PDA

View Full Version : Loudspeaker Cable

Mike
12-08-2009, 18:02
A while ago, just before Christmas, there was a slightly controversial thread about cables where someone claimed that a certain cable from RS Components was the same as Chord Odyssey. Anyone remember?

At the time I said I would buy some and try it out. Well I have and this is what you get...

http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/9421/p1013682.jpg
By shian7 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/shian7), shot with u30D,S410D,u410D (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=u30D%2CS410D%2Cu410D&make=OLYMPUS+CORPORATION) at 2009-08-12

It costs £75 + VAT for a 25M roll.

The first thing to note is that it's 'single wire' so there's enough to make 12.5M of loudspeaker cable... on the face of it, still good value compared to Chord's offering. The second point is it's pink!... so there must be a dye involved that the Chord cable doesn't contain.

Oh, and there's a name on the drum that is becoming somewhat familiar around here! ;)

http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/5930/p1013681.jpg
By shian7 (http://profile.imageshack.us/user/shian7), shot with u30D,S410D,u410D (http://profile.imageshack.us/camerabuy.php?model=u30D%2CS410D%2Cu410D&make=OLYMPUS+CORPORATION) at 2009-08-12

So... lets see how I get on! :)

Marco
12-08-2009, 18:05
Fret ye not, it'll match yer knickers! :lol:

Marco.

Mike
12-08-2009, 18:10
And yea wee frock! :ner:

Varun
12-08-2009, 18:19
Well well Mike,

I am very interested. May I please know the cable diameter and AWG rating etc. And above all the quality of insulation?

Cheers

Varun

Mike
12-08-2009, 18:24
Hi Varun,

It's 12AWG Silver plated copper (Marco won't like that! :ner:) in PTFE insulation.

Specification:

Attributes

Attribute TypeAttribute ValueCable TypeBS3G 210 Type CConductor-AWG12ColourPinkCore Strands19 / 0.45mmReel Length25mResistant To Chem. And FluidsYesConductor InsulationPTFEConductor MaterialSilver-Plated CopperResistant To RadiationYesCable O-D3.31mmVoltage Rating1000Resistant To UV LightYes
Overview

Type C - Voltage rating 1000V rms

Silver-plated copper stranded equipment wires with PTFE insulation to BS3G 210. They may be used where high reliability with thermal and chemical stability is required. Ideal where contamination from oils, common acids and alkalis or exposure to ultraviolet light may be encountered.
Operating temperature range: -55°C to +200°C.

Marco
12-08-2009, 18:33
Oh, and there's a name on the drum that is becoming somewhat familiar around here!

Wossat then... Bell-end? Sounds about right! :eyebrows: :ner:

Marco.

Mike
12-08-2009, 18:35
Bugger off 'n twang yer thong ya big jessy! :smoking:

DaveK
12-08-2009, 18:37
Fret ye not, it'll match yer knickers! :lol:

Marco.

And yea wee frock!
How do you two know that about each other? - the mind boggles - what sort of forum have I joined? - Firkham 'all here I come, all is foregiven! :lolsign:
Cheers

Marco
Bugger off 'n twang yer thong ya big jessy!

LOL, ya lurves it really... Okies, I'll leave you to play! ;)

Marco.

Mike
How do you two know that about each other?

I have 'Spies'! :eyebrows:

Mike
12-08-2009, 18:40
Okies, I'll leave you to play! ;)

Nah, chip in... the more the merrier! ;) :lol:

Varun
12-08-2009, 19:30
Mike,

May I please ask about "Insulation" being important or is it just to protect the cable from damage. I read about "skin" effect or something like that?

Please enlighten

Cheers

Varun

Mike
12-08-2009, 19:40
Bloody hell, Varun!... that topic alone is probably worth a thesis! :eyebrows:

I can't give you a definitive answer I'm afraid. The possibilities are almost endless, for every claim there'll be a counter claim, and so on...

'Beauty is in the eye of the beholder'! at the end of the day. ;)

Personally speaking... I hate PTFE insulation from a practical point of view, it's a real pain to work with. But it's a very, very good insulator and many many people reckon it has one of the lowest sonic 'signatures' around.

As ever, personal choice matters most.

Varun
12-08-2009, 19:55
Thanks

That is the answer then. I ask because some cable manufacturers only use PVC! I will be getting a new cable silver coated (40u+80u) copper and Rhodium coated interconnects. 4.8mm per conductor is a substantial size I reckon. Will let you know what it sounds like. It is possible that I may not need to run a second cable for the LF-but I probably will go that way as well.

Cheers

Varun

Sand Dancin Donkey Walker
14-08-2009, 16:26
I have 'Spies'! :eyebrows:

Mike

There is a cure for 'Spies'! you know :). Just visit your fiendly STD clinic.

Aside from that, have you done anything with the cable yet?

Andy - SDDW

Mike
14-08-2009, 16:35
It's hooked up in it's 'raw state' at the moment, no plugs or anything. S'ok, shows promise... but nothing to write home about as yet.

Varun
03-09-2009, 20:48
Hi Mike,

I now have the new speaker cables I was expecting. It is a chunky affair and consists of two main conductors and two auxillary ones. Also with the cables have come the Rhodium plated bananas.

I will have to get the local Hi-Fi fellow to sort it out as I simply have no expertise. I have been advised by the manufacturer that although the cable can be locked into the plugs-soldering would be better-so they have very kindly sent me soldering wire as well. Recommended temp 400-450 Celsius.

Your comments please- I will be grateful.

Once I have this cable set up then, the Missing Link cable will become available as will be the Belden 5000UP.

Mike
03-09-2009, 21:08
Recommended temp 400-450 Celsius.

Bloody hell!... That's hot! :uhho:

I'd agree with the soldering recommendation though... That's my preferred method, anyway. :)

DSJR
04-09-2009, 07:41
There are books inches thick on cable ranges. if the audio company want their monika on it, they agree to buy so many kilometres of the stuff and the tooling is adjusted accordingly. From what I remember, the original Rumour and Oddysey were twisted together at Chord, but came as separate conductors, but it's a very long time ago when Rumour first appeared (twenty years or so) and my old brain is full of other important matters these days..

Mike
04-09-2009, 15:50
I've given up on this stuff for the time being. It's a poor bedfellow with the Yam NS-1000's, everything is just a bit too 'up front' and 'in yer face'! :(

Sounded promising with the ML's though, might come back to it another day. ;)

Marco
04-09-2009, 16:36
...And therein lays true 'synergy' - and/or the result of the combined sonic signatures of our system components :)

It's the same with people (mainly dear Jerry, soz!) who say that they find Mark Grant's Belden cables too 'etched', 'forward', or whatever. When I read that, I just shake my head in utter disbelief as they do NOT sound anything like that in my system :scratch:

Quite simply, nothing is a 'given' in this game!

Marco.

Mike
04-09-2009, 17:36
...And therein lays true 'synergy' - and/or the result of the combined sonic signatures of our system components :)

Nah... they're just 'tone controls' after all! :lol:

Marco
04-09-2009, 17:45
Well I would trust what yer Yammies tell ya - they're much more accurate and reliable than those ML thingys you had... Sorry, I'm not a fan! :)

Marco.

DSJR
04-09-2009, 18:24
Yammies are up-front, slightly "dead" in midrange front - back reproduction and there's a strange midrange colouration on them whatever amp you use - in my experience of course and not just with the pair I owned for eighteen months... The mid and top of the ML's should be far superior given a good driving system. It's the matching of bass to panel where they can be weak. I actually preferred the baby ones, as the bass unit was smaller, less extended and gave a "faster" bass because of it... :ner:

Marco
04-09-2009, 18:37
Interesting, Dave. That's not quite how I'd describe the Yammies whenever I've heard them (an understatement)... It's a case of variables, variables and more variables, mixed with our subjective preferences, I guess :)

Whenever I've heard ML's they've sounded a bit 'soft & cuddly', although nicely detailed, to my ears - but that could've been mainly due to the partnering equipment. Therefore, I'm not saying for a second that's intrinsically how they sound. However, from what I've heard so far I've not been remotely tempted to try them.

I like equipment and speakers that reveal the 'truth' (which is why I've always liked monitor-type speakers and broadcast equipment), even when hearing such is not always the most pleasant experience :cool:

Marco.

Varun
02-10-2009, 20:30
Mike,

What is the latest as far as your Yamahas and speaker cables are concerned- Have you found a match yet? I presume it has to be cu only.

Mike
02-10-2009, 20:50
Hi Varun,

No further progress as yet... 'real life', exploding PC's, work, and other annoying trivia keep getting in the way. :(

Varun
02-10-2009, 20:55
Well I am down with 'flu' the nose is blocked (so the ears) that means no listening while I am supposed to stay in.

Let me know if you want to try the Mark Grant's Beldens!