PDA

View Full Version : FS: Vintage TDL Monitors - 4 way in light oak

Volante
18-12-2014, 10:06
Selling my transmission line 4 way speakers in light oak based on a design for TDL Monitors . Asking £850. I bought them from an elderly hifi gent who told me they had been hand-made in about 2000 by a retired BT engineer who consulted Dr Bailey, the well known Transmission Line expert, in their design using the recommended drivers although he slightly altered the arrangement of the mid driver and the tweeter and super tweeter compared to the TDL manufactured version to improve the sound reproduction and he used the faster Elac woofer which is much lighter than the Kef woofer that apparently is sometimes used in similar TL designs. The build and finish is very good.
More information here: https://drive.google.com/viewerng/viewer?a=v&pid=sites&srcid=ZGVmYXVsdGRvbWFpbnxpbWZlbGVjdHJvbmljc3xneDo2 NDNmOGQ4NjU0NTIzZjAz
When my wife first heard them she said they sounded "full and rich" which was high praise from her.
Being TLs they go very low in the bass department but without being boomy - a claimed 18Hz well below my hearing threshold and up to 35kHz.
They come with their own detachable plinths(in black) as per the original design.
Dimensions are W32 x D48 x H115 (add H7cm for plinth)
Detachable plinth W34 x D48 x H7 cm
Weight about 47Kg each
Although quite big they are quite elegant and slim and have good quality well made copper-brown front grilles, and two sets of speaker terminals for bi-wiring/bi-amping or single wiring if jumpers are used -they did not come with jumpers but obviously short-lengths of any decent speaker cable can be used for jumpers. They are reasonably efficient at 87dB. I have driven them effectively with all sorts of amps.
I will be sorry to see them go but it's time to clear some space. I have seen these go for more than £1000 on Ebay so I think my price is fair for a cracking pair of speakers. Collection only from London or West Sussex.

Gordon Steadman
18-12-2014, 10:17
Might be a good idea to say what your price is?

walpurgis
18-12-2014, 10:25
I like transmission line speakers and those look superb.

Volante
18-12-2014, 10:48
whoops it dropped out of my cut and paste - thanks Nodrog. Price now inserted.

Volante
18-12-2014, 10:55
Thanks Geoff - they are lovely - surprisingly slim and elegant and in very good condition with a very good finish and with a full and rich sound (wife's description) to boot. Will be sorry to see them go but I need to thin out the collection and they re not being used at the moment.

bigmarty
18-12-2014, 13:41
Great looking speakers, hope you get a sale soon.

Marty :D

Gordon Steadman
18-12-2014, 15:25
Thanks Geoff - they are lovely - surprisingly slim and elegant and in very good condition with a very good finish and with a full and rich sound (wife's description) to boot. Will be sorry to see them go but I need to thin out the collection and they re not being used at the moment.

Don''t understand this bit at all. Surely increasing the collection so there are more bits not being used but available should the mood take you is the way to go?? That's how I operate, ask my wife:lol:

DSJR
18-12-2014, 16:04
Beautifully done and if that bass driver is the same as later TDL's, it's a goodie. For those that don't know, the B110 mid driver is available again from Falcon. More obvious doping judging by the pics on their site, but at least they're re-designed and manufactured by the chap who was responsible for the originals.

Volante
18-12-2014, 17:59
Nodrog, Yes I agree I have been operating like that for a while but even the kids are noticing that there seem to be speakers (probably 20 plus pairs but who's counting!) hidden in every cupboard and nook and cranny of the house.