PDA

View Full Version : Ankaka Issues

DIMO
13-12-2014, 00:44
Technically probably not Beresford, but it's where the experience lies.
I've had an Ankaka 20000mAH for about a year now and use it far less than I ought to, usually recharging it when the Bushmaster 1 indicates low voltage. It's operated faultlessly until recently. Past couple of weeks there is very little run time before low charge is indicated. Time before last, it occurred after very little playing time, so I gave it a lengthy recharge. This started with BM1 indicating low charge and only gave about an hour's playing before switching out. Brought the Ankaka to somewhere I could see it properly and the charging starts at 6 bars and moves rapidly to (full?) 8.
Any thoughts? Battery memory, failure to charge, a conflict between output voltage and BM1 sensing? Not sure my laptop charger is compatible for charging it, if I find the right connector I could test the Ankaka running my laptop, like what it's designed for :scratch:
Edit: Should point out I use it and charge it in powered down mode.

struth
13-12-2014, 00:56
Kinda sounds like the battery has developed a fault tbh.

Firebottle
13-12-2014, 07:09
Shouldn't be any memory effect with a Lithium Ion battery. The recommended charging is early, i.e. before approaching flat.

Also keep Lithium Ion batteries cool when not in use, for a small battery like a spare camera battery in the fridge is good. This reduces the natural self discharge.

:cool: Alan

StanleyB
13-12-2014, 10:07
Technically probably not Beresford, but it's where the experience lies.
I've had an Ankaka 20000mAH for about a year now and use it far less than I ought to, usually recharging it when the Bushmaster 1 indicates low voltage. .
Use the battery charge level indicator on the Ankaka display to judge if the battery is charged or not. Don't use the BMI battery indicator. I removed that function in later firmware revisions because it can get confused by changing weather conditions.
You should get the battery optimized firmware for the BMI. There are a couple of threads about the battery firmware if you do a search on that.

DIMO
13-12-2014, 22:49
Update:
Measured some output voltages, not clever enough to put any load across the circuit though.
AC+ON On no AC Off
12V 13.6 10.5 10.5
16V 14.8 14.8
19V 19.3 19.3
USB is 5V

With four bars in the battery symbol, 8 in the sloping symbol and set to 19V my laptop won't switch to external power or register charging.

DIMO
06-01-2015, 02:19
Update:
Ran it for a couple of hours with DC attached and charging a GPS via the USB socket, then a bit longer with nothing on the outputs, it now appears to be functioning OK, has powered BM1 for several evenings with no problem and not even a low voltage indication. Confused but happy.

Alp
01-05-2015, 21:55
I have had my Ankaka battery for about a year and is now powering my Capella & Caiman II. I had been leaving it charging when casual listening and only disconnecting the charger when doing some more serious listening. In the last few months is developed a noticeable quiet hiccough through one speaker once every few seconds. More recently, a very noticeable hissing in the other channel with the charger connected. Without the charger connected both effects go away. Thinking the charger might have developed a fault, I splashed out on a new (better) one but get the just same effects. The battery holds the charge well and there are no other obvious problems. Any ideas?