PDA

View Full Version : Cyrus amp and Mission Speakers

raygreen
20-12-2014, 10:15
How would a Cyrus Amp pair up with a pair of Mission 751's?

I have heard that older Cyrus Amps (I, II and III) are better that their newer ones - what's the opinion here? Will a PSX power supply make a real difference here?

agk
20-12-2014, 10:37
Well.
One and two are great, not heard three.
Yes.

istari_knight
20-12-2014, 12:17
I used a III with some 751 once upon a time, sounded good to me ! The III was an upgrade over the Pioneer A400 I was using previously... Not heard one with the PSXR but never felt I was missing out.

Have also used I & II at various times, they're okay but getting very flakey at this age & will require some serious servicing sooner rather than later.

Macca
20-12-2014, 14:04
I've heard a mark I into Mission 761. Terrible, terrible sound; one of the worst 'proper' hi-fi systems I have ever had the misfortune to be subjected to. Worse than anything I've ever put together and that's saying something.

Not sure what was wrong and may well not be the fault of the amp but it put me off them. This was late Eighties so both amp and speakers were relatively new.

istari_knight
20-12-2014, 17:32
I found the I / II good with vinyl sources but rough as rats with digital... What was the source Martin ? IIRC 761's were relatively alright budget jobbies.

Macca
20-12-2014, 18:01
Digital source. A Mission cd player.

istari_knight
20-12-2014, 19:05
Digital source. A Mission cd player.

Say no more ! :trust:

julesd68
20-12-2014, 19:34
How would a Cyrus Amp pair up with a pair of Mission 751's?

I have heard that older Cyrus Amps (I, II and III) are better that their newer ones - what's the opinion here? Will a PSX power supply make a real difference here?

I auditioned both Cyrus I and II when they were originally being sold. I liked II a lot - quite a step up from the cheaper amp, and I remember finding that the PSX really did make a worthwhile difference.

Problem is with these old Cyrus amps is that they can fetch really silly money on ebay.

I must admit the Mission speakers wouldn't be my first choice. Given the nature of the Cyrus house sound, unless you want something really in your face, IMO you need to pair them with a neutral speaker or something on the warm side, otherwise you might find the sound rather fatiguing.

raygreen
21-12-2014, 16:28
I auditioned both Cyrus I and II when they were originally being sold. I liked II a lot - quite a step up from the cheaper amp, and I remember finding that the PSX really did make a worthwhile difference.

Problem is with these old Cyrus amps is that they can fetch really silly money on ebay.

I must admit the Mission speakers wouldn't be my first choice. Given the nature of the Cyrus house sound, unless you want something really in your face, IMO you need to pair them with a neutral speaker or something on the warm side, otherwise you might find the sound rather fatiguing.

I also have a pair of Celestion DL6 which are perhaps a little more neutral sounding. Would these be better suited to a Cyrus amp. Would something like a Rega Mira pair up better with the Missions?

walpurgis
21-12-2014, 19:30
Not wishing to disillusion anybody, but I've used the Cyrus I and II amps and in my opinion I'd sooner save money and get a Denon PMA-250SE or PMA-255 or even better a PMA-350SE. The Denons are available for less money, are well made, sound better (in my opinion) and have enough power to drive a decent speaker. They aren't speaker fussy either.

I've had a couple of PMA-350SE amps and each time I get my hands on one, I'm always amazed how good they sound for such modest money.

istari_knight
21-12-2014, 19:41
A good shout, Sony TA-FB920/930/940 would also be a step up from the I/II IMO.

raygreen
23-12-2014, 00:31
I would never have considered a Sony or Denon but having looked at some of the reviews of these they seem to be excellent with a very attractive price point. Which of these would be a better amp, the Sony TA-FB940 or the Denon PMA-350 (or PMA-355UK - what is the difference???).

YNWaN
23-12-2014, 02:09
Not wishing to disillusion anybody, but I've used the Cyrus I and II amps and in my opinion I'd sooner save money and get a Denon PMA-250SE or PMA-255 or even better a PMA-350SE. The Denons are available for less money, are well made, sound better (in my opinion) and have enough power to drive a decent speaker. They aren't speaker fussy either.

I've had a couple of PMA-350SE amps and each time I get my hands on one, I'm always amazed how good they sound for such modest money.

I'm afraid that doesn't parallel my experience. I don't particularly recall the 350 (so perhaps that is different), but the 250 didn't particularly impress me.

Macca
23-12-2014, 08:42
If you get a 250 make sure it is the original not a Mk2 or 3 as they are just not as good.

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 10:00
I'm afraid that doesn't parallel my experience. I don't particularly recall the 350 (so perhaps that is different), but the 250 didn't particularly impress me.

The 350SE is the 'standout' item really. It's very good.

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 10:14
I would never have considered a Sony or Denon but having looked at some of the reviews of these they seem to be excellent with a very attractive price point. Which of these would be a better amp, the Sony TA-FB940 or the Denon PMA-350 (or PMA-355UK - what is the difference???).

One on eBay. Don't know if photos are of actual item though. Could be stock pics.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/171422552731?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

raygreen
23-12-2014, 12:46

The Denon PMA-350SE has phono plugs on the rear but does not always have a phono stage fitted. Is there any way I could establish if a phono stage has been fitted?

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 13:04
The Denon PMA-350SE has phono plugs on the rear but does not always have a phono stage fitted. Is there any way I could establish if a phono stage has been fitted?

Ask the seller. About a third of them seem to include the phono stage, it's not a bad one either.

If I recall, there's a remote for them too. I'd assume ny Denon amp remote would be likely to work, so eBay could likely provide one.

Personally, I'd still go for a separate phono stage. Something from Graham Slee would do.

I was very impressed when I tried a Denon PMA-350SE again last year. It's clean, lucid and transparent, with plenty of grunt and grip. Compared to my valves and Class A amps it compared surprisingly well.

raygreen
23-12-2014, 13:31
Ask the seller. About a third of them seem to include the phono stage, it's not a bad one either.

If I recall, there's a remote for them too. I'd assume ny Denon amp remote would be likely to work, so eBay could likely provide one.

Personally, I'd still go for a separate phono stage. Something from Graham Slee would do.

I was very impressed when I tried a Denon PMA-350SE again last year. It's clean, lucid and transparent, with plenty of grunt and grip. Compared to my valves and Class A amps it compared surprisingly well.

I did ask the question but the seller did not seem to think it had the phono stage on it (I don't think they were sure to be honest but assume it is not there). Price seems fair. There is also a PMA-355UK on there too. Do you know anything about that one?

Thanks for the advice. Need to revisit ebay...NOW.

istari_knight
23-12-2014, 17:40

The 250 can be a little cold/hard in the wrong system, I agree with Geoff the 350SE tends to be predictably good regardless of ancillaries. Personally I'd take a Sony QS over any of the budget Denons... They are behind in terms of excitement & drive but offer greater refinement & just sound altogether more "grown up" IMO.

The Denon UK editions are the same circuit with "audiophile grade" coupling capacitors... Whether they sound better or just different I dunno :D

raygreen
23-12-2014, 19:54
Hi-fi is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. You think you've got it and there is just a lot more hay to sort through.

Just come across the Pioneer A400 which also sounds like a nice amp. How about the Pioneer A400 V Denon's PMA-350SE?

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 20:05
Hi-fi is like trying to find a needle in a haystack. You think you've got it and there is just a lot more hay to sort through.

Just come across the Pioneer A400 which also sounds like a nice amp. How about the Pioneer A400 V Denon's PMA-350SE?

A400 is a decent sounding amp. PMA-350SE has more punch. Both OK though.

istari_knight
23-12-2014, 20:06
I would say they have more in common than not... Although the Denon phono stage is better than the Pioneer.

raygreen
23-12-2014, 21:05
I would say they have more in common than not... Although the Denon phono stage is better than the Pioneer.

Just bought the Denon PMA-350SE for £79. Looks in good nick and even if there is no phono I think it's a good price (mainly use CD and will be more Spotify shortly). Any opinions how this will pair up with my Mission 751's?

walpurgis
23-12-2014, 21:15
The Denon will drive any normal speaker without bother and sound good.

Let us know how you get on with it. It offers a lot for that sort of money, you'd have to spend a good few hundred quid to better it.

raygreen
23-12-2014, 22:45

Let us know how you get on with it. It offers a lot for that sort of money, you'd have to spend a good few hundred quid to better it.

I will keep you posted. Looking forward to comparing it to my old Arcam Apha. Thank you all for your advice and comments. It has been really helpful.

raygreen
24-12-2014, 10:48

There has been a cock up with the PMA-350SE. Was listed wrong (whybuynew) and is not available. The amp is the PMA-700AE. Available at the same price in silver but does anyone know if it is as good as the PMA-350SE?

walpurgis
24-12-2014, 11:07
There has been a cock up with the PMA-350SE. Was listed wrong (whybuynew) and is not available. The amp is the PMA-700AE. Available at the same price in silver but does anyone know if it is as good as the PMA-350SE?

What a cock up! The PMA-700AE is not one I've used. What Hi-Fi slated it though. Ask for your money back! Merry Christmas! :)

raygreen
24-12-2014, 12:03
What a cock up! The PMA-700AE is not one I've used. What Hi-Fi slated it though. Ask for your money back! Merry Christmas! :)

Couldn't find anything recommending the PMA-700AE so the search goes on. Spotted an A400 and the PMA-350SE will crop up again. Just finding them in good condition as I am a bit of a stickler for looking after my equipment.

istari_knight
24-12-2014, 13:25
Thats annoying !

I've got all of the service manuals [bit of a collector] & the 700AE is just an update of the same circuit used in the 350SE/355UK with a few component substitutions... Lazy Denon are http://i987.photobucket.com/albums/ae352/wobblygts/emoticons/yoda-small1.gif (http://s987.photobucket.com/user/wobblygts/media/emoticons/yoda-small1.gif.html) ... Or perhaps "if it 'aint broke don't fix it" would be more apt.

raygreen
26-12-2014, 07:42
Didn't go for the PMA-700AE and the PMA-250SE sounds better on paper than the PMA-255UK.

How would the Panasonic A400 stack up in competition against the PMA-250SE? Got my eye on both of these being sold at the moment and they sound excellent. The only thing I have reservations about with the A400 is it seems to prefer expensive components to get the best from it.

walpurgis
26-12-2014, 10:11
Didn't go for the PMA-700AE and the PMA-250SE sounds better on paper than the PMA-255UK.

How would the Panasonic A400 stack up in competition against the PMA-250SE? Got my eye on both of these being sold at the moment and they sound excellent. The only thing I have reservations about with the A400 is it seems to prefer expensive components to get the best from it.

The Pioneer is likely to be the best of the two. I've heard both, but not done a side by side comparison. The PMA-350SE is better than either though in my view.

istari_knight
26-12-2014, 19:41
Of the currently available options I would go for the PMA-720AE in the classifieds myself... If you can wait a week or two then get a 350SE & A400 off eBay & sell on the one you like the least... They're cheap enough.

dantheman91
26-12-2014, 19:49
Hi Ray

If you buy a PMA 350SE on the back on the amp above the phono source their is a note if it has a phono card fitted it should say Phono Card Fitted its a rare option though i was lucky mine has it installed........What folk say is true its a value money item for little dosh :)