The Moddy Blues Threashold Record label}
Big Sleep 'Bluebell Wood' {Superb LP connections to Man/Ancient Grease/Eyes Of Blue}
Graham Bond 'Mighty Grahame Bond' & 'Love Is The Law' {My fav two LP's from him recorded in USA loads of Mellotron}
Arthur Brown & Kingdom Come 'Galactic Zoo Dossier' & 'Kingdom Come'{some of the best eva Prog workouts}
Circus 'Circus' {Class band with Mel Collin prior to joining King Crimson}
CMU 'Open Spaces' {Superb crossover prob, simple superb female singer, Proper name: Contemporary Music Unit. This would cost you a small fortune on the original Transatlantic label}
The Dog That Bit People 'The Dog That Bit People'{Nice nice nice has very early BJH sound in places}
Earth And Fire 'Song Of The Marching Children'{Superb Dutch nad with female singer, this LP is very good, you may possibly like 'Atlantis' their third LP if you like this
East Of Eden 'Mercator Projected'{Absolute killar LP orihinally on Decca Deram Records}
Egg 'Egg', 'The Polite Force' & 'Civil Surface' {One of the best bands of their time}
Fat Mattress 'Fat Mattress' & 'Fat Mattress II'{Band born while Noel Redding was still in Jimi Hendric Experience, FMII CD has the unreleased FMII album}
Fire 'Magic Shoemaker' {Really a concept LP story about a shoemaker superb & very rare 60's album}
Gilliard 'Strange Pleasure' & 'New Dawn' {Would be nice for Canterbury fans, totally supen albums without a doubt}
The Greatest Show On Earth 'Horizons' & 'The Going Is Easy' {Easily one of the best artists on Harvest records without a doubt}
The Norman Haines Band 'Den Of Iniquity' {Locomotive's Keyboard man, Mega rare mega good}
Hawkwind 'Warrior On The Edge Of Time'{Easily their best album, last one with Lemmy}
Spooky Tooth With Pierre Henry 'Ceremony'{My fav Spookey LP great but the sound effects ie: the hammer anvil is annoying how it's been mixed}
Julians Treatment 'A Time Before This' {Sci-Fi novelist come Prog Keyboard man Killar album}
Juian Jay Savarin 'Waiters On The Dance'{again Julian Jay Savarin LP equally as good, different female singer to his 'Waters album}
Kayak 'See See The Sun' {Dutch prog band, this album from '73' is very simular to Gentle Giant in places}
Locomotive 'We Are Everything You See' {Norman Heins band from Birmingham, totally fantastic, originally on the Parlophone label ££££££}
Man 'Revelation' & 2Oz Plastic With A Hole In The Middle'{Best two LP's of there's imho.. A very naught track on the 1st LP lol}
Out Of Focus 'Wake Up' & 'Out Of Focus' {easily the best Krautrock band of their time, stick to these two tho}
PFM 'Photos Of Ghosts', 'The World Became The World' & 'Chocolate Kings'{Classic Italian Symphonic proggers}
Ramases 'Glass Top Coffin' {2nd & last album from Ramases & Sel, must have cos it a beauty}
Rare Bird 'Rare Bird' & 'As Your Mind Flies By'{My 2nd fav prog band, dont go past these two LP's thos cos the key to the band grahamme Fields had left}
Samurai 'Samurai' {This was the band web, as brilliant if not better than 'I Spider}
Socrates 'Phos' {This is Socrates Drank The Conium band with Vangelis in charge, gone are the very early Fleetwood Mac esq blues sound}
Spontanious Combustion 'Spontanious Combustion' & 'Traid'{Another brilliant Harvest act Margetts Brothers, Greg Lake produced the first album}
The United States Of America 'The United States Of America'{American band unusual but brrillian, also try find the American Metaphysical Circus album same band}
Web 'I Spider' {first un with Keys man Dave Lawson, two albums prior to this had an American singer John L.Watson which i can only describe as sounding like Johnny Matthis}

Fook thats a list :eek:

Thanks

Spectral Morn
13-01-2015, 23:22
Asgard 'In The Realm Of Asgeard'{Best band to be signed to The Moddy Blues Threashold Record label}
Graham Bond 'Mighty Grahame Bond' & 'Love Is The Law' {My fav two LP's from him recorded in USA loads of Mellotron}
Circus 'Circus' {Class band with Mel Collin prior to joining King Crimson}
CMU 'Open Spaces' {Superb crossover prob, simple superb female singer, Proper name: Contemporary Music Unit. This would cost you a small fortune on the original Transatlantic label}
Earth And Fire 'Song Of The Marching Children'{Superb Dutch band with female singer, this album is very good, you may possibly like 'Atlantis' their third LP if you like this
East Of Eden 'Mercator Projected'{Absolute killar LP originally on Decca Deram Records}
Fat Mattress 'Fat Mattress' & 'Fat Mattress II'{Band born while Noel Redding was still in Jimi Hendrix Experience, FMII CD has the unreleased FMII album}
Fire 'Magic Shoemaker' {Really a concept LP story about a shoemaker superb & very rare 60's album}
Gilliard 'Strange Pleasure' & 'New Dawn' {Would be nice for Canterbury fans, totally supen albums without a doubt}
Juian Jay Savarin 'Waiters On The Dance'{again Julian Jay Savarin LP equally as good, different female singer to his 'Waters album}
Locomotive 'We Are Everything You See' {Norman Heins band from Birmingham, totally fantastic, originally on the Parlophone label ££££££}
Rare Bird 'Rare Bird' & 'As Your Mind Flies By'{My 2nd fav prog band, dont go past these two LP's thos cos the key to the band grahamme Fields had left}

Thank you, appreciate the effort. Some of this I have but most I don't.

Regards Neil

struth
13-01-2015, 23:36
Interestingly I have never heard of any of them :scratch:

The Barbarian
13-01-2015, 23:42
Crikey chaps sorry about the bad spelling mistakes, Thats rush typing for you

struth
13-01-2015, 23:46
I take it back, I know Hawkwind.:) ....I prefer blues/jazz.

The Barbarian
13-01-2015, 23:48
:)

Spectral Morn
13-01-2015, 23:51
hYWcoUgSBa0

Walrus

That's like Dr John meets Return to Forever .... interesting.

Regards Neil

The Barbarian
13-01-2015, 23:59
Some great British Prog Jazz/Rock back then: Heaven/IF/Satisfaction/Ian Carr & Nucleus/Coley/Mike Westbrook/Centipede/Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath etc..

Spectral Morn
14-01-2015, 00:14
Some great British Prog Jazz/Rock back then: Heaven/IF/Satisfaction/Ian Carr & Nucleus/Coley/Mike Westbrook/Centipede/Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath etc..

I have a few of those Nucleus albums - very good.

The Barbarian
14-01-2015, 00:21
I have a few of those Nucleus albums - very good.

Yes i Rate 'Elastic Rock'/'We'll Talk About It Later'/'Belladonna'/'Solor Plexus' & 'Labyrinth'

'Labyrinth' is a beauty it has Norma Winstone on a couple tracks, her voice is superb rather like Cleo Laine..

The Barbarian
14-01-2015, 00:34
Forgot to mention Keith Tippett Group they were great. Keith is hubby to Julie Driscol {Julie Tippetts}. Keith lad was alser a one time member of King Crimson {Wake Of Poseidon/Lizard/Islands} 'Dedicated To You But You We'rnt Listerning' LP is particulaly good awesome Roger Dean Coverart too..

Spectral Morn
14-01-2015, 00:39
Forgot to mention Keith Tippett Group they were great. Keith is hubby to Julie Driscol {Julie Tippetts}. Keith lad was alser a one time member of King Crimson {Wake Of Poseidon/Lizard/Islands} 'Dedicated To You But You We'rnt Listerning' LP is particulaly good awesome Roger Dean Coverart too..

Thanks for the Tip.....