PDA

View Full Version : Beresford Bushmaster II v Beresford Caiman II

raygreen
15-12-2014, 12:47
Before I place an order, being a newbie to DAC's, I just have a few questions that you good folk may be able to help me with rather than pester Stanley with lots of private messages (but he has been very helpful!!!).

- Besides the USB connectivity, what benefits am I likely to get from the Caiman compared to the Bushmaster. Different sound?
- Will a Toslink connection from iMac to DAC be preferable to a USB connection?
- A Tolink converter is required for the headphone socket on the iMac, I assume the DAC end plugs straight in?
- Could a phone music library be used through the USB port? (one advantage of the Caiman)
- This may seem an obvious question (but when you don't know the answer) what lead do I need to connect the DAC to my amp?

Sorry if these questions are really basic but I have been pondering whether to upgrade my basic system first or go for a DAC to take advantage of streaming. Decided on the DAC and the Beresford seems to be the best option at the cost.
Thanks

58bry
15-12-2014, 20:26
Hi, I too pondered the same questions. I emailed Mr Beresford my queries specified the types of sources I intended to use and he replied. Apparently the Bushmaster DAC has 24 bit resolution whereas the Caiman can go up to 32 bit. I decided on the Caiman 7534 MK2 and it arrived last Saturday by special delivery. I will not be using the USB connections as I do not have any interest in computer based music as a source. I do have an ipod classic with music that I take on holidays. I found the Caiman to be very very good with Classical instrumental music.

Desmo
15-12-2014, 21:23
Before I place an order, being a newbie to DAC's, I just have a few questions that you good folk may be able to help me with rather than pester Stanley with lots of private messages (but he has been very helpful!!!).

- Besides the USB connectivity, what benefits am I likely to get from the Caiman compared to the Bushmaster. Different sound?
- Will a Toslink connection from iMac to DAC be preferable to a USB connection?
- A Tolink converter is required for the headphone socket on the iMac, I assume the DAC end plugs straight in?
- Could a phone music library be used through the USB port? (one advantage of the Caiman)
- This may seem an obvious question (but when you don't know the answer) what lead do I need to connect the DAC to my amp?

Sorry if these questions are really basic but I have been pondering whether to upgrade my basic system first or go for a DAC to take advantage of streaming. Decided on the DAC and the Beresford seems to be the best option at the cost.
Thanks

I can answer some of your questions:

- The Caiman II can be used as a pre amp as it has a variable output option - the Bushmaster II does not have this option.

- I don't use any Apple products so can't answer this specifically, I do however use a Toslink connection between the sound card on my Windows PC to my Caiman II and it works very well.

- You need to use a standard pair of RCA phono cables to connect the Caiman II (or the Bushmaster II) to your amplifier.

Hope that helps.

maxrob200
15-12-2014, 23:10
The Caiman II sound quality IMHO is heads and shoulders above the Bushmaster Mk1. I don't use USB connection but have both Toslink and coax spdif as input sources on the CII and they work extremely well. Instant detection and no noise. Terrific midrange and musical drive on the CII.