PDA

View Full Version : DIY Piano Gloss Black?

Mike
12-08-2009, 20:35
As the title says.... Is it beyond the realms of DIY?

Can it be done at home... or is it one of those things that's best left to the professionals?

I'm looking for a 'spot on' finish to some reasonably large boxes. Dunno why, but I get the impression that the larger the surface area, the more skill is required. Yes? :confused:

If its definitely a 'pro' job, can anyone give a recommendation?

Cheers...

The Vinyl Adventure
12-08-2009, 20:54
i know of a few people who have used car re-spray shops to spray metal surfaces ... thats prob an obvious answer and might not apply depending on the surface ... but i bet you if yourang a few spray shops you might find a helpfull person who could advise!

Covenant
12-08-2009, 20:58
The easy answer may be to take it to a car body repair shop. Also the mobile repairers are now very good. Providing you have a smooth surface they should be able to spray and lacquer a nice finish.

aquapiranha
12-08-2009, 21:14
The true king of piano gloss, at least in DIY has to be Shinobiwan. He has the skillz! of that there can be little doubt!

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=83141&highlight=

The Vinyl Adventure
12-08-2009, 21:25
that really is very impressive!

The Grand Wazoo
03-04-2011, 23:52
From The Grave

Jac Hawk
04-04-2011, 00:35
That's a really nice job, the thing is it's not difficult to do, it just takes time and elbow grease.

Rare Bird
04-04-2011, 06:21
I think i'd be tempted to apply an healthy dose of laquer, polish the laquer intead of the paint itself.

Jac Hawk
06-04-2011, 00:09
I think i'd be tempted to apply an healthy dose of laquer, polish the laquer intead of the paint itself.

Me too, i would say flatten off the colour coat then 4 or 5 laquer coats on top, then if it has any orange peel a sand with 2000 grit, then a cutting compound to bring out the shine, i think if you use several coats of laquer rather than paint you get a deeper shine.